Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load to division capacity

bret

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does load to division capacity mean?

Is it mandatory to load to the maximum in the division capacity or does the division capacity mean the maximum that may be loaded?

It's an IDPA thing

I don't shoot IDPA.

Is it mandatory to load to the maximum in the division capacity or does the division capacity mean the maximum that may be loaded?

It's an IDPA thing

I don't shoot IDPA.

Then where'd you hear the term "division capacity"? I don't see that anywhere in the rulebook. The appendix lists a maximum ammunition capacity for certain divisions, but you can load less than that in the mag if you want.

It's an IDPA thing
I don't shoot IDPA.
Then where'd you hear the term "division capacity"? I don't see that anywhere in the rulebook. The appendix lists a maximum ammunition capacity for certain divisions, but you can load less than that in the mag if you want.

USPSA

It's an IDPA thing
I don't shoot IDPA.

USPSA

No such term in the USPSA rulebook. Like waktasz said, a WSB or a competitor at a USPSA match who shoots IDPA too. (IDPA doesn't allow downloading mags to "tailor" slide locks to specific places in the course of fire, such a concept is alien to USPSA, actually the concept of shooting to slide lock is somewhat "alien" too. :roflol: )

Edited by Bkreutz

That would depend. In some instances, there may be a mag limit for some rifle divisions (usually a "Limited" division that may limit to 30rds or 20rds in a "Heavy" division).

Generally, pistols are limited by magazine length, but again, in some "Limited/Factory" divisions you might see a limit on the number of rds in a magazine (like "Factory" in 3GN rules only allows 15 in mags and Heavy Optics limits to 10rds.)

There are limits on most any division other than Open with regards to starting capacity with shotgun. Generally 8+1 for a loaded gun start or 8 only with an empty chamber start. In some rule sets they may allow 9 in the tube with an empty chamber start, but that is not usually the case.

No way to answer your question without knowing which rule set your match was using.

This type thing is a common frustration with so many different 3G/MG rulesets. Gotta get into the rules for a given match to know the answer to your question.

Edited by wgj3

In tactical division it is 8+1 to start, after the buzzer you can load more.

That is a Maximum, if you load 10, you move to open.

I have never read there is a minimum but some guys said load to division capacity means you have to put a total of 9 in it to start.

I never saw any rule that gives a Minimum round count, only Maximum.

The match I shot Saturday is under USPSA rules, but they are starting to get guys ready for 3 gun nation match coming up.

So I guess it is a combination of USPSA which needs some work on their rules and 3 gun nation.

The guy in charge of 3 gun nation at first said load to division capacity means you have to load 9, then later Saud if you want to game the rules it's OK to load less.

How is following the rules gaming?

On a WSB probably? It would really only apply to Production, L10 and Single Stack and is unnecessary verbiage anyway.

This question came up at the match yesterday, where we shot 06-03 "Can you count?" as a classifier.

String 1: Engage T1 with five rounds only. Perform a mandatory reload and engage T2 with five rounds only.

String 2: Engage T3 with five rounds only. Perform a mandatory reload and engage T4 with five rounds only.
There was a discussion as to if it is legal to download your mags to only 5 rounds so you don't go over the Virginia count, or must you load to the division capacity?

On a WSB probably? It would really only apply to Production, L10 and Single Stack and is unnecessary verbiage anyway.

This question came up at the match yesterday, where we shot 06-03 "Can you count?" as a classifier.

String 1: Engage T1 with five rounds only. Perform a mandatory reload and engage T2 with five rounds only.

String 2: Engage T3 with five rounds only. Perform a mandatory reload and engage T4 with five rounds only.
There was a discussion as to if it is legal to download your mags to only 5 rounds so you don't go over the Virginia count, or must you load to the division capacity?

Perfectly legal but why would you want to go to slide lock? Better to run 6 and 4 instead. What happens when you have a jam and you rack out a live round?

Yes it's legal but I have no idea why people do this. If you seriously can't count to five I don't think you should be allowed to leave the house, let alone handle a gun.

Well this was posted in the USPSA/IPSC forum so we should be referring to that. IDPA has their own nuances. But in USPSA multigun the WSB will sometimes say loaded to division capacity for shotguns, which is usually capped at 9.

Division Capacity is the Maximum not a minimum or required amount.

If the written stage brief says load 9 shells, then that is the minimum and maximum allowed.

I had 7 pieces of steel, so I loaded 8, double tapped the last piece of steel.

I then shot the 3 paper targets with the handgun, did a reload and then shot the other 3 paper targets.

Some guys said we had to load 9, it was part of the rules, I asked which rule it was they then said it was a 3 gun nation rule, the 3 gun had always been USPSA rules but they have added some 3 gun nation classifies to get people ready for a 3 gun nation match in March.

If a guy says something is against the rules they should be able to show the rule, otherwise how do you enforce it?

So, the answer to "Can You Count?" is no? :roflol:

You can download to zero if you think it is a good idea. The only rule on mag loading, other than division restrictions, is that the WSB cannot restrict the mag loading to less than division maximum.

ETA: USPSA Handgun rules

Edited by ChuckS

Perfectly legal but why would you want to go to slide lock? Better to run 6 and 4 instead. What happens when you have a jam and you rack out a live round?

I had a classifier

1st string 6 shots on target, no shoots on either side of the A Zone.

I thought I would be slick and put only 6 rounds in, things were great until I had to rack the 5th round on the ground, I did have 5 alphas and 1 Mike real fast.

2nd string

Fire 6 shots on a traget, reload fire 6 shots on 2nd target.

I had my magazines loaded already

7 and 5.

So I counted 6 shots reloaded and let her rip on the last target.

Even with the Mike I did pretty good for me on that classifier.

All Aloha's 1 Mike, pretty fast for me.

Yes it's legal but I have no idea why people do this. If you seriously can't count to five I don't think you should be allowed to leave the house, let alone handle a gun.

I didn't do it, but there were people that did and/or suggested it. Believe it or not I actually successfully counted to 5....four times. Yay me! :goof:

For multigun the issue comes up a lot with shotguns. You can have a 20 shot tube in limited but you have to start the stage at division cap, I think its 8, but once the stage starts you can load 20 shots in the gun.

For multigun the issue comes up a lot with shotguns. You can have a 20 shot tube in limited but you have to start the stage at division cap, I think its 8, but once the stage starts you can load 20 shots in the gun.

Limited or Tactical is 8 plus 1, sometimes an unloaded start, after the buzzer you can load it up, just can't have more in before the buzzer or you go to open.

I am not sure if open is worth shooting in 3 gun.

I have an M4 with an 18 shot tube, ditching it is a pain, my Super Black Eagle II has a 14 shot tube, it's almost on the verge of bring too long sometimes.

If I go open I have a versa max with an Xrail.

Agreed! Shot this in our match Saturday as well and multiple people asked me the same question. I said "load whatever you want in your gun, but you're making a mistake loading 5 if you ask me as it will most definitely be slower than you counting to 5"