Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Offhand Rifle shooting

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read one think where it talked about coming up from the bottom of the target and breaking the shot as your sights get on the target? Is that the same to this approach method?

Yes, where you come from is up to you. I find that for me about 7 o'clock is what "naturally" occurs.

I read one think where it talked about coming up from the bottom of the target and breaking the shot as your sights get on the target? Is that the same to this approach method?

Yes, where you come from is up to you. I find that for me about 7 o'clock is what "naturally" occurs.
Would the method be the same for trying to clear a plate rack at distance? Why do 3 gunners take a forward facing stance rather than a typical bullseye type stance when shooting the rifle?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Would the method be the same for trying to clear a plate rack at distance? Why do 3 gunners take a forward facing stance rather than a typical bullseye type stance when shooting the rifle?

My guess is that the targets are not in one spot, as it is in Highpower. Natural Point of Aim kind of goes out the window when the targets are spread out.

I read one thing where it talked about coming up from the bottom of the target and breaking the shot as your sights get on the target? Is that the same to this approach method?

I definitely have this habit. And I don't like it, I think it slows me down, especially on steel challenge type courses. I think it comes from my years shooting competitive skeet and trap. I often wish I could just transition straight onto the target instead of under and then raise to it.

I read one thing where it talked about coming up from the bottom of the target and breaking the shot as your sights get on the target? Is that the same to this approach method?

I definitely have this habit. And I don't like it, I think it slows me down, especially on steel challenge type courses. I think it comes from my years shooting competitive skeet and trap. I often wish I could just transition straight onto the target instead of under and then raise to it.

Is it more effective for long distance than trying to hold on the target?

No one can truly hold on the target. You only manage a wobble. The smaller the wobble when the shot breaks the better the result.

During the offhand phase of a High Power match (Slow fire 10 shots in 10 minutes standing at 200 yards)

you have lots of time to break the best shots. Shooting within your hold (wobble) works... unless it is very windy

and your "hold" goes out the window. In that instance driving the gun up-and-into the break point will earn you points.

In the action shooting sports we needs hits quickly. So we don't use the High Power offhand rifle stance. We can't just hold and shoot within

our wobble. We "take" shots when the sights are where the need to be. Getting them there quickly is where approach shooting works.

It is a technique that requires vision patience and trigger timing.

I've had moderate success with a lousy diet and very little exercise.

The extra weight makes for a more steady shooting platform, not to mention all that extra belt space for mags.

This has been my strategy as well. I find my love handles work very well to brace against using the higher power position shooting off hand.

There's a point where you go from transitioning directly to the target to this technique, if shooting 10" plates at 50 yards for instance, I would transition directly to the targets because that's not really a hard target to shoot. I use the "approach" method on targets that are difficult enough that you sort of have to stand still and start thinking about precision shooting instead. Like Kelley said, You can't hold still on a target, but you can control your approach to a certain degree, which is better than trying to hold still on a target and wobbling without control.

I obviously need more practice with the rifle I came in 4th overall but the 3 guys ahead of me cleared the plate rack. Out of 28 shooters on saturday 4 cleared the course before the 100 second par time. The course was 8 close range falling steel with shotgun, 8 steel silhouettes with pistol at about 30-40 yards, then 2 steel silhouette at 100-125 yards and a plate rack at around 130 yards "offhand rifle". I left 3 plates standing at 100 seconds. My sights were all over the place. In the 70 or so seconds I had I got the silhouettes without any issues on the first shot but ended up throwing about 30 rounds at the plate rack. I tried a forward facing and bullseye type stance. The bullseye type stance did not help at all. I attempted the bottom up approach method but I couldnt slow my sights down enough to be effective. This was at 4x power. I am 33 and in good shape but I have not been practicing my rifle, just shooting monthly matches.

I obviously need more practice with the rifle I came in 4th overall but the 3 guys ahead of me cleared the plate rack. Out of 28 shooters on saturday 4 cleared the course before the 100 second par time. The course was 8 close range falling steel with shotgun, 8 steel silhouettes with pistol at about 30-40 yards, then 2 steel silhouette at 100-125 yards and a plate rack at around 130 yards "offhand rifle". I left 3 plates standing at 100 seconds. My sights were all over the place. In the 70 or so seconds I had I got the silhouettes without any issues on the first shot but ended up throwing about 30 rounds at the plate rack. I tried a forward facing and bullseye type stance. The bullseye type stance did not help at all. I attempted the bottom up approach method but I couldnt slow my sights down enough to be effective. This was at 4x power. I am 33 and in good shape but I have not been practicing my rifle, just shooting monthly matches.

As you surmise...MORE practice is in order. Off hand is not mastered in a couple of practice sessions.

As you surmise...MORE practice is in order. Off hand is not mastered in a couple of practice sessions.

So from what you are saying I take it that reading this thread multiple times with an adult beverage in my hand will also not actually improve my offhand skills??? Dang it all!! :roflol::roflol: Seriously though, thanks again for sharing techniques that we might never stumble across. I could be pouring rounds into dirt trying to stop the wobble. Practice, even lots of it doesn't make perfect, perfect practice does.

I'm working on this skill too and find the air rifle really handy for practice.

Can't say I've found a definite preference for technique, especially if following a plan cost me other opportunities, but keeping it simple and coming up from below looks good to me

• 3 weeks later...

learn how your sights move while holding offhand. usually in a figure 8 pattern. dont try to force the sight on target (muscle the weapon) or you will tire yourself out. Instead learn your patter and start your squez as the sights are heading towards the target and the shot will break while on target

• 4 months later...