Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top SS shooters and .45acp?

Bruce

I have dug around on USPSA website, and can't find anything...was wondering who competes at a high level with the .45? Seems over the years to have been a large migration to .40. Who still uses the .45? Thanks.

I have dug around on USPSA website, and can't find anything...was wondering who competes at a high level with the .45? Seems over the years to have been a large migration to .40. Who still uses the .45? Thanks.

Many SS shooters still prefer 45 as this is the original caliber. The migration to 40 is simply a matter of convenience for reloading as many SS shooters shoot LTD as well. Changing the caliber on your press is one thing but changing the primer system is a bit of work.

In my humble opinion, there is no advantage to shooting 40 in major in the SS platform other than convenience of reloading.

Many SS shooters still prefer 45 as this is the original caliber. The migration to 40 is simply a matter of convenience for reloading as many SS shooters shoot LTD as well. Changing the caliber on your press is one thing but changing the primer system is a bit of work.

In my humble opinion, there is no advantage to shooting 40 in major in the SS platform other than convenience of reloading.

I generally agree with that but it seems that many really good shooters prefer a snappier feeling gun. 40 gives you a little better options with 180 grain bullets. I personally prefer the slow roll of big heavy bullets, but I'm not a really good shooter, just a hard working quickly-aging A. I may change my mind as I get better.

Are downloaded 40 mags easier to seat than 8 rounds of 45 stuffed to capacity? That would seem to be a theoretical advantage to shooting 40 from the eyes of a production shooter.

not all 45 mags are hard to seat. the cmc power mags seat as easily with 8 rounds as they do with 7. I have some sig mags that also seat easily.

the tripp cobras are a little harder. the wilson mags I have (not sure which model, I won them at a match) are near impossible to seat quickly, so I use them for practice, or as my first mag in a field stage.

Also I know this convo is about major, but since ss minor appears at least viable (and possibly advantageous) everywhere except ss nationals, the tripp and dawson 9mm mags seat easily when full.

Edited by motosapiens

Are downloaded 40 mags easier to seat than 8 rounds of 45 stuffed to capacity? That would seem to be a theoretical advantage to shooting 40 from the eyes of a production shooter.

not all 45 mags are hard to seat. the cmc power mags seat as easily with 8 rounds as they do with 7. I have some sig mags that also seat easily.

the tripp cobras are a little harder. the wilson mags I have (not sure which model, I won them at a match) are near impossible to seat quickly, so I use them for practice, or as my first mag in a field stage.

Also I know this convo is about major, but since ss minor appears at least viable (and possibly advantageous) everywhere except ss nationals, the tripp and dawson 9mm mags seat easily when full.

I just asked because I know my Wilson 47d' 8 rounders are difficult to seat. I've never shot single stack in a match though, but it had me considering 40 if I ever made the move.

IF, i were only shooting SS, i would just shoot 45acp. Living in California, makes it somewhat difficult to acquire 40sw SS guns. So, if I were only shooting SS, yes, I would shoot 45.

Plenty to choose from here in the classifies. I wouldn't mind paying the cost of brass, I guess because I wouldn't be buying other guns for Limited, Open,

thanks

Hello: A 45 does have some merit. You can shoot bullet weights from 155-260 grain. Low pressure round. Lots of magazines available that work. Easy to see your brass when on the ground. Large primer so you can usually find primers in stock. You can even use small primer in some of the brass. Can load easily with lots of different powders. Downside is finding once fired brass, although I just picked up 300 rounds at the range today. Thanks, Eric

Downside is finding once fired brass, although I just picked up 300 rounds at the range today. Thanks, Eric

work a match or two and you can clean up on many-times fired brass, and since it's a low-pressure round, the brass lasts forever. I worked a 1911-only match last year and picked up a couple thousand pieces of 45 brass afterwards. But at our local matches we actually retrieve brass, and the 45 shooters get pretty much all of it back, so I only lose brass for the 1 or 2 majors where I shoot 45 ( if that many).

It has not been my experience that fully loaded Dawson 9mm mags are easy to seat in my STI Trojan.

The Wilson 45acp ETM mags are not hard to seat with 8 rounds.

I thought about building a .40 for SS since I just started loading 40 for LTD. I have thought about being able to shoot the same pistol for SS major and minor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wilson 45acp ETM mags are not hard to seat with 8 rounds.

+1 I have four that combined have fed 40,000 rounds. They are still all-original. I just bought four more for a second pistol I'm building.

It has not been my experience that fully loaded Dawson 9mm mags are easy to seat in my STI Trojan.

that is interesting. I wonder what the issue is. I have an sti uspsa model (with a dawson mag catch) and a dw pm9 with an ed brown mag catch and they seat very easily in both guns. When they stop seating easily in practice, I know it's time for me to empty out all my dummy round and make sure none of them are starting to come apart.

The main advantages to 40 SS, are better feed reliability, common caliber for the guys running 1050's and faster slide speeds. Once you get good at tracking your sights, you want them back on target quicker.

The main advantages to 40 SS, are better feed reliability, common caliber for the guys running 1050's and faster slide speeds. Once you get good at tracking your sights, you want them back on target quicker.

you are saying you get better feed reliability with 40 than with 45? You are the first person I have heard say that.