Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What SP primers will a 15lb mainspring fire?

earplug

9MM minor power factor.

Have always used Federal primers with good results. Since i'm cheap and there is a lot of experience here. What other primers can I expect reliable ignition from?

STI 9MM Trojan with factory TI hammer strut if it matters.

From my experience, this is how they rate from softest to hardest:

Federal

Magtech

Winchester

Remington

CCI

I've never used Wolf or Tula, but I believe they're on the harder side. If incorrigible has good ignition with Remington, I would just steer clear of CCI.

I have used:

CCI

Federal

S&B

Tula

Winchester

All with a 15lb spring. Had a few issues with S&B but pretty sure they were all due to a bent firing pin. Put a new firing pin in a few months back and 4-5k with no issues.

Basically, you really shouldn't have a peoblem

Hello: Buy a 17lb ISMI mainspring since it will only raise up your trigger pull a couple of ounces. You could also add a Dawson extended firing pin and lighter firing pin spring. That combo will light off small rifle primers even Remington benchrest ones. Thanks, Eric

I haven't had any problems with CCI and a 13# spring in my Tanfo. I've heard the Winchesters are worse so I've never tried them. I use Fed for my match ammo and you have to load your stuff right for any of them to work 100% when you go to light springs like that.

Hello: Buy a 17lb ISMI mainspring since it will only raise up your trigger pull a couple of ounces. You could also add a Dawson extended firing pin and lighter firing pin spring. That combo will light off small rifle primers even Remington benchrest ones. Thanks, Eric

Good advice.

The only time I ran into problems with light primer hits was when I tried a 9mm Ti firing pin with an extra heavy firing pin spring and light main springs. When I changed back to an SS firing pin, the problem disappeared. Even so, I now run 17 and 18 lb springs in all my 1911s, just to be sure.

I have used 15lb main springs and they had no trouble with CCI, Remington and Magtech primers. However, switching between 15, 16 & 17lb main springs in my pistols made no discernible difference in trigger pull so I just stuck with 17lb main springs to ensure no light primer strikes.

Use a 17 pound ISMI here with an extended firing pin and never an issue. Having felt what STI claims is a 15 pound spring and an ISMI 17pound I would say the STI spring is not 15 pounds. The 17 pound has set off everything and no real difference in pull weight

Hello: Changing from a 15lb to a 17lb only changes the trigger pull about 3ozs at the most. The 17lb will set all primers that I have tried. I should have added that is with a EGW hammer and not a super light or heavy hammer. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

I haven't had any problems with CCI and a 13# spring in my Tanfo. I've heard the Winchesters are worse so I've never tried them. I use Fed for my match ammo and you have to load your stuff right for any of them to work 100% when you go to light springs like that.

You can't really compare spring weights in tanfoglio's to 1911s. My tanfoglio sets of small rifle primers with a 13 too but it's a totally different gun. I'm far from a 1911 expert but a 17lb spring seemed the safe ground to me. But it seems plenty of others are having success with 15s.