Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIG Legion Series

rhart123

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I handled a Legion in 229 today and I have to say that while it was a nice pistol I was not wowed by it like I thought I would be. I liked the gray finish and the sights as well as the reduced size of the decock and slide lock controls. I was not that impressed by the undercut below the trigger - I think it merely reduces the grip circumference and does not raise the hand position on the grip like I was hoping it would. The trigger did not feel much different than any other Sig to me and it may have been heavier than some. The reset was nice and short - about like my other Sigs with SRT. Anyway, I left it there even though I was ready to buy on sight. I may go back for a second look tomorrow and see if my feelings about it change...

It doesn't seem like there is much interest in the Legion series on this forum, but I will post this follow up anyway for the few who viewed it. I purchased a 229 Legion and it is really a nice pistol, I like the new finish, the slimmer G10 grips, etc. I like the reduced size decocker, but I still manage to accidentally decock it while shooting with my high grip. I am disappointed with the front sight as it is only noticeable to me under direct sunlight - that is, with the sun directly behind me and the front sight not in the shade; otherwise it is not bright at all. Sig sent me an email with a return FedEx label, but my thinking is that if the sight is defective out of the box how long will a new one last... I don't like sending my slide off for a fix and not being able to shoot it for a week or two.

I love the smooth Bruce Gray trigger that comes on these - the reset is fantastic with the adjustable overtravel. I'm undecided whether the new undercut beneath the trigger makes a difference for me - it doesn't seem to raise my grip so much as it shortens the reach. Although the pull weights are Sig standard (heavy) out of the box, I figure a lighter hammer spring will work wonders on this smooth action.

With over 600 rounds through so far there have been no malfunctions whatsoever.

The one that came thru our store had a much smoother trigger than my 226 USPSA model. The grey finish was very attractive and the slide stop looked like a good option for folks that hit the standard one with their thumb.

• 5 weeks later...

I shot a P226 Legion in 9mm yesterday. The trigger is the smoothest Sig trigger I've ever handled, and I've been shooting P-series Sigs for over 15-years (work and fun). The reset is short, and "feels" shorter than my SRT Sigs, but that could just be the excellent polish on the connecting surfaces. The sights are the best SIg has ever used, and that combined with the trigger gives it better than average accuracy (which was already pretty great) for the platform. The reduced slide release should be standard, or at least an option on ALL Sig pistols, I shoot gamer 1911's and Tanfos so on my work Sigs the slide never locks back.

Overall, I'd carry it any day as a service weapon, and all Sigs being used by police or military should have this trigger. NOT a game gun, but you could fake it pretty good.

I changed the stock hammer spring out for a Wolf 19# on the 229 Legion and the trigger lightened up a fair bit. I shot another 200 rounds through without any light strikes (Freedom Munitions reman and Blazer brass). I might try a lighter yet spring to see how light I can go without getting light strikes, but right now it is just about right for a carry gun.

• 6 months later...

Finally picked up a 229 Legion. Very nice gun! Trigger is heavy but smooth. Perfect for what it was designed for. Have 850 flawless rounds of various ammo through it including, factory target, self defence,

(Federal HST 147 grain) , and reloads.

I really like the x-ray sights. Very easy to track the front sight in the day, and they still glow on your nightstand at night.

I'm really impressed with how this gun handles recoil. Or I handle recoil with the gun, what ever. I personally think the high bore axis (at least with a 9mm) argument is baloney. In theory it makes sense but in the hand no way.

The only thing I changed was I took out the trigger over travel screw completely. Would have only helped about 1/32" and I don't want the chance of it ever moving to where the gun won't fire.

5 Stars in my book.

I forgot to mention the grips are fantastic also.

post-44117-0-68150400-1464441495_thumb.j

Edited by BASE772

I am not much of a Sig guy, but the Legions are tempting me away from my 1911s and 2011s.

The trigger, oh, the trigger. I have side by side a Legion P226 and a P226 with the FULL Grayguns treatment. The DA pull is about the same, but the SA and the reset are noticeably better than the Grayguns P226. I also have a stock P227 to remind me why I don't like stock triggers.

The sights are nice, the first non-adjustable sights that I can stand. They are regulated for a center hold, instead of my preferred six o'clock hold.

The grip ergonomics are just right for me. The undercut is just enough, the beavertail just enough. It just fits "right".

I ended up getting two Legions, one the P226 and the other the P226 SAO, both in 9mm.

I am not much of a Sig guy, but the Legions are tempting me away from my 1911s and 2011s.

The trigger, oh, the trigger. I have side by side a Legion P226 and a P226 with the FULL Grayguns treatment. The DA pull is about the same, but the SA and the reset are noticeably better than the Grayguns P226. I also have a stock P227 to remind me why I don't like stock triggers.

The sights are nice, the first non-adjustable sights that I can stand. They are regulated for a center hold, instead of my preferred six o'clock hold.

The grip ergonomics are just right for me. The undercut is just enough, the beavertail just enough. It just fits "right".

I ended up getting two Legions, one the P226 and the other the P226 SAO, both in 9mm.

That 226 SAO is very tempting. How do you like yours.

I just picked it up last week, so only have a few hundred rounds down it. I like it. The trigger is 1911-like in its crisp sense and reset. Not quite as light and fast, and with more take-up, but perhaps more suited for a stressful environment. The fit is perfect for my hands, and the sights are dead on with 147 gr. loads. I'm planning on trying it in next week's local IDPA match, in ESP, to further test it. I might see if I can run the match with this and then with my 9mm 1911, for a thorough comparison.

Edited by guns_and_labs

I picked up a P229 Legion 9mm about 8 months ago. I had some issues out of the gate with it (crooked front sight, then flaky finish) that SIG promptly took care of and compensated me for. It has since had a little over 4,000 rounds through it with zero malfunctions.

The 229 has quickly become my favorite pistol. I've traditionally been a Glock guy and still own a G19, but it just doesn't get shot much since I got the SIG. I shoot both of them about the same as far as split times and scores go, but the P229 is just such a more enjoyable "experience". I genuinely enjoy taking it out to the range. It's also cool to see other SIG shooters, because they are usually enthusiasts that enjoy talking SIGs.

My 229 is also, I think, the only pistol I've owned where I don't plan on changing a single thing. The trigger is already very good, the grip and finish are beautiful, and the sights are fast but still allow accuracy at 25 yards and out. It really doesn't get much better. The only downside I can think of from a purely utilitarian point, is that a Glock/M&P/320 will do about the same thing for half of the cost. But then they are also plastic and hideously ugly :D .

Just a heads up on IDPA: as far as I know the 226 SAO Legion will not fit in the IDPA box. It's fractionally too wide at the ambi safety.

It's been posted online by some people that they have been able to get SIG to shave down both sides of the safety to make it fit the box at no charge if they complain that the primary use was for IDPA.

Do they have a replacement safety? Or do they literally shave it?

I have the 226 SAO. I couldn't be more impressed with a gun. Just little things.. Lots of little things, everything is done right. Grips are perfect. The cut under the trigger guard.. Perfect. Trigger is amazing. I brought mine to the range with my USPSA buddies, and they were all blown away, and wanted to pick one up. You won't be disappointed, my desire to buy a 2011 now is gone.

It's been posted online by some people that they have been able to get SIG to shave down both sides of the safety to make it fit the box at no charge if they complain that the primary use was for IDPA.

The guy said they literally milled it down equally on both sides. He was trying to get them to take it all off of the right side so it wouldn't affect how easy it was to click it on and off on the left side, but SIG told him that the only internally "approved" method was to take an equal amount off both the left and right. Apparently it's not quite as easy to deactivate now.

I've been looking for a SAO for a bit now, but they seem to be fairly hard to get. If I do get a hold of one, I'll probably leave the safety as is. I'm guessing that if I did shoot it at local club IDPA matches, no one would really care even if they did notice. I don't really have the time to shoot sanctioned matches any more anyway.

The guy said they literally milled it down equally on both sides. He was trying to get them to take it all off of the right side so it wouldn't affect how easy it was to click it on and off on the left side, but SIG told him that the only internally "approved" method was to take an equal amount off both the left and right. Apparently it's not quite as easy to deactivate now.

I've been looking for a SAO for a bit now, but they seem to be fairly hard to get. If I do get a hold of one, I'll probably leave the safety as is. I'm guessing that if I did shoot it at local club IDPA matches, no one would really care even if they did notice. I don't really have the time to shoot sanctioned matches any more anyway.

I don't know. Just think of the huge advantage you'll have with that wider safety. :)

I'd like to get a SAO for playing at local Steel matches. I was faster at steel with a 320 than with a heavy CZ.

I don't know. Just think of the huge advantage you'll have with that wider safety. :)

I'd like to get a SAO for playing at local Steel matches. I was faster at steel with a 320 than with a heavy CZ.

I know... heaven forbid you have an easily functioning safety lever. I think SIG got into a bit of a bind because they pushed the SAO Legion as a great gun for IDPA.

I don't know of a local dealer that would be likely to have something like a Legion SAO in stock, and I'm not sure I would want to order one sight unseen. I love SIGs, but I've (infrequently) seen some new ones that have blems that should have been caught before leaving the factory, IMO. A long while back, I bought a NIB P229SAS that I should have examined at the gun shop before leaving... when I got it home, I noticed that it looked like someone did the melt job by rubbing the slide with a broken rock. SIG made it good by replacing the slide, but it took over 3 months to get it back and every single time I called them to check on it, I was literally on hold for nearly an hour before being able to speak with a human being. It was unbelievably frustrating. I would hope that the process would not be like that today... I think (hope) the wait times to talk to CS, at least, are shorter. Sorry for the long story... Docsabo40's post gave me flashbacks.

Lol, sorry TR I didn't mean to do that. For their part SIG treated me really well. I had the gun back in two weeks with a new frame, and 3 extra magazines for my troubles. I think it really depends on which CS person you get though, but that's been the case at every gun manufacturer that I've dealt with.

I've handled one 226 SAO and nearly bought it on the spot, but it was at Scottsdale Gun Club and they wanted about $200 over market. The trigger was the nicest SA pull I've tried short of a Nighthawk.

I checked one of the da/sa legions out this week and was very impressed. Da is pretty good although maybe a little heavy. SA is on par with the best triggers I have tried including 2011's and single action CZ's (albeit heavier). The reset is hard to describe with words, it really is that good.

My gripes are the sights. The rear notch is very narrow but otherwise I like them. Anyone know of a possible LPA rear legion model coming? They can keep the front or use a fiber optic front. A long slide model would also be nice but it honestly feels pretty balanced as is.

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

After putting 1300 rounds through my 229 Legion I decided to pick up a P226 Legion SAO. I figured as a long time 1911 shooter it might be the ticket for a double stack 9mm.

I'm not a fan boy of any gun manufacturer. I just trust a Sig over others. I shoot what I like. Mainly STI, Dan Wesson, CZ, and Sig. But I have to say this Legion 226 SAO could very well turn out to be my favorite handgun ever. And I'm talking stock, semi custom, and full custom. This stock 226 Legion SAO is awesome! Points natural, the weight is perfect (for my taste) trigger is fantastic, (breaks farther forward than the DA/SA) reset very short, thumb safety perfect tension with audible click, sights are dead on and easy to see, the Legion grip rocks, and feels like I'm shooting a .22 with with self-defence ammo.

I really look forward to putting more rounds down range.

How I wish this would be Production legal. I'll be playing with this gun instead of practicing with my normal Competiton pistols now.

Edited by BASE772