Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How accurate can a 1911 be? Or any handgun really.

sn0wflake

So I wondering how accurate can a 1911 style gun possibly be? I'm thinking when the gun is placed in a vice or ransom rest or similar. At 50m/50 yards. And for fun lets just assume the gun is shooting the bullets it likes the best and powder it likes the best and everything else it likes the best!

Also are some caliber more accurate than others or is it just BS?

What is regarded as the most accurate guns?

Which things determines the maximum attainable accuracy of a gun?

Barrel/bushing/slide fit are the most important, generally speaking. The barrel itself can either be accurate or not, but the only way to determine that is with a device to hold and fire it without being in the gun. Doug Koenig has one of those that he uses to test the barrels he uses to find the most accurate of however many he gets to try before having one fit to the gun.

As to caliber? I can't speak to that one, because it gets into experience/opinions more than anything else. Just because you find a gun that will shoot <1" on a given day from a Ransom Rest with a certain load doesn't mean it'll do it again tomorrow under different conditions....temperature, humidity, elevation, barometric pressure, etc.

Bob Munden hit an egg at 100 yards with a 1911 45acp. How much more accurate do you want it to be?

Also. Which of todays guns do YOU think is capable of accomplishing that?? Or is it an "indian, not the arrow" type of deal in your opinion?

Bob Munden hit an egg at 100 yards with a 1911 45acp. How much more accurate do you want it to be?

Also. Which of todays guns do YOU think is capable of accomplishing that?? Or is it an "indian, not the arrow" type of deal in your opinion?

Its a combination of both. You could be the greatest marksman to ever live but if you have a piece of shit, say a Hi Point, it aint happening. The reverse is also true. You could have the most accurate lock up like a bank vault pistol, but if you give it to Barney Fife, once again it aint happening.

Consider the 50 yard Bullseye tgt with its X-ring at 1.7" dia and the 10-ring at 3.4" dia. Top shooters can score in the high 90's with more than few X's shooting strong hand only. I'd say those guns have a mechinical accuracy of ~1" at 50 yards, maybe less. I the NRA record is 2680 (out of 2700, i.e. 270 shots) with 159X.

Jerry M. has hit a 18"x24" (think) steel plate at ~1000yards with a 9mm revolver using a red dot sight as I recall.

The shooter is only limited by the gun and gun can do no better than the shooter.

for ultimate accuracy you don't have to look @ the bling bling IPSC pistol builders...

bob marvel ,Joe Chambers, David Sams, KC custom, accuracy X...

for example Bob Marvel

http://bobmarvelcustomguns.com/photo-gallery/category/17-targets.html

I believe a Chambers custom wadgun (single stack) is more expensive than a SVI open blaster... a second hand Marvel (build for Joe Chambers) is offered for 6000 US dollar...

for ultimate accuracy you don't have to look @ the bling bling IPSC pistol builders...

bob marvel ,Joe Chambers, David Sams, KC custom, accuracy X...

for example Bob Marvel

http://bobmarvelcustomguns.com/photo-gallery/category/17-targets.html

I believe a Chambers custom wadgun (single stack) is more expensive than a SVI open blaster... a second hand Marvel (build for Joe Chambers) is offered for 6000 US dollar...

What about a run off the mill svi infinity, 5 inch. how do those compare?

I think Wilson sells 1911's they guarantee to shoot sub 1" groups at 25 yards with best ammo. Main thing on accuracy is quality of barrel and most important, if the barrel locks into the same place with respect to the slide on each cycle. The sights are mounted on the slide so any barrel movement with respect to the slide is a direct error in accuracy.

I have read gun tests where they shot tighter groups using a sandbag rest and shooter adjusting aim on each shot than when clamped in a ransom rest. The shooter adjusts for slight variation in slide position with respect to frame on each shot.

Edited by bountyhunter

Any handgun is only as good as its barrel and ammo.

Take the barrel out and put it in a machine rest (Several top smiths have over the years)

1-1.5" at 50 yards was doable. Funny thing was even a WW2 (1911) barrel could produce those groups, given the

right ammo.

Now with any NON fixed barrel...it is MOST important that the barrel be FIT to perfection for MAX accuracy.

AND ammo must be of excellent quality!

Back in my Navy pistol team days I built a .45 ACP 1911, and the first five rounds out of the gun shot one ragged hole at 25 yards (sandbag rest) with Rem 185 WC match ammo. That lasted about 5000 rounds before I had to adjust the barrel link pin and re-fit the "hand lapped in" barrel bushing.

They can be awesome! But, at some point the fit between the link pin, bushing and barrel/hood lugs will need attention. It won't last forever.

I've built several bullseye .45s that shot under a half inch for five shots at 25 yards in a ransom rest (using reloads w/bullseye powder and 200g LWSC). And those weren't built any different from what I normally do. I just don't go through the time a trouble to test them unless someone insists on it. Also have shot bowling pins at 100+ yards with no problem with an factory SV open gun.

Clark Custom says that almost any 1911 is inherently accurate and you just have to fit everything perfectly. Dr. nick at Mountain Competition Pistols jig test fires every barrel he buys and RTMs any he is not happy with. I don't know.

What I do know is my custom Sig 1911 will put 10 rounds into the X-ring of a 50 yard bullseye target without touching the ring itself. That load uses N310 and Nosler 185 JHP. If I go with the best cast bullets, some will touch the ring, but none will be outside of it. The custom 1911 I built myself using a Kart barrel will do better than the Sig, but I've only tested at 25 yards so far. My Hammerli target pistol will put 50 rounds of its favorite ammos (it has a couple) inside a 1/2" circle at 50 yards, edge to edge. It will put 100 rounds of assorted Aguila Match (black box), SK Standard+, CCI standard and Aguila Match (blue box) into a 1" circle at 50 yards.

And sometimes you get losers. My highly touted Colt Gold Cup National match Series 80 would not put 10 rounds inside a 2.5" circle at 25 yards if you tried all day. I was a lemon. My custom Sig P226 9mm was not a whole lot better.

BTW, bullet shape and quality make the biggest difference at 50 yards in a 1911. Just because you can shoot 1" groups at 25 does not mean they will automatically be 2" at 50. More like 3-4" with typical bullets.

All les bears will do 3" at 50 yards, or for an extra $295 you can get it with the 1.5"@50 yard guarantee. I've got a regular one and that's more than enough for me. First shot at the range with it today I hit a 2" mini popper head at15 yards free hand. Looked pretty bad ass until I got cocky and missed the next 3

My 38 Super (built by yours truly) at 50 ft. free hand. ( BTW: That's the target spots on the left. The the paper target was a warm up with the 38 and the 45.)

There is a theory that handguns have the potential to be more accurate than rifles because they don't suffer from barrel whip as much. The biggest problem with handgun accuracy lies in the short sight radius. I'm sure if you mounted a 4x scope on a good 1911 you could get some pretty tight groups at 100 yards. I shot IHMSA Silhouette with a Dan Wesson 44V10 for years and many times had to hit shootoff targets (half sized chickens at 220M ) with iron sights. That gun is more accurate than I am ANY day.

post-54825-0-61282700-1444434256_thumb.j

Edited by Dranoel

Ive been curious about this myself for a while. I have 2 factory SV's - a limited in .40 and a Singlestack in 9mm. Our club just happens to have a ransom rest setup for 1911's - later this winter, i'll probably drag it out to the 50 yard line with the singlestack and see how it does.

Ive heard that the SV is capable of 1.5in at 50 yards...... no idea what that is in meters :)

All les bears will do 3" at 50 yards, or for an extra $295 you can get it with the 1.5"@50 yard guarantee. I've got a regular one and that's more than enough for me. First shot at the range with it today I hit a 2" mini popper head at15 yards free hand. Looked pretty bad ass until I got cocky and missed the next 3

Another Les Baer fan. Prices are great too!