Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First book to get?

RadioFlyer

Looking to get my first book to read since I'm new to competing and want to start a foundation of training and things I should be paying attention to while I start this sport. I want to start good habits, not bad ones I have to learn to break.

Where should I start?

Get one of Ben's or Andrson's books, work those for a while. Brian's book is not for the beginner. It is way to Zen to pick up until you have done this for a bit. Anderson's Book "Get to work" and Bens last Video are best for beginners.

Brian's book was the first I purchased. Got it when it first came out. And its the only shooting book I can tell you exactly where it resides. For me its been an invaluable reference.

Now you've got me wondering if there were any updates to the book in the past 25 years or so that would require I get one.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Hmmm... Maybe that's why Brian's book didn't work for me. I have only read it once and Zen is not my thing? If I were only going to get one book it would be Steve Andersons dry fire book.

Anderson's Book "Get to work" and Bens last Video are best for beginners.

I concur that both of those are great places to start. I have a couple of ben's books, all of steve's, and brian's. I think the simplest way to get going is to just get the thirdest book steve anderson wrote (get to work), and then write 1000 times on a blackboard that learning to see the sights lift and call your shots is the most important skill to work on. Once you get that, you will get a LOT more out of every other bit of training you do.

• 2 weeks later...

.... Brian's book is not for the beginner. It is way to Zen to pick up until you have done this for a bit. ....

At the very least, it is good to have some experience in shooting accurately, before you read it.

He did, before he got into practical shooting.

I did, before I read it the first time. Having a passing acquaintance with Zen from a few years of karate, in my younger years, may have helped too....

I ditto everyone saying an Anderson's book, I have refinement and repetition. I haven't read Brian's book, yet, but I plan to soon. When you are a new shooter there are way more physical skill based things to learn before you get wrapped up in the Zen of shooting more efficiently inside your own head, at least in my train of thought.

I'm not going to recommend any one specific book. I will say that you should get one of the above recommended books, read it, reread it, understand what the book is saying and apply it to your training.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk