Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone fired 9mm Major with no comp?

Foxbat

I have used the standard 38 Super ammo in non-compensated gun, plus plenty of .357Sig, but has anyone fired a 9 Major that way?

Curious about the impressions. Is there even a gun capable of that? Would a Glock 31 with a 9mm conversion barrel be able to do it safely?

Edited by Foxbat

You can do it safely as the comp had no impact on the safety as the chamber is the same regardless of what's at the end of the barrel. Why would you want to shoot it in a non comp gun? There is no benefit as you can't make major with anything other than an open gun so no capacity benefit over a 40 in limited while still making major. It's also a handful without the comp

A guy I was shooting with accidentally ran some of his 9major Ammo through his Dan Wesson single stack gun at a match a couple of weekends ago, was a whole lot louder but didn't look like it was a monster as far as recoil was concerned. Probably wouldn't want to do that too many times, I'm sure it's a little harder on the gun but I would think the over gassing of an open gun would mean that a lot of the extra powder is getting burned outside of the barrel or just at the end of the barrel, might not effect the gun too much.

I had a cracked comp fly off during a stage and I finished without it, the recoil was a little nasty, but it didn't hurt anything.

The gun was a small frame Tanfoglio with a compact slide and a 4" barrel, the load was 7.3gr WAC under a 124gr.

The comp dissipates some energy before the slide unlocks, so without a comp I would expect accelerated wear on the barrel lugs, maybe a cracked slide. Although if a gun can handle 357SIG it should handle 9 Major all the same.

I was just thinking about this question the other day too. I use a STI grandmaster shooing 9mm major rounds, and I'm thinking about getting another 2011 9mm limited set-up for 3-gun. I don't have a backup open gun, but could I shoot my 9mm major rounds in a 9mm limited set-up? It wouldn't have a comp, so probably throw a stiffer spring in it and hope for the best :)

I was just thinking about this question the other day too. I use a STI grandmaster shooing 9mm major rounds, and I'm thinking about getting another 2011 9mm limited set-up for 3-gun. I don't have a backup open gun, but could I shoot my 9mm major rounds in a 9mm limited set-up? It wouldn't have a comp, so probably throw a stiffer spring in it and hope for the best :)

You would probably score better shooting 9 minor with your 3 gun loads than doing that.

Agree with post above; just because you can doesn't mean that you should. You could rest easier knowing that you arent going to hurt your 3-gun pistol in the event of an ammo mix-up, but running the major ammo would not be beneficial in 3-gun matches.

I've seen that vid but I do have a little doubt that the factory wwb sig 125gn ammo goes 1800fps. I'd say either chrono was malfunctioning, light condition affected, or they were shooting very close to the chrono (Angus does mention that possibility in the comments). From the limited amount I've seen 1300+, maybe 1400 is more normal for that factory ammo. Still makes major at 1400. :) it is very similar to the kind of bullet weight and velocity found in 9mm open guns.

I have 100-gr frangible 357-Sig that makes 1485-fps out of a 5" barrel 1911. I haven't shot the 125-gr ball or hp thru chrono, but they are pretty hot, just by feel. I would be skeptical of 1800-fps out of a pistol barrel, but a 357-Sig AR could likely get those numbers.

A normal .40 magazine would work fine. And no capacity advantage.

I can only load 40 to 1.160 before they don't fit in my ts mag. So I highly doubt a 357 will fit

Vixty where are you getting all this info?

1.160 is plenty long for .357 sig.

A normal .40 magazine would work fine. And no capacity advantage.

I can only load 40 to 1.160 before they don't fit in my ts mag. So I highly doubt a 357 will fit

We're talking 357 SIG, not 357 Magnum. They are two completely different cartridges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_SIG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_Magnum