Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who uses SV, PT, and CK steel grips for 2011? Please provide feedback.

1911A12011

Wondering which steel grip should I get for my next 2011 build?

We currently have three popular steel grips in the market today (i.e. SV Infinity (SV), Phoenix Trinity (PT) and CK Arms (CK)). Please help me decide and provide some feedback?

I handled the aggressive SV and PT grips last month from the 2015 Nationals sponsored shooters. Unfortunately, I was not able to try and shoot it so I can't really tell the difference. One thing I noticed was that the PT was almost the same feel with STI Polymer Grip in terms of circumference. Now, with the new introduction of CK steel grip at a very reasonable price, I can't decide which one to get for my next build. I have some pictures of the three main grip players taken from social media for comparison purposes. The pictures would show that the CK's grip surface pattern is noticeably different from the two others (i.e. micro pockets).

Please provide constructive feedback.

As always, thanks for your help!

post-61780-0-08579600-1446654548_thumb.j

post-61780-0-10943200-1446654556_thumb.j

post-61780-0-82863200-1446654562_thumb.j

I just picked up the ck arms steel grip. If you are using a ck frame it should be drop in. With an sti frame they have said it may need some minor fitting to make it work but they will be making an sti specific grip in the near future.

I am happy with the grip. For the money it comes with everything you need. It fits nicely in the hand reduced slightly from the size of the sti polymer grip. The texture allows you to get a good grip without being overly aggressive. I am happy with mine but would like to try an infinity grip in the future to see how that feels.

Hey that gun looks familiar ;)

I'm actually running the Aluminum CKA grip. I really like the texture, it's aggressive when holding it but feels great when shooting. The overall size seems smaller than a factory STI grip, but probably similar to a contoured one.

Running the CK steel grip on a 6 inch Limited since it is my first and currently only metal grip all I can compare it to is shooting a few rounds of a PT aggressive grip. The CK fits my hand better and has just the right amount of aggressiveness that varies in different locations for a firm grip but not a cheese grater.

CK grip texture is perfect. Some who get PT rough texture end up knocking some of the edges down. CK are also sized slightly smaller than standard polymer grips.

I'm sure all are good products but they are distinctly different in many ways. You should try as many as possible. One things for sure they add a lot of weight so make sure that works for you

I have PT stainless smooth grips on all of my 2011's. I prefer the smooth grip surface because I can add grip tape where I want it for more friction traction. I have handled and shot the "Textured" and "Aggressive Textured" versions. The "Textured" version is fine but I still felt that normal grip tape produced more friction than the machined pocket texturing. The "Aggressive Textured" grip is way to aggressive for me. I can't even grip the gun with my normal firm grip pressure without it actually hurting. I am sure it would produce more friction type of traction on your hands than grip tape, but if you can't grip the gun hard because it hurts, then it defeats the purpose.

One advantage to the PT grips is that you don't need to use proprietary Magwells, Main Spring Housings, or Mag Releases. Standard STI components work with the PT grips. The SVI and CK grips use proprietary parts which does limit your options.

As others have already said, test drive the different grips to see which one fits your hands the best and go from there. Just keep in mind that certain grips have a smaller aftermarket or optional hardware choices to fine tune it as you see fit.

I do!!! I love them. Especially the SV signature grip. The ergonomics are awesome. If you can afford it....do it. Not sure what SV's lead time is but it's worth the wait. Try speedshooters intl too. Sometimes they have them in stock

I am obviously a little biased but....

SV comes in 4 different sizes (compact not really used for competition), 4 different textures, 3 different trigger guards with 2 different profiles, mag release on either side of the grip and in grip logo options.

The small (1.25" width) is a little smaller than the old polymer grip and is for folks with small hands.

The Signature grip is also 1.25" in width with improved ergonomics for a higher grip on the gun.

The large (1.30" width) is essentially the same size as the old polymer grip.

If you like options, no questions which one to pick.

Lee

Team Infinity shooter/webmaster/GB Quoter/Ammo Loader/whatever'er :-)

Which one would you recommend for the 1.25", the SV small or signature grip? I'm already used to the STI stippled small grips of Cameron's and LimCat (both with textured silicon carbide). I'm hoping I can get the same grip feel and angle so that the only difference is added weight. Thanks!

I'm actually running the Aluminum CKA grip. I really like the texture, it's aggressive when holding it but feels great when shooting. The overall size seems smaller than a factory STI grip, but probably similar to a contoured one.

I did not even noticed that's aluminum. Are just shooting minor? Why did you not get the heavy steel?

I did not even noticed that's aluminum. Are just shooting minor? Why did you not get the heavy steel?

They look exactly the same as the steel ones so it's impossible to tell. It's mostly a minor gun yes, built for IDPA. Which is also why I went aluminum instead of steel. If I had Bobby build a Limited gun, it would be a 5.5" butler cut, full length rail, with lightening cuts, fluted barrel and steel grips.

How big your hands are should determine what grip will work best for you.

I would say small to medium size hand, however, I wanted a grip that is close to a stippled small STI grip (like Cameron's and Limcat grips) with high blended beavertail for a high grip. So which one should I order the SV small or SV signiture grip? Sir Lneel mentioned they are both the same 1.250 but which one is the closer grip fill?

I am obviously a little biased but....

SV comes in 4 different sizes (compact not really used for competition), 4 different textures, 3 different trigger guards with 2 different profiles, mag release on either side of the grip and in grip logo options.

The small (1.25" width) is a little smaller than the old polymer grip and is for folks with small hands.

The Signature grip is also 1.25" in width with improved ergonomics for a higher grip on the gun.

The large (1.30" width) is essentially the same size as the old polymer grip.

If you like options, no questions which one to pick.

Lee

Team Infinity shooter/webmaster/GB Quoter/Ammo Loader/whatever'er :-)

Wondering if you tried any stippled small STI grip of Cameron's and LimCat? Which of the SV 1.250" is closer to STI's stippled grip, is it the Small or the Signature?