Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stinky coated bullets...

Rockets

Do you shoot indoors?

Titegroup might make it a bit worse, but overall coated bullets just smell like burning plastic (imagine that!). I rarely see anyone else griping about it, so I assume most on here probably shoot outdoors. 95% of my shooting is indoors. Or maybe I'm just overly sensitive to it.

Some are definitely worse than others. I found Ibejiheads to be the least offensive. They also produced some of the best ES/SD chrono numbers in my testing.

I think I'm just going to stick with plated. The plated bullets from Rocky Mountain Reloading are just as accurate for my kind of shooting (rarely more than 15 yards).

As far as leading, I didn't see any of that. You might be shaving coating. Pull a few bullets and see what they look like.

Edited by rev1911

TG is great with coated bullets but it is hot. That said, it's all I use with coated bullets--I don't mind it running hot. I get absolutely no leading and I can put up with a slightly odd smell. I use TG with coated lead in 9mm minor, 9mm major, and .40 major.

Some of the hi-tek coated lead bullets can have a little bit of a burned wire smell to them but it shouldnt be overwhelming. Be careful not to damage the coating when loading, either by overcrimping or by seating the bullet slightly sideways, that will cause one to stink in a hurry. Hot burning powders like titegroup cant melt the coating so any leading is happening a different way, most likely shaving the coating during loading.

I think I'm just going to stick with plated. The plated bullets from Rocky Mountain Reloading are just as accurate for my kind of shooting (rarely more than 15 yards).

As far as leading, I didn't see any of that. You might be shaving coating. Pull a few bullets and see what they look like.

I pulled a few and they look great. No Shaving. :goof: I

without ruffling any feathers...which vendor do you guys use most ? I won't mention the vendor I used but their cast boolits are first class...

Edited by Rockets

I use TG and WSF with coated bullets and I get that smell every now and then. As posted earlier...I think it's how the coating is cured vs. the coating in general.... Since I get it with a hot and slow powder sometimes. It doesn't bother me at all really and usually it's other people that mention it.

I generally use ACME, Bayou, and SNS Casting projectiles with HI-TEK coatings.

They work great. I also coat/bake my own with HI-TEK MATERIALS FROM Bayou..

I think newer companies entering the coated projectile market, due to

BACKLOGS OF ORDERS or LACK OF A HANDLE ON THEIR PROCESS,

produced some UNDER BAKED projectiles and hence the SMELL PRODUCED.

Blue Bullets uses a different process and so do the MORE TRADITIONAL Powder

Coatings some people are using such as the HARBOR FREIGHT Powders and a

Shake n' Bake process.

The coated projectiles are rapidly replacing the older waxy type lubed bullets,

because they WORK, are are less messy on your hands and equipment..

I haven't noticed any offensive odor and I shoot indoors mostly.

Right now I'm shooting Blue Bullets with VV n320, but have used TG with Bayou and Blue Bullets with no adverse smell.

Maybe I've shot coated so long that I don't notice.

I did make the change to coated from straight lead, so anything would have been better.

• 2 weeks later...

TG is great with coated bullets but it is hot. That said, it's all I use with coated bullets--I don't mind it running hot. I get absolutely no leading and I can put up with a slightly odd smell. I use TG with coated lead in 9mm minor, 9mm major, and .40 major.

What is your 9maj load with titegroup?