Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to do with extra 550 hole?

I am planning on buying a 550 after Christmas. I plan on loading mainly my high volum ammo(9mm.45ACP and 38) and continue to load my rifle stuff on my Rockchucker...for now(I suspect a complete changeover will come).

I will be using my RCBS 3 die set on the 550B.

Question #1, What do most people do with the empty station?

Thanks

AR15-SBR

Use a 4 die set up, I guess u could try a powder check, but most seat and crimp in separate stations

Agreed. But if 3 dies work OK I guess you could use a powder check or maybe put an FCD in there

Cnote...seat and crimp in seperate stations...but why. I don't want to come off as a jerk, so please hear me out. I have been shooting and reloading for over 30 years and during that time my RCBS Rockchucker and RCBS dies have made MANY thousands of accurate pistol rounds. This is why I ask about seating and crimping in seperat stations.

I am in a position that affords me the opprotunity to shoot more and to be honest I don't feel like pulling the handle three times for every one round of ammo, this is the reason for the change to a progressive press. I just don't want to start all over on my equiptment.

Thanks for letting me vent, if you will

AR15-SBR

1. Size/deprime, prime

2. Powder charge

3. Seat the bullet

4. Crimp

Is how they are intended to be used. If you want to seat and crimp on 3, go for it, you don't have to have a die in #4. If you leave 3 empty and seat and crimp in 4 you will have to operate the machine, insert cases and feed bullets all with your right hand and do nothing with your left...

Back in the good old days

1) Resize

2) Prime (Priming Arm on Press) (No Hand Priming Tool)

3) Bell Case for Pistol (Lyman M Die) for lead bullets (Swaged Lead or Hard Cast)

4) Powder

5) Seat & Crimp (Poor results for swaged bullets)

If you had a RCBS or Lyman turret press that held 6-7 dies that you turned by hand (YOU HAD A SUPER LOADER)

The next big thing was combining Belling & Powder and two separate dies for seat and crimp (Better results for swaged lead)

Cnote...seat and crimp in seperate stations...but why. I don't want to come off as a jerk, so please hear me out. I have been shooting and reloading for over 30 years and during that time my RCBS Rockchucker and RCBS dies have made MANY thousands of accurate pistol rounds. This is why I ask about seating and crimping in seperat stations.

I am in a position that affords me the opprotunity to shoot more and to be honest I don't feel like pulling the handle three times for every one round of ammo, this is the reason for the change to a progressive press. I just don't want to start all over on my equiptment.

Thanks for letting me vent, if you will

AR15-SBR

well, I have some good news for you.

with a progressive, you will pull the handle once for each completed round.

you will have an extra pull for nothing when you start and one more for when you are ending.

with pistols most do separate seat and crimp.

you can use the extra station for a powder check.

miranda

I guess I will leave #4 open.

I thought someone here might be able to inlighten me as to why you should seat and crimp in seperate stations....

Again I am not trying to come across as a Dic#, I just don't buy into the "because THEY designed it that way" line. If there is a practicaland measureable accuracy benefit, that someone can explaine to me, than I am open to trying it...if not then the 4th station is useless.

FYI, Tomorrow I am going to pick up a used 550b, that appears to be a good deal, so you don't have to "sell" me on the system. The quality of Dillons Progressive press is what sold me.

Again I am just trying to understand the advantage/benefits of seperating the two stations.

Thanks for the help

AR15-SBR

The main reason to seat and crimp separately is its easier to setup/adjust. With the combined die if you change crimp that also changes oal.

It's not a massive deal. Many people do use a combined seat/crimp die.

On a progressive the extra die makes no extra work as a single pull of the handle completes all actions.

It also allows for the option of using something like the fcd which apart from applying a taper crimp also has a sizing ring go over the completed round to ensure no defects/bulges anywhere.

Another reason to seat/crimp in separate stations would be if you're loading lead, plated or coated bullets. In the final fraction of an inch on the stroke, the crimp process will shave some off the bullet as it's being seated, especially on "roll-crimped" ammo. Seating by itself and applying the crimp later prevents this from happening, as the bullet is as far into the case as it is going before the crimp even begins to be done. This can happen with jacketed as well, but not as much........usually.

Alan~^~

If it were me (and I wanted to keep the seat/crimp die) I would see if I could make a bullet feeder work. My guess (having no experience with the 550) is that the biggest challenge is finding a way to load brass with your left hand. If you can do that, something like the RCBS bullet feeder die would let you keep your right hand on the lever, and flip the shell plate and load brass with your left hand. There are threads online about running a bullet feeder die on the 550, but I would see what the guys here do first.

If it were me (and I wanted to keep the seat/crimp die) I would see if I could make a bullet feeder work. My guess (having no experience with the 550) is that the biggest challenge is finding a way to load brass with your left hand. If you can do that, something like the RCBS bullet feeder die would let you keep your right hand on the lever, and flip the shell plate and load brass with your left hand. There are threads online about running a bullet feeder die on the 550, but I would see what the guys here do first.

That would be a neat trick as brass goes in on the right side

Well, you could leave the hole empty and stare at it contemplating the meaning of life....... or do what I did when I ditched the powder check on my 650 and put one of inline fabs lights into the hole so it shines right down the case after the powder drop. :cheers:

i have a fcd in station 4 but it does nothing because my lee seating die removed the bell. I have the seating die backed all the way out to keep from crimping but it still removes the bell and leave the diameter at .376 which works just fine, so no crimp required. I guess I leave a fcd in station for as a just in case although I set it so that with the ram all the way up it touches the bullet then I back it of a quarter turn.

Well, I went ahead and bought it. I got it used whith a BUNCH of extras. Came with 45ACP and 40S&W Dillon dies....I don't even have a 40, but he through in sooooo many components for the 40 I am thinking about going out and buying one. :surprise:

SO for now at least I won't have to look at the empty hole. :devil:

Guys, Thanks for the info.

AR15-SBR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bullet feeder!!!!

I'm thinking about upgrading to a 650 for the extra hole for the bullet feeder. I already have a case feeder but the bullet feeder and auto indexing would be real nice!

Edited by DS26

Well, I went ahead and bought it. I got it used whith a BUNCH of extras. Came with 45ACP and 40S&W Dillon dies....I don't even have a 40, but he through in sooooo many components for the 40 I am thinking about going out and buying one. :surprise:

SO for now at least I won't have to look at the empty hole. :devil:

Guys, Thanks for the info.

AR15-SBR

I will swap you a set of 7.62 dies for the 40 S&W dies.

Dillon 550's are only 4 holers. With a 3 die set, and powder drop thru bell station, there will be no extra hole. The reason for separate seat and crimp is to have more precise control over the OAL independent of the crimp (bell removal) die. And on a progressive it doesn't matter how many holes are in the tool head, it will throw a round every time you pull the handle.

$_1.JPG

image37216.jpg