Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use Froglube?

lrdchaos

I ran it for a while I found it to be to thick for me it almost felt like it slowed my slide down and seemed like it attracted ever peice of dirt and dust the gun cam in contract with ... In my experience I wasn't impressed

I ran it for a while I found it to be to thick for me it almost felt like it slowed my slide down and seemed like it attracted ever peice of dirt and dust the gun cam in contract with ... In my experience I wasn't impressed

Same here. I actually had issues with the pistol not cycling. Went back to FP-10 and haven't had a problem since. There's better lubes out there in my opinion.

Quickly gets tacky (which not only makes your gun feel gross, it attracts dirt), gels up bad if you put more than a very thin coat on, doesn't play well with most slide greases (if you're the sort that likes to combo-lube), doesn't seem to hold up under perspiration at all. Smells great though!

But if you're one of the unlucky few who are allergic to petroleum products, it's one of your only decent choices. Most of the synthetics use some sort of petro-based product as either a carrier, pour point additive, migration agent, etc. FrogLube is advertised as being free of petrochemicals.

Fireclean... you mean Crisco?

Fireclean's patent application as well as independent spectrographic testing both show that it's vegetable oil. And only vegetable oils, no other additives.

While plant oils do work as a decent lubricant and have a high flash point, they break down pretty quickly when exposed to oxygen and ultraviolet light.

Cleaner? Maybe, but not a terribly good one. Lubricant? Yes, but there's better things for sure. Preservative? Nope, only short term protection.

Quickly gets tacky (which not only makes your gun feel gross, it attracts dirt), gels up bad if you put more than a very thin coat on, doesn't play well with most slide greases (if you're the sort that likes to combo-lube), doesn't seem to hold up under perspiration at all. Smells great though!

But if you're one of the unlucky few who are allergic to petroleum products, it's one of your only decent choices. Most of the synthetics use some sort of petro-based product as either a carrier, pour point additive, migration agent, etc. FrogLube is advertised as being free of petrochemicals.

I am getting the tacky/sluggishness on my pistols and Benelli shotgun with Froglube. no problem on rifles. however, I am very sensitive to at least some petrochemicals (such as hoppes #9 and Kroil). What are the other non-petrol choices?

SMSI, have you tried Lucas Extreme Duty? It has a lower VOC than most lubes and I can hardly even smell it, but the odor it does have is pleasant. Their normal gun oil has no odor at all.

Fireclean's patent application as well as independent spectrographic testing both show that it's vegetable oil. And only vegetable oils, no other additives.

While plant oils do work as a decent lubricant and have a high flash point, they break down pretty quickly when exposed to oxygen and ultraviolet light.

Cleaner? Maybe, but not a terribly good one. Lubricant? Yes, but there's better things for sure. Preservative? Nope, only short term protection.

No way, in my last home defence class I attended we took slow motion video of the instructor shooting his gun with 3 different products only fire clean got super smokey it was incredible then after the fire clean his gun was totally carbon buildup free. The other 2 were crap.

I am getting the tacky/sluggishness on my pistols and Benelli shotgun with Froglube. no problem on rifles. however, I am very sensitive to at least some petrochemicals (such as hoppes #9 and Kroil). What are the other non-petrol choices?

Other options include:

TAI Lubricants - NyOil. You can find it in auto parts stores. https://www.lubekits.com/?load=nyoil

Lubriplate - FMO-AW (specifically the 350-AW weight). This is a food service equipment lube, possibly the best non-petro choice. Comes in gallon jugs, smaller quantities available from http://lubrikit.com

I'm pretty sure the guys from Fireclean rebutted this. We'll see if the lawsuits come but for now I'm sticking with what works. Edited by peterthefish

I'm pretty sure the guys from Fireclean rebutted this. We'll see if the lawsuits come but for now I'm sticking with what works.

Firecleans public response basically boiled down to "those guys are jerks trying to make us look bad and our stuff is awesome" but the interesting part was they never actually said that those jerks were wrong. It's pretty hard to argue with a mass spectrometer. And as far as I know there haven't been any lawsuits, those usually come pretty quickly if they're coming at all.

As to Fireclean causing more smoke to come out of a gun, I have no idea what that's supposed to be proving. I'd think it was the lube burning off faster before I'd assume it was some property causing carbon to not stick to the gun. Non-scientific tests are just that: non-scientific.

Guns get hot, I'd want a lube that leaves something behind to continue lubricating after the carrier agent burned away. Some have this, like the old military-spec Break Free and the new G96. After vegetable oil burns off all that's left behind is carbon. Carbon makes a good non-stick and anti-corrosion coating (cast iron cookware proves this) but not a terribly good lubricant.

If people are completely happy using Fireclean I'm not going to tell them to stop using it. If you're satisfied with it then by all means continue. But if someone asks for better gun snot, there are plenty. Hell, goose grease or bear fat would do the job in a pinch. Whale squalene and nasal sebum would work too. But there are superior alternatives.

I have been using Froglube and like it. I do agree is does get a little tacky/sluggish feeling if you have not cleaned gun in awhile. Personally I don't mind cleaning guns with Froglube. I hate most other lube smells and use gloves whereas with Froglube I don't wear gloves. So I generally keep them clean and works great.

SMSI, have you tried Lucas Extreme Duty? It has a lower VOC than most lubes and I can hardly even smell it, but the odor it does have is pleasant. Their normal gun oil has no odor at all.

I may try Lucas. a friend of mine is sponsered by them. however, my real problem is with the solvent cleaners, not so much the lube. Break free does not bother me much, but I cant stand Kroil or Hoppes #9 anymore. so I might stick with the Frog lube cleaners until I run out, anyway. Any comments on using a non-petrol natural cleaner with a petrol based lube?

I may try Lucas. a friend of mine is sponsered by them. however, my real problem is with the solvent cleaners, not so much the lube. Break free does not bother me much, but I cant stand Kroil or Hoppes #9 anymore. so I might stick with the Frog lube cleaners until I run out, anyway. Any comments on using a non-petrol natural cleaner with a petrol based lube?

The Lucas Bore Cleaner does not smell bad at all. More like 409 than a solvent, but works great. Have him get you a bottle to try.

A water based cleaner with a oil based lube is not a good idea. They are one or the other. Citrus cleaners are technically an oil and you might try one of those.