Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bullet coating texture

chetc

i have been using the 9mm BBI 147 bullets, since the new design is a no lube groove type, i have to load shorter, so this puts the bullet deeper in the case, so looking for some 147 coated bullets that i can load longer than them, the coated grooved design they had before were great and the finish was smooth, i tried the Bayou 147gr but was not thrilled with the orange peel finish, i am tending to stay with the 147gr fp design as the Bayou are and the BBI were.unless i missed the bullet, does anyone have a 147gr coated with a smooth finish that i dont have to load short. the BBI 147 coated grooved bullet, i was loading at 1.100, SNS looks like my option, i did try them, they were just fine, but be fore i start placing orders, checking if i might have missed some bullets that i am looking for

Chet

Edited by chetc

Chetc:

Not sure what gun your loading for, but I've loaded the SNS NLG out to 1.142" for a G17 and G34, and not having any OAL problems whatsoever....

Just checked a few Bayou 147's, bullet oal comes in ~.674". The 147 SNS NLG's are ~.660" oal.

That small a variance shouldn't be an issue with cartridge OAL.......IMO....

Wanting to try some of the ACME NLG coated in the near future as they have been highly recommended.

HTHs

The coating on the Bayou Bullets I've used has been very smooth. I haven't seen anything resembling an "orange peel" texture. I've gone through a case (3100) of the SNS Casting 147 gr coated flat point bullets. I've tried Blue Bullets, Black Bullets, Bayou Bullets, and SNS Casting. Blue Bullets had the most uneven finish, but they worked fine. I prefer the bullet profiles and Hi-Tek coating offered by Bayou and SNS. Flat point bullets work better in my bullet feeder.

I can load the SNS Casting 147 gr coated bullets to 1.135 OAL in a match barrel for my Glock 19. I can load them even longer in OEM Glock barrels, but I like to load everything to pass chamber check in my match barrel. The coating is very smooth and has more of a matte finish. I'd say the finish on Bayou bullets is just as smooth, but appears glossier.

thanks for all the suggstions, looks like the Ibejiheads 147 design is very similiar to most what i am looking for. the dia is .356 is also what i am after, the blus bullets look good too but is .355 dia, and the price is fair at $240 shipped for 3k

thanks

Chet

has anyone ever tried the Ibejiheads 9mm 100gr swc bb bullet.

chet

I have shot thousands of them through my XDM 5.25. Great little bullet, I use it as a soft shooting steel challenge load. Very accurate even at lower power factor loads.

has anyone ever tried the Ibejiheads 9mm 100gr swc bb bullet.

chet

I have shot thousands of them through my XDM 5.25. Great little bullet, I use it as a soft shooting steel challenge load. Very accurate even at lower power factor loads.

thanks Dave33,

i will try some of those also,

Chet

I have the same orange peal effect on my 160 grain Bayou Bullets that are brownish. All others from them are smooth as glass.

My latest batch of 135's are darker and smoother than ever - I've bulk ordered (I split with friends) many 10's of thousands of Bayou Bullets over time in various weights, calibers and colors and never seen an 'orange peel' effect.

I have the same orange peal effect on my 160 grain Bayou Bullets that are brownish. All others from them are smooth as glass.

My latest batch of 135's are darker and smoother than ever - I've bulk ordered (I split with friends) many 10's of thousands of Bayou Bullets over time in various weights, calibers and colors and never seen an 'orange peel' effect.

i tried a 1000 of the Bayou 147, all orange peel, not to say they did effect accuracy, but i rather a smooth finish

thanks for all the suggstions, looks like the Ibejiheads 147 design is very similiar to most what i am looking for. the dia is .356 is also what i am after, the blus bullets look good too but is .355 dia, and the price is fair at $240 shipped for 3k

thanks

Chet

The 147gr RN Blue Bullets I have actually measured .356".

• 3 months later...

I just got some Blue Bullet 147gr 38/357 for my 9mm. I think the .358 fits my revolver cylinder better and my pistol bore is .357 so I figure a .358 should work fine. But, my question is because the Blue Bullets have a rough coat and lots of chips or scratches that show some lead thru the coating. Would it be a good idea to give them a light coat of lube, like Alox? These 147gr bullets came in at about 151gr +/-1gr.

Don't lube them/shoot them as is.

I've shot all the above mentioned bullets in several calibers. Thanks God we've got so many good bullets to choose from.

I've settled on Bayou cause they've taken the best care of me time and time again

Next would be BBI then Blue Bullets

The others I've only bought a case or so from and service has been fine.

Call Bayou and talk to them about the concern you have. They've always been super responsive to me

Sure they will treat you the same

Edited by jcc7x7

The gold Bayou bullets do have a bit of a mottled appearance, but not noticeable in the blue and red bullets. I can't imagine it makes an difference whatsoever. Might just be the reflective characteristic of whatever gives the coating its color. Acme red appears very uniform. Fortunately, it's not a beauty contest; I do like a color that's easy to spot on the ground as I suspect I'm not coordinated enough to do one of those fancy "pop and catch" routines when clearing the gun.

ACME uniformity is excellent with the Hi-tek coating . Blue bullets do scuff in shipping. I have had no problem with leading with Blue, though. Shoot them. For me, I've got Bayou 124TCG for that weight, then ACME for whatever else. SNS and BBI also excellent.

Edited by IDescribe

I have had the best results with the Blue Bullets. I did try the Bayous but had issues getting them to seat right. The Blues can seem to be rough at times, but they are accurate and you get great velocity with less power then any plated or jacketed. Never have had a leading issue and have never added lube of any kind.

Best results with Blue out of what, though? In my two 9mm polygonal barrels, Blue perform well. In my two land and groove rifling barrels, they're inconsistent. I've had good performance with Acme, Bayou, and BBI in all.

Edited by IDescribe

I am using a 4.5 XDM right now for 3 gun with a Storm Lake barrel. I have also used them in a Taurus 92 clone, and a few in a Glock 35, but not enough to ascertain if they worked well or not. I have been using the XDM in 3 gun, and switch to the 147's for steel plates and the Texas/Polish plate stages for better knockdown.