Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Gun

falconew

I Have been shooting a little over two years now maybe 10-15 matches so far USPSA/IPSC. The gun i currently am shooting is a Springfield xd sub-compact in 40 production class. i know just not the best gun of choice,but now i am thinking that i want to step up to a better gun. some of the guys i know and shoot with have the full raceguns. i am not that serious to spend several 1000 on a gun and gear. I was thinking between 1000-1500 range with the ability to modify later on. What are your recommendations? Thanks

production class does not allow a mag well. In production you use a factory gun with internal mod only. if you want to use a mag well you would have to go to limited or Open class for that. A red dot sight is Carry Optics or Open class

I have had a XD tricked out by Springer Precision. Really nice gun. It could be used in a variety of division included 3G. Sold it since I did not shoot it as well as I thought I should. It was a me issue not a gun issue. Scott gave me an incredible trigger job. Close to my Kodiak Precision SVs. I just sucked at a plate rack with it.

I picked up a CZ and had Angus and his group do some work on it. Awesome. I had a trigger job you would not believe. I have several SV with the CZ style steel grips. So the was no learning curve. It was 9mm. So I could shoot a variety of division. Just as a side note, I have shot my 9mm SV 3gun and did very very well in Limited.

CZ is a great gun. Have a great trigger performed on it and you cannot go wrong.

For limited the Tactical Sport is good to go out of the box. trigger pull 2# or less. You will need some mags 3 more( comes with 3). upgrades, Mag well, Grips,base pads, springs & follower, done!

CZ 75 Tactical Sports 40S&W 91171 $1,106.00

http://czcustom.com/CZ-75-Tactical-Sports-40SandW.aspx

Base pads $38.00 ea

http://czcustom.com/cztacticalsportextendedbasepadsilver.aspx

Springs & followers $16.90 ea.

http://czcustom.com/czcspringandfollowerkit10.aspx

Mag well I use the Czechmate one. $85.00

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/203047000002_Czechmate-Aluminum-Magwell

Don't walk, but run away from anything made by Para.

You can't go wrong with a CZ. You don't have to go all out on the Accu-shadow. Some of the lower cost CZ's work just as well.

howdy neighbor... i have shot the gun before what is the major issues with them

When I decided to shoot Limited, I didn't have time to build a 2011. I was knee deep in another build at the time. I had shot several Tactical Sports and likjed them. So I bought one in 40 figuring I could get most of my money back when I sold it.

After shooting it for a year, I'm not going to. I have zero problems with mine. I don't have to load long. I can use factory without feeding problems. It is not temperamental. You cannot say the same for all 2011s.

I changed out the frtont sight, added a full length guide rod and extended bases for the mags. I bought a 4th mag w/extension because I was told I needed four. The 4th has never left the range bag at a match.

Prices have droped so you can buy a TS for $1100. Add $120 for mag extensions and $65 for a FO front sight and you are good to go. Add $60 if you want springs and followers for 21 reloadable.

I am giving a shout out to Tanfoglio Limited Elite in 40. Comes with magwell (not the biggest on out there, but still good sized) fiber optic front sight, drilled and tapped for thumb rest or optic. I absolutely love mine and you can pick them up $1066 on oakhillguns.com right now. People try to tell you that you can't get parts or customer service is bad, but I don't buy that. I have only had to call them once for a new extractor, but it was easy and fast. Had the new part in about a week.

I'll be that guy. :)

Classes are for shooters. Divisions are for guns.

sper, but some shooters have no class regardless of what division they are in......

As sper already said, Para's are junk, one day all the parts will just fall out of them.

Since I have been shooting Glocks since 92, I would just buy 3 more G17's, but of the other choices for Production, the CZ's are kick ass. My shooting partner runs one. They have a couple of things that all the CZ guys fix, usually Cajon gun works or Agnus (CZ custom). I think they have way better triggers than 1911's. If you want to run Limited, then for low $$$ a Glock 35, for big $$$, an STI.

I'll be that guy. :)

Classes are for shooters. Divisions are for guns.

sper, but some shooters have no class regardless of what division they are in......

As sper already said, Para's are junk, one day all the parts will just fall out of them.

Since I have been shooting Glocks since 92, I would just buy 3 more G17's, but of the other choices for Production, the CZ's are kick ass. My shooting partner runs one. They have a couple of things that all the CZ guys fix, usually Cajon gun works or Agnus (CZ custom). I think they have way better triggers than 1911's. If you want to run Limited, then for low $$$ a Glock 35, for big $$$, an STI.

I would add Mathew Mink's name to the list of CZ gunsmiths.

Don't let people fool you that you can run a Glock in limited for cheap. You will buy a magwell, sights, trigger, springs, firing pin, safety plunger, etc etc etc and end up with over a $1000 gun. That is fine if you like Glock (I ran a 35 all tricked out), but they are not any cheaper then a CZ or a Tanfoglio once you get going.

eern, nor are they as good IMO. Plus you'll have to buy a Tungsten guide rod to get some weight up front. Plastic guns recoil more sharply and higher than steel guns. Comparing any of my buddy's three Glocks to my TS is a joke. I'm faster on the second shot because my TS does not rotate up as much. In a typical 24 shot stage, I'm 1 to 1.5 seconds faster than him, even though he moves faster than I do. The difference is in the splits. He is slower on the second shot because his lightened slide Glocks recoil farther.

When I first started shooting sanctioned USPSA matches, I was told to wait until the sight settled before taking the second shot. I wasn't sure exactly what that meant, but I thought it was aiming the second shot. It wasn't. It was gun control. I could not figure out (initially) why I scored mid-pack when my hit percentages were 90+% A. The difference was in the splits. Mine were in the .5-.6 second range while the master shooters were in the .1-.2 second range. On a 32 shot stage that split difference added up to 6.4 seconds. That's huge. Once I learned a proper grip so the front sight always returned to the same spot, I could time the second shot instead of aiming and my splits improved markedly.

Any way you cut it, a Tactical Sport with its weight up front, good trigger and low bore axis is easier to shoot well than any poly, striker fired pistol. Right now, I prefer it to the 5" 2011s I've shot.

Shoot a bunch of different guns first before deciding. Its ok to covet thy neighbors gun.

But for me the big question is: Do you reload already? If not, I would continue shooting the gun I already have and invest in a good press.

The gun is the cheap part. Keeping it fed is the expensive part IMO.