Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CGW 11.5lb hammer spring + CCI primers in SP-01

LeviSS

Does anyone use this combination?

It's a SP-01 Tactical.

I got my stuff from CGW yesterday and got it installed - ext firing pin & spring, reduced plunger spring, 13lb mainspring, and 11.5lb mainspring.

I read the paper and it said that the least reliable primer with the 11.5lb mainspring was CCI. I have only CCI primers and have several, so I'd like to use them at least for now.

I really like the DA with the 11.5lb mainspring though.

I know I can just try and see, but thought I might save some time by asking.

Has anyone had luck with CCI small pistol primers and 11.5 mainspring?

Edited by LeviSS

Polishing all the internals really helps with ignition.

Yeah, I didn't polish anything yet. I went to Walmart today and all they had was 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper. I wanted to start light with like 1500 grit. Is 2000 too fine? I'd rather polish on the light side rather than go too far.

I'm guessing the main areas to polish that help with ignition would be the firing pin and the fp channel?

My pre b with my polish job runs 100% with 11.5 spring and cci primers. My Automatic Accuracy build has one light strike per 100-150~ with the same spring, so I run it with the 13# spring as set up by Mink. It's kind of surprising as the trigger pull is very similar in feeli and weight between the two.

Edited by tha1000

I have a 650 and I smash the cci primers pretty hard so my 8 lb spring will set off 199 out of 200 but while I was playing around with it I came across 20k federal primers so hopefully ill never have to mess with CCI anymore.

My pre b with my polish job runs 100% with 11.5 spring and cci primers. My Automatic Accuracy build has one light strike per 100-150~ with the same spring, so I run it with the 13# spring as set up by Mink. It's kind of surprising as the trigger pull is very similar in feeli and weight between the two.

This is because of the sear work he does. Break.

I have used both a cut down 13# czc spring and a 11.5# cgw spring and had reliable ignition of cci primers. I also load on a 1050 so every primer gets seated as deep as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man, I remember I put the 11# in with the ultra lite kit, and had 1/10 light strike. lol

Just put the 13# in and never looked back. Although, I've since polished the entire trigger system and put a comp hammer in...

This is all with Perfecta... lol.

Does anyone use this combination?

It's a SP-01 Tactical.

I got my stuff from CGW yesterday and got it installed - ext firing pin & spring, reduced plunger spring, 13lb mainspring, and 11.5lb mainspring.

I read the paper and it said that the least reliable primer with the 11.5lb mainspring was CCI. I have only CCI primers and have several, so I'd like to use them at least for now.

I really like the DA with the 11.5lb mainspring though.

I know I can just try and see, but thought I might save some time by asking.

Has anyone had luck with CCI small pistol primers and 11.5 mainspring?

Until recently I shot around 6-7k CCI primers with this setup without any issues. Due to a bulk buy I'm now on WIN