Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sluggish slide movement on Stock 2?

MilkMyDuds

Every now and then, maybe 5 out of 300 rounds, I would feel the slide is not returning as quickly as usual. It's a bit delayed with some friction feeling that I can feel when it does return. It never, however, caused trigger freeze or any other malfunction. It just feels strange.

Is this because of insufficient lube? I use Slip2000 and not sure if I should try others such as SlideGlide.

Or maybe it's a timing issue? Or maybe I should up/down the recoil spring poundage?

I am running 9# Wolff and 130 PF 9mm load.

I had that with a lim pro... polishing the extractor and breech face, so the rounds can slide up easier helped tremendously.

Next an inspection of the rails showed a bit of machining swarf remained attached in a rail. Cleaned that up and all is well.

The best lube I've found is the Lubriplate SFL-1. It is a "grease" (technically its an aluminum based soap), and its a much better lubricant than oil for gun slides. You can go 2000 rounds between cleanings and at the end it still feels better than any oil lubricated gun I've felt. Oil is a poor lubricant type for gun slides, but for some reason people keep using it.

The best part is that you can buy a grease gun canister for $12 and split it with 4 people. So that's $3 for over 2 years worth of the best lube you can get.

Edited by Nealio

You can buy directly from the manufacture. $20 for 14oz can but shipping is $14 for me.

https://www.lubriplate.com/Online-Store/Rifle-Greases/SFL-1.html

Someone try this before I jump from SlideGlide to this :)

Just found out MidWayUSA has it too, much cheaper:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/379954/lubriplate-sfl-0-gun-grease-14-oz-can

Edited by MilkMyDuds

I had that feeling with mine when I had a 8lb recoil spring so I went back to a 9. When I used the factory mags which have weaker springs than the mecgars I didn't feel the sluggish slide. But once I went to all mecgars I changed to the 9lb since.

Midway has sfl-0 instead of 1. Have you tried that one nealio?

I found the 0 to not last as long in the summer here in Idaho when its 100+. If it doesn't get that hot where you live, then the 0 would probably be fine. I run the SFL-1 even in the winter when its 10 degrees out. My buddy and I even did a test because some people tell me that it will cause your gun to be sluggish (which is BS). We buried my buddy's Stock II in snow and let it sit there for 15 minutes. It was 20 degrees out. He dug it out, ran several mags through it without issue. I've ran my gun at 0 degrees on up without issue. The only "issue" you will see is pistol powder slows down a bunch when you're shooting at 0 degrees, and you'll get short strokes. I've turned a bunch of people onto this stuff and nobody has been disappointed.

Also I just buy it locally from a lubricant distributor called Motion Industries. They have offices all over the US.

https://www.motionindustries.com/miLocations.jsp

I've though about just re-packaging the stuff and then charging like $20 an ounce. I'm sure people would believe how good it is then.. ;)

Oh and to apply it just buy an "acid brush" from Home Depot or whatever is in your area. Paint a very thin layer on the frame rails and also on the slide rails.

Edited by Nealio

Also I just buy it locally from a lubricant distributor called Motion Industries. They have offices all over the US.

https://www.motionindustries.com/miLocations.jsp

I've though about just re-packaging the stuff and then charging like $20 an ounce. I'm sure people would believe how good it is then.. ;)

You'll have to add some sort of cinnamon or minty fresh scent to it if you're gonna have people believe that it's good stuff! :P

I've got a Motion Ind local... gonna go see if they have some in stock tomorrow. Thanks!

Called the local Motion Ind, they would have to order the Lubriplate SFL-1. Cost would be $14 something plus $14 something for shipping plus tax for the 14.5 oz tube. Looked on eBay and ordered this http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUBRIPLATE-PRODUCTS-L0197-098-Grease-Aluminum-Complex-Semi-Solid-14-5-Oz-/301729244931?hash=item464076e703:g:~6sAAOSwTapV5g48

Called the local Motion Ind, they would have to order the Lubriplate SFL-1. Cost would be $14 something plus $14 something for shipping plus tax for the 14.5 oz tube. Looked on eBay and ordered this http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUBRIPLATE-PRODUCTS-L0197-098-Grease-Aluminum-Complex-Semi-Solid-14-5-Oz-/301729244931?hash=item464076e703:g:~6sAAOSwTapV5g48

Now you just need to find 4 friends to split it with ;)

Limited Pro here:

I'm just trying the Birchwood Casey Firearm grease that I got from BASS Pro. It's a red grease and it feels very smooth.

I just got rid of a graphite-based gun grease that felt gritty.

All the CLP's I've used on this gun are gone after 60-100 rounds (only gun of mine that does that).

I've had the slow to react slide too, that I've had to slap in the rear to make go back into battery after reloads (and only after reloads).

I had a gunsmith work on the rails, while I've polished everything else I could find in it.

With no rounds in the gun, it feels a little rough as the barrel starts to come back up to lock up with the slide.

I just polished the linkage part of the barrel, because there appeared to be a lot of tool marks on it.

We'll see how that polishing work and the new grease work.

I would definitely like to hear how slide-glide is working though.

Edited by robport

Nealio, not all handgun loads get slower in the cold.

. My two personal favorites (Solo1000 and the WST I replaced it with) are both inverse temp sensitive. I prefer that since I live in the south. If I make PF on one of the 100* days we shoot in all summer long, I know I'm good to go at a match late in the fall up North.