Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell us about a reloading tool you wished somebody made

RCBS does make that that already, called a Lube Die. It is a hollow bodied decapping die with different sized felt inserts that are saturated with lube so you decap and lube before sizing. They came out with this when they started doing their progressive presses.

Neal in AZ

How well does the Lube Die work?

I'm starting to get some ideas for my 550...

Station 1 Lube Die

Station 2 Decapper/Sizer

Station 3 Trimmer

Retumble to remove the lube while I swap the toolhead, add primers and powder, and go right into loading.

Damn, I'm never gonna get my new shotgun if I keep thinking up ways to spend money......

Edited by jkrispies

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RCBS does make that that already, called a Lube Die. It is a hollow bodied decapping die with different sized felt inserts that are saturated with lube so you decap and lube before sizing. They came out with this when they started doing their progressive presses.

Neal in AZ

Most of the reviews I've read were negative on them

And for those wanting a Dillon bullet feeder. Didn't we learn that they won't make one because of some laws about being an ammo manufacturer or something like that? Maybe international laws prohibit them? I don't remember exactly but thought it was along those lines

Edited by Sarge

And for those wanting a Dillon bullet feeder. Didn't we learn that they won't make one because of some laws about being an ammo manufacturer or something like that? Maybe international laws prohibit them? I don't remember exactly but thought it was sling those lines

That doesn't make 100% sense to me. I always understood their story was they didn't believe they had built one yet that was 100% reliable and as such had not released one. I can't see how adding a bullet feeder crosses some legal line.

Lee make bullet feeders and case feeders for the pro1000 and load master. Hornady make both. Rcbs has a bullet feeder for their new pro5 and pro7 and rumour is case feeder is coming soon.

Still the aftermarket solution for 650s and 1050s from mr bulletfeeder works very, very well.

Commercial presses use very fancy collators that feed the press directly with primers. I was told that the collator alone starts at $3000

Yes, I am sure of that, but I am wondering how they control all those detonation-related issues.

Commercial presses use very fancy collators that feed the press directly with primers. I was told that the collator alone starts at $3000

Yes, I am sure of that, but I am wondering how they control all those detonation-related issues.

I kind of started to explore the manufacture of powder at the height of the 'powder shortage' . A friend of mine is a chemist and had quite a bit of experience manufacturing hazardous items. He said the cost of safety control items would be extremely cost prohibitive. The explosion control of the large primer collators would be explosion resistant and have fire suppression.

And for those wanting a Dillon bullet feeder. Didn't we learn that they won't make one because of some laws about being an ammo manufacturer or something like that? Maybe international laws prohibit them? I don't remember exactly but thought it was sling those lines

That doesn't make 100% sense to me. I always understood their story was they didn't believe they had built one yet that was 100% reliable and as such had not released one. I can't see how adding a bullet feeder crosses some legal line.

Lee make bullet feeders and case feeders for the pro1000 and load master. Hornady make both. Rcbs has a bullet feeder for their new pro5 and pro7 and rumour is case feeder is coming soon.

Still the aftermarket solution for 650s and 1050s from mr bulletfeeder works very, very well.

Found the thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=120726#entry1366869

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=120726#entry1369629

On the case prep set up what could you do with a dillon bl550 ? It gives you four stations under $300

I've been mulling the same thing. I think it could do everything needed from sizing/de priming, trimming, and neck sizing. Incapable of Swaging for crimped primer pockets would be the negative.

Unless something could be created for the unused priming station to swage? Maybe that could be the new product.

Edited by jkrispies

Neal in AZ

My short experience with this die was that it led to the collapsed necks and folds typical of over lubing brass. Maybe I was using it wrong.

I would like to see a quick detach for dillon powder measures. It is a very minor annoyance, but I hate moving them from press to press.

On the case prep set up what could you do with a dillon bl550 ? It gives you four stations under $300

I've been mulling the same thing. I think it could do everything needed from sizing/de priming, trimming, and neck sizing. Incapable of Swaging for crimped primer pockets would be the negative.

Unless something could be created for the unused priming station to swage? Maybe that could be the new product.

There is one of those. I think gs customs makes a swager for both the 650 and 550. I have not used either and they will void your warranty, so use with caution...

There is one of those. I think gs customs makes a swager for both the 650 and 550. I have not used either and they will void your warranty, so use with caution...

Thanks for the heads-up on the GS Customs swage. I did a little research, though, and it doesn't appear to work especially well.

the swage it is also releasing a 550 swage tool at the end of the month

http://swageit.com/news/dillon-550-swager-update/

I remember reading "if Dillon had a bullet feeder, that would put them as a defensive article and subject to ITAR registration. Currently, they are not under ITAR for their machines. Adding a bullet feeder would do so."

That said Lee, Hornady, RCBS all have them and are sold across the pond, so I don't know if that is BS or not.

As far as the ITAR argument goes... what's the difference between a case feeder and a bullet feeder? Nothing, in my view. They are both simply labor saving devices. One saves you from handling cases piece by piece... the other from handling projectiles piece by piece. Why allow a case feeder and not a bullet feeder? Since case feeders ARE allowed, by that logic Dillon should be able to sell a press with a bullet feeder, but NOT include a case feeder and therefore not be subject to ITAR registration.

it is a topic drift...

I am pretty sure it is possible to build a machine that makes ammo

if you put in brass cases, live primers, powder, and bullets, and does so

without any one doing anything other than flipping the on switch.

some where between a one die press and the Mr. Ammo above

is where ITAR kicks in.

where do you think it should be?

my thinking is about 500 primers.

back to topic

I think index marks on the dies may be a good idea.

the locking nuts would also have to be marked.

miranda