Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Practice picked up brass

usa259

So after doing my first ever Dot Torture Drill and a bunch of other drills I was picking up my brass and any other left behind. Attached is what I found after tumbling and sorting... How does this happen at a range?

post-58796-0-55885400-1446669156_thumb.j

Wow!! That seems like a lot ... but ... last year a friend showed up at the range with a new XDM ... and a bunch of his "new" loads for the gun.

First shot fired just fine but then the gun would not quite go into battery ... encouraging the slide (to move forward) didn't accomplish anything ... it seemed locked ... I got a good hold of it and pulled back firmly and the case came out "without" a bullet in it.

The bullet had gotten bit by the rifling in the barrel and it pulled right out of the case (of course ... my friends reloading prowess may have also extended to the firmness of the crimp on that batch).

Anyhow ... over the course of trying to shoot about 50 of these the gun pulled the bullets out of about 10 of them. The balance went back home to be seated deeper.

I would say you found our brass except his was a 9mm and we picked them all up. :closedeyes:

Never fire loaded rounds from someone else unless you know all the specs. It's very dangerous. You may find some loads where the guy was loading too hot for your gun. There's got to be some reason the loaded rounds were left on the ground. Didn't work in his gun so chances are they won't work in yours either.

Unless you just need the brass and are going to pull each round. That's a lot of work compared to just buying more brasss.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...