Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIG Legion Series

rhart123

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Realistically, I don't see any advantage with the Legion SAO over the 320 as far as the trigger is concerned. Or any other tuned striker fired trigger. I think that rule is outdated.

I thought that rule was made to keep the 1911's out of production. Any hinged trigger should be allowed IMO.

Edited by BASE772

Not even the existing versions i assume. So there is no place i can shoot my SAO then?

Nope. That's because you would win every match with the huge advantage of the Sig Legion SAO. :)

Realistically, I don't see any advantage with the Legion SAO over the 320 as far as the trigger is concerned. Or any other tuned striker fired trigger. I think that rule is outdated.

I thought that rule was made to keep the 1911's out of production. Any hinged trigger should be allowed IMO.

I have the flat apex trigger on my 320 as well, and like you said I shoot both guns equally. My 320 with the trigger is banned from production too.

Got the opportunity to put rounds through one this week and these are my observations:

-DA pull is really heavy but thankfully there should only be one at most in a stage

-SA pull is fantastic and I think the weight is fine

-reset is fantastic

-the gun tracks very well for me despite the bore axis; perhaps it is the checkering present everywhere and the frame contours as it just felt made for my hand

-distance to the trigger from the web of my hand is great whereas CZ's seem to not fit my hand as well because the trigger ends up too close to the web of my hand

-magwell needs work

-I could drop the slide from the slide stop with my strong hand thumb 1/10 times probably, perhaps this example had some issues but the slide stop was extremely stiff and only disengaged at the very end of travel but then again I am used to the classic SIG slide stop and the difference in profile might be deceiving me. Either way it was really difficult for me to use the slide stop though hopefully it would improve with use. What is worse though is that I was still able to cause the slide to not lock back if I put my thumb in the wrong position, but ironically this happened 1/10 times as well.

-the mag button was a good diameter but it was not long enough for me to use without adjusting/loosening my strong hand's grip; I think I would either get an extended mag release or try and relieve some of the G10 grip area near the button but I'm not really sure how much room there is to work with

-I hated the sights as much as I expected I would before shooting it- the actual front dot and rear dots are great but the sight dimensions are way off from what I would want them to be; front is too wide and too low while the rear is too low, too narrow in the notch, and not wide enough which may partly be due to the rounded ears that I do not like

If I got one I would change the sights, use a slightly lighter recoil spring (at least for matches), and a lighter mainspring (again, at least for matches)

I do want one but the price is a little high and new sights would just add to that. On top of that the finish looked screwed up on the example I used, specifically on the barrel and in the magwell.

I'm still wondering though, does anyone know if SIG is planning to release a target sight version of the Legion? And does anyone use an extended mag release for their SIG?

I have the P226 SAO and the P229. And used to have the P226 DA /SA. Love them all. Mine have all been flawless.

Shot my SAO in a USPSA match yesterday and it was great. Probably won't be my full time comp gun but it could be.

• 1 month later...

I sold a customized TacOps to purchase the P226 Legion and regretted it! The sharp texture on the lower profile controls, the sub par sights, and the disappointing trigger with a lack of improvement over my previous pistol really spoiled the experience for me.

Legion is gone, looking for another TacOps to modify.

• 2 weeks later...
On November 21, 2015 at 6:49 AM, Scrmblr said:

I shot a P226 Legion in 9mm yesterday. The trigger is the smoothest Sig trigger I've ever handled, and I've been shooting P-series Sigs for over 15-years (work and fun). The reset is short, and "feels" shorter than my SRT Sigs, but that could just be the excellent polish on the connecting surfaces. The sights are the best SIg has ever used, and that combined with the trigger gives it better than average accuracy (which was already pretty great) for the platform. The reduced slide release should be standard, or at least an option on ALL Sig pistols, I shoot gamer 1911's and Tanfos so on my work Sigs the slide never locks back.

Overall, I'd carry it any day as a service weapon, and all Sigs being used by police or military should have this trigger. NOT a game gun, but you could fake it pretty good.

Bought one myself, and I agree with your comments completely. I think it's a high quality gun, not one the past few years marketing gimmicks that risked to drag Sig's name in the mud. Hope the quality holds up to serious testing but I plan to try this gun in matches as well. The first few mags were amazingly easy smooth and accurate in standard drills.

On May 29, 2016 at 7:46 PM, TacticalReload said:

The guy said they literally milled it down equally on both sides. He was trying to get them to take it all off of the right side so it wouldn't affect how easy it was to click it on and off on the left side, but SIG told him that the only internally "approved" method was to take an equal amount off both the left and right. Apparently it's not quite as easy to deactivate now.

I had it done... it's just as easy to deactivate, but a little harder to activate.

• 5 weeks later...

If anyone has an SAO legion I'd love to hear some feedback. I had one of the initial 226 elite SAO's and was not impressed-I sold the gun. It did not have the accuracy or consistency of any of the DA/SA guns, let alone my x5 tactical. I was hoping for decent performance but was very disappointed, I'd like to hear how the legion SAO is holding up as I may have an interest in them again.

21 hours ago, Crispin1025 said:

If anyone has an SAO legion I'd love to hear some feedback. I had one of the initial 226 elite SAO's and was not impressed-I sold the gun. It did not have the accuracy or consistency of any of the DA/SA guns, let alone my x5 tactical. I was hoping for decent performance but was very disappointed, I'd like to hear how the legion SAO is holding up as I may have an interest in them again.

The Legion SAO has turned out to be my favorite handgun of all time. And I've shot a lot of pistols the last 30 years.  I grew up on and trained with a 1911 so the SAO feels right at home. 

Mine came with a 3.5-3.7lb trigger out of the box. It was great! I'm still impressed with the reset. Since I can't shoot it in Production I've shot it Limited minor and currently shooting Open minor with a MK25 RX top. I've polished up the trigger components and put a 19lb Wolff hammer spring in. It's now Perfect for a competition trigger for my taste. 

On a side note I could shoot circles around my Custom SP-01 Shadow with a stock Legion SAO. 

And one friend has already purchased a Legion SAO and another has ordered one after shooting mine. 

My two cents

On September 29, 2016 at 7:50 PM, BASE772 said:

The Legion SAO has turned out to be my favorite handgun of all time. And I've shot a lot of pistols the last 30 years.  I grew up on and trained with a 1911 so the SAO feels right at home. 

Mine came with a 3.5-3.7lb trigger out of the box. It was great! I'm still impressed with the reset. Since I can't shoot it in Production I've shot it Limited minor and currently shooting Open minor with a MK25 RX top. I've polished up the trigger components and put a 19lb Wolff hammer spring in. It's now Perfect for a competition trigger for my taste. 

On a side note I could shoot circles around my Custom SP-01 Shadow with a stock Legion SAO. 

And one friend has already purchased a Legion SAO and another has ordered one after shooting mine. 

My two cents

Thanks for the input! I may have to pick one up! I have an SPO1 as well, great guns, but my x5 tactical is more accurate. Was hoping for similar performance with the initial SAO and when that fell through I was a little disheartened, but the new Legion SAO may be the ticket!

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

Please don't take offense, but I think expecting X5-level performance from a stock 226 is asking a lot, even from a Legion.

No offense taken and I agree-that would be unfair, I worded that poorly.  What I should have stated was that my early SAO failed to perform to the level of the DA/SA elites I have or have had. I tested it against two 226 DA/SA elites, my 224, and 229 elite-it was by far the worst shooter, my 224 DAK was more accurate.

• 3 weeks later...