Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maximum Sound Levels

mont1120

I was at the first practice match of the year in the NW, and was standing behind the starting box by about 15 feet when a competitor fired off his first open rifle shot, and the noise blast was incredible. Now, I'm an old geezer and have lost about 50% of my hearing due to rock music and shooting without ear protection, (yes, those days did exist when wearing ear plugs was considered sissy), but the decibel level even hurt my ears with electronic hearing muff protection. It was deafening.

With the advances in recoil reduction, the rise of open shooters, and the 9MM major guns taking forefront, it would seem we are reaching noise levels that can hurt an RO's ears. Has anyone actually tested the levels we are seeing now in relation to the RO standing off to the side watching the competitor? In my estimation, the levels might be exceeding the levels which most present day hearing devices will not work correctly for.

If we are, it would stand there are some resolutions that are going to become necessary. Asking RO's to get their ears blasted round after round seems counterproductive.

If I'm going to be running shooters all day at a USPSA match, I double up.

If I'm going to be running shooters at a Multigun match (or shooting one, for that matter), I double up.

"In my estimation, the levels might be exceeding the levels which most present day hearing devices will not work correctly for."

This seems unlikely, considering the types of work in which people use hearing protection. This is separate from whether or not people are actually wearing the hearing protection that they should.

What I meant by present day hearing devices are the one most shooters are using. There are certainly hearing protection out there that will handle incredible levels of sound, but I will bet foam plugs and average hearing muffs are not among them. Also, very, very few shooters other then RO's wear double hearing unless they are shooting the comped guns.

What I meant by present day hearing devices are the one most shooters are using. There are certainly hearing protection out there that will handle incredible levels of sound, but I will bet foam plugs and average hearing muffs are not among them. Also, very, very few shooters other then RO's wear double hearing unless they are shooting the comped guns.

Respectfully I have to disagree. In my area there is a lot of discussion among those I shoot with regarding the best hearing protection options. It's very common to see folks using some of the higher end options, and I don't see too many folks using plain foam plugs.

Personally, I use high quality plugs and msa sordins. I did a number on my hearing when I was young and need to hold onto what I have. After trying many options this is what works best for me under a variety of conditions.

^^^^^ this

Look at the NRR rating of your ear pro. Most foam plus are around 30, a large portion of the muffs I see are low 20s (yes you can get good ones but that takes a little effort) then you put some glasses on, breaking the seal between your head and the muff and they do even less

Edited by bikerburgess

^^^^^ this

Look at the NRR rating of your ear pro. Most foam plus are around 30, a large portion of the muffs I see are low 20s (yes you can get good ones but that takes a little effort) then you put some glasses on, breaking the seal between your head and the muff and they do even less

Yup. If I'm only wearing single ear pro, they are in-the-ear. If I double, then I add an over-the-head active set.

I personally see lots of people who double-plug. In USPSA matches, I see both ROs and people who shoot Open double-plug. In Multigun, I see all sorts of people double-plug.

Foam plugs are actually one of the better options IF PROPERLY INSTALLED.

This and an observation, I have seen a trend where shooters buy cheap hearing protection from places like Harbor Freight and Home Depot thinking they are getting a deal. Cheaper is not always better.

I double up all the time with molded plugs that have filters and Pro Ears. If I find there are exceptionally loud guns like my AR on my squad, I change the plugs to custom without filters under the pro ears.

Some guns are louder than others but some people have more sensitive hearing than others. I want to maintain my hearing as long as possible but don't tell my wife. She thinks it has deteriorated a lot over the years :roflol:

I've been using the Peltor Tac 6s since they first came out for all competition. My 3 gun rifles have Miculek comps, and I have no problem with my G31 .357SIG at a 178 floor. The problem with foam and muffs is they are static rated EPNdb (estimated perceived noise reduction, as measured by units of decibels, the ratio of 2 power levers,ie, a logarithmic value), and work best for steady state noise at certain frequencies, such as jet engine, air compressors, whereas the dynamic electrics clip transient noise sound above 82 db and boost below 42 db. Course you have to have a proper seal around your ears. Plugs and muffs are better than nothing, but they are not a dynamic response.

Edited by 9x45

Foam plugs are actually one of the better options IF PROPERLY INSTALLED.

+1 on PROPERLY INSTALLED. I try to use both headset and foam plugs when I am ROing. So many of the shooters don't put plugs in correctly. I hear a ton of excuses but the bottom line is that they won't work if you don't put them in right. Roll them up tight, twist them in, wait until they expand fully, If the plugs are hanging out of your ears, they aren't doing anything. If you've got one of the above mentioned excuses wait until you get home from shooting, if you hear ringing in your ears that's your bodies way of telling you that you screwed up, and for your trouble you get to loose some of your hearing. The more you do it, the more you get to loose. Trust me, I worked in metal shops all my life and now my favorite word is " huhh ".

For indoor IDPA, usually, I'll run some acoustically neutral plugs (about 23dB ) and electric muffs (27dB ) should get me to almost 30dB and still be able to have normal conversation.

I think I am just going to start running either 31dB or 33dB plugs.

Edited by IronArcher

Talk with some old navy gunners. the vibration still travels through the bones in your face and impacts the inner ear parts. That said, I still double plug when needed.

Oh, I had an SV IMM which was murder on the ROs. I felt sorry for them but loved the dot movement. :surprise:

Talk with some old navy gunners. the vibration still travels through the bones in your face and impacts the inner ear parts. That said, I still double plug when needed.

Oh, I had an SV IMM which was murder on the ROs. I felt sorry for them but loved the dot movement. :surprise:

some doctor type guy studied this in the 90's on the 115 loads at +175 and said this was happening on comped guns.

don't remember all that was said cuz I couldn't hear him very well.