Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sp-01 mags and Mec-Gar

RIPsaw475

I just picked up an an sp-01 tactical with Decocker. Looking to do a "working mans shadow" with it. Opening up a dialog with David from CGW soon,if not today.

The two 18rd CZ mags that come with the gun. Is there a comparable mag in Mec-Gar *IF I put Springer base pads on ALL of them? Or do I just need to buy all Mec-Gar to have the same length of tube and feel with the Springer pads and not use the included cz mags except for spares?

Again, "cost effective" is the theme.

Please and Thank you.

I bout the 17rd with the plus 2 base pad. They work in my SP01 shadow but do not drop free from my SP01. When you lay the mags side by side there are some differences. Try one first to make sure it will work.

If you check the SP website, he has different pads for different magazines since the tubes themselves are different lengths. This is assuming you are looking for the overall length to be Production legal and the same "feel".

FWIW, I find the Mec-Gar AFC mags to be sticky in my gun at times, particulary if I let it get dirty. No issues at all with the blued magazines, so the CZ or Mec-Gar blued mags (16 rounds) work best, for me.

The MecGar +2 are 17 round tubes. The issue is they don't have a floor plate, and the only ones I could find were the CZ ones and the SP base pads don't quite fit the same with them. I have about 12 of the 17 round MecGars with SP base pads. I do have one CZ SP01 mag with a SP base bad (the SP base pad makes them all the same OAL and feel the same). With 10 rounds in the SP01 mag they rattle, so this is for dry fire practice only now.

I mainly use the mecgar 17's, but do have a couple 16's with the rubber CZ base pads that I like as well. I only use the SP-01 mags for dry fire as I somehow have a knack for disassembling them during reloads.

I run 3 Mec-gar AFC in position 1-3, and 3 CZ's as my 4-6 and dry fire mags. Springer pads make them uniform. All drop free when clean. A stainless mag brake in the gun was a noticeable improvement.

I also have the "working man Shadow" I used to use factory 18rd mags with CZC 10% extra power springs. I would also run into the mags sticking when doing a reload. Polishing the center channel in slide were it rubs on the top of the bullet helped but would still stick if the gun was tilted or I didn't perfectly press the mag release. I now use Mecgar 16 Rd mags that I had coated with NP3, Nickle w/Teflon, with SP base plates. Getting the Mecgar 16 Rd plated with NP3 is about the same cost and in my opinion is a significantly better coating then standard nickle. The other main reason I went with the Mecgar 16 over the 17 was the SP base plate weighs 1.16oz vs 1.06oz and has a smoother profile on the back mag were the base of the mag meets the base plate. The back corner really sticks out on the 17 and even more on 18 round mags. I also like the balance on the mag better when reloading with the heavier base plate. In the end the slicker and heavier base plate causes the mags to FLY out of the gun during a reload. I have had zero mags stick with my new ultimate gamer mags :devil:

so would it be better to have all CZ magazines? There really isn't that much of a price difference. $50 for CZ 18 rnd, vs 46.50 for a mec-gar 19 rnd. From what I am reading, it seems there is some trouble with the mec-gars.

• 3 weeks later...

The 16rd mec-gars and Springer pads came in the mail yesterday. Wow, the weight of the base pad and the short tubes on the 16's make them fly out empty.

Took the two factory cz sp01 mags provided and put the +2 mec-gar extensions on if I dabble in 3gun next year. (20+1 round)

Thanks

I am moving from a Beretta to a CZ 75 SP-01 Accu shadow. On my Beretta, I have always ran with the rubber base pads. What is the advantage of the SP base pads over the rubber?

If you are interested in running the rubber basepads, the 16 round Mecgar mags from greg cote ($21) and the rubber basepads ($9), is the way to go. The rubber basepads have a good amount of weight to them and they are extremely durable. This is my favorite combo for my CZ's.