Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trubor.....9mm or 38 Super ?

DenverDave

Kicking around the possibility of either getting a STI Trubor or maybe a DVC Open, wondering which caliber to get 9mm or 38 Super (and yes I reload)
So the question is: Which one and why?

Edited by DenverDave

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More info please Pat.
Why is the .38 Super Comp better?

(please do NOT think this is a capricious or smart a** statement)
I am not so much concerned about cheaper (although it would be nice), I am looking for accuracy, fun and doing it safely.

More reliable, yes 9mm can be made as reliable but it takes more work.

Better powder selection, with more case capacity you have a lot more choices in powder to get it the way you want it.

You will hear people say 9mm is as good, you never hear them say 9mm is better.

You don't hear this about Super lol

.38 cuz it's better, 9mm cuz it's cheaper.

It pretty much boils down to this. I wouldn't say 38 Sup is better (I shoot a DVC in 38 Sup) but IMO is easier to get a recipe. I have shot 9mm out of it also just to try it out. The only thing I don't like about 38 Sup is finding the brass after a match.

Edited by MrRick

There is NO difference between the two ... :sight: :sight:

Yes, it used to be difficult to get the 9mm Major to run, and

there were few powders to use,

BUT, not now. :bow:

We have a M shooter at our range who uses a 9mm Major,

and he wouldn't try a .38 super - because there is NO advantage.

BUT, that brass thing .... Pay $150 for 1,000 pieces of brass in .38 super,

and you want it to last a long time - you do NOT want to leave it on the

ground.

9mm brass - practically free - don't mind leaving it. :mellow:

Now, if you are currently a M shooter, and having a tough time

getting to GM despite firing 50,000 rounds per year and spending

four hours/day dry firing, THEN, MAYBE, you might want to

go for the .38 super. :closedeyes:

But, I doubt it .... :cheers:

Go for the 9mm - lot easier.

I prefer 38 super because I started shooting that and lived in an area where brassing was part of the stage work and someone brassed for you while you checked your targets. That is not the same where I live now and I got tired of hunting brass all the time. I switched to 9mm major and now that its not in the back of my mind, I am shooting a ton more and practicing more. I will leave it to people with more expertise than me about the technical aspects of the rounds. I would have to say that I would suspect you are stressing the brass more in 9mm major than 38 super but without data to back that up, that is just a guess.

You guy's almost have me convinced on 9mm on my next gun. I still just like my 38s but it is the lost brass starting to get to me. How many years ago was it that 85% shot 38s/sc.

Edited by Steelix

I hear you, 9mm Major finally really started taking over in Minnesota and I finally got on that band wagon. I am SO happy I did. I buy bulk 9mm from a few really good sources and I don't pick up brass at a match, I pick it up at the indoor range since its easy.

Starline new 38SC brass is $149 per 1,000. Starline new 9mm is $130 per 1,000. Both prices are retail.

10,000 pieces of 38SC brass = $1490. 10,000 pieces 9mm = $1300. Difference = $190 per 10,000 = 1.9 cents per.

The cost savings is in once fired, or multi-time fired, brass. In that market, there is usually plenty of 9mm brass, not much 38 SC brass. Some of both has been for sale recently here, with 9mm being (ballpark) 6-8 cents per cheaper.

Assuming you can find 9mm that you trust is once fired for 6-8 cents, and you have to buy new 38SC brass, the difference will be roughly $60-$90 per 1,000. Carry that out = $600-$900 additional per 10,000 rounds fired---assuming all brass is lost, all the time.

If the brass is recovered...you started with new brass in 38SC, used in 9mm. How many times you will reload what started as used 9mm brass to major...? If you leave the 9mm brass lay after loading it once, but can find and reload the 38SC brass 1-2 times the cost starts to equal out.

Many prefer 9mm major to 38SC...but I have never heard anyone say they prefer it based on performance, only cost.

So, I bought a 38SC built by Matt McLearn. If I find the brass, great. If I don't? Well, someone will and he/she will get to shoot 38SC for not a lot more money than their buddy who is shooting 9mm major:)

Whatever you buy, have fun with it!

3.5 per is a good price.

Powder Valley mixed for 5.4 per; Midway at 6.0 per is out of stock; Atlanta Arms (probably best deal) 4.4 per and it is processed.

echotango how many times do you load 9mm range brass to major?