Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 failure to extract issue

vixty

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2018-03-09 at 6:01 PM, zombywoof said:

Six pages and change the freakin spring.

You would think it is an easy and obvious fix, but when you try 3 different factory springs, brand new and they all fail you start thinking of different options before using an aftermarket spring.
The spring that came with the gun worked for 1000 rounds before failing, the 3 other springs failed a lot quicker (less than 200 rounds). 

So when you run in a situation like this, why would you assume that changing a spring, when you have already changed it 3 times would fix this issue?

Nobody in this forum would point this out, it amazes me that now it sounds to obvious to some of you? Geniuses...

So yes, 6 pages that are equivalent to 3 months of testing things before finding the culprit that hopefully will help the next shooter with this issue.

Changing the spring was the last thing done before the issue was resolved. 

Not sure how anybody could know if it was the only thing that had to be done, perhaps I am just too stubborn about the value of getting a 9 mm chamber reamed on these.

Genius - tells you what and how to measure & then tells you what is different about your particular gun and why you need to make a modification. 

Not sure if the last message was directed to me or not.

The spring was replaced several times with modified xp springs (cut 1 coils as it was recommended here earlier) . They failed when cut, gun will fail to extract.

Also tried 2 brand new factory springs that also failed. These were uncut.

This is why it took so long to figure out, as it did not make sense that brand new springs from factory would fail.

As per the barrels being reamed: barrel is more reliable now, it takes any ammo length. 

Value? Some 2011 (including svi) have the barrel reamed for reliability.

my 2 cents.

Edited by Avenida

This does not need to be as complicated as it's being made out to be.  If YOUR ammo does not pass the plunk test in YOUR barrel, then YOUR barrel needs to be reamed or you need to shorten the OAL on your loads and/or switch to a different bullet profile.  There are no other variables, and it can't be used to direct what someone else needs to do.  If you have an extraction issue, you would never attempt to solve that by reaming your barrel, you'd do the plunk test and see if it's required or not.  If not, then reaming the barrel will have zero impact on an extraction issue.  If indeed the ammo does not pass the plunk test and you ream the barrel, that may or may not fix your extraction issue.  If you have an extraction issue and your ammo plunks fine, try installing the XP spring.  If it installs in the gun, and chambers & extracts without binding, that may solve your problem.  If it installs but then binds up on chambering and/or doesn't extract cleanly when manually cycling, then you may need to clip a coil or two off the spring, since your particular slide likely has a spring recess that is not cut as deep as it should be.  That may then solve your extraction problem.  I had one slide that the XP installed in with no problem and one that required 1.5 coils to be clipped off before it would chamber without binding.

4 hours ago, Tanfastic said:

If YOUR ammo does not pass the plunk test in YOUR barrel, then YOUR barrel needs to be reamed or you need to shorten the OAL on your loads and/or switch to a different bullet profile.  There are no other variables,

Are you sure? I thought (did not know, thought) that with the 9mm Tanfo's the length of the chamber tended to be undersized in diameter and so it was more than just a "leade" length concern. Sort of like as noted below. My unscientific observation (have 2 9's did not get the second one reamed right away) was that the brass fit looser in my reamed gun, in any case there was never a problem with plunk testing my loads but I had ftf's with my non-reamed gun that disappeared when I had the barrel reamed. 

"We utilize our custom 9mm Match Finish Reamer to ensure we bring your undersized chamber back to SAAMI spec while still maintaining the accuracy you demand. Chamber will be sized properly and the “leade” lengthened to allow a much greater range of projectile and OAL to be utilized. This service will greatly increase reliability in guns with short or no “leade” and has no negative affect on accuracy. Usual turnaround time is less than 24hrs and pricing includes return shipping back to you."

My understanding when I had mine done was that the Leade was lengthened to allow more clearance for bullet tip, not that the actual chamber was widened also.  If that's the case that some chambers are actually tighter on the case than they are supposed to be, than it would make sense that this could cause an issue I suppose?  The main takeaway is hopefully that you need to plunk test your ammo, and if it doesn't plunk, you have to fix it before passing GO.

35 minutes ago, Tanfastic said:

.  If that's the case that some chambers are actually tighter on the case than they are supposed to be, than it would make sense that this could cause an issue I suppose?

Sadly, there are some chambers with problems beyond just leade.

2 hours ago, johnbu said:

Sadly, there are some chambers with problems beyond just leade.

Something to be said for consistency though, if Tanfoglio made all barrels the same then people would get spoiled and start expecting them to do the same for frames & trigger bars and stuff. 

On 3/13/2018 at 1:30 PM, Tanfastic said:

g.  If it installs in the gun, and chambers & extracts without binding, that may solve your problem.  If it installs but then binds up on chambering and/or doesn't extract cleanly when manually cycling, then you may need to clip a coil or two off the spring, since your particular slide likely has a spring recess that is not cut as deep as it should b

You're mostly correct, but a slight change may  help more people.

Nearly every XP extractor spring was too tight, initially. Running 50-100 rounds, however settled every single one I've dealt with. They all chambered when hand cycling after running rounds. AND none were plagued with extraction issues.

My "OPINION" is that these guns prefer a too strong spring over one just right. And... with a stiff spring the extractor geometry seems less problematic requiring minimal or zero tweaking.

1 hour ago, johnbu said:

You're mostly correct, but a slight change may  help more people.

Nearly every XP extractor spring was too tight, initially. Running 50-100 rounds, however settled every single one I've dealt with. They all chambered when hand cycling after running rounds. AND none were plagued with extraction issues.

My "OPINION" is that these guns prefer a too strong spring over one just right. And... with a stiff spring the extractor geometry seems less problematic requiring minimal or zero tweaking.

John this has been my experience.

I recently did another experiment running a really worn extractor that had been declared as 'worn out' by previous owner and run ok with XP spring...

Cheers to the THREAD THAT NEVER DIES!!! DEDICATED TO ALL THE FANS!!!

• 2 months later...

I have an XP spring in mine and after about 1000 rounds of working it started puking again. Same jam as described and pictured. Worked for a while and now is jamming like crazy again. about 6  or more times last match. Super frustrating.It has an XP spring in it now but maybe it wore out after a measly 1000 rounds, IDK.

I ordered some Wolf springs and another extractor (my third one) hoping something ends up working correctly together. Im shooting Area 7 in 2 weeks so hopefully I can get it to work soon.

I don’t know if this was a factor with mine.

When I set up my gun, I mirror polished the chamber. Pulled the extractor and sanded down the burrs in the extractor channel where the slide was drilled fo the pin. Polished the top and bottom surfaces of the extractor itself along with the hole in it, and the pin. Installed the wolff XP spring.

I never had any extraction issues.

5 hours ago, Shmella said:

I have an XP spring in mine and after about 1000 rounds of working it started puking again. Same jam as described and pictured. Worked for a while and now is jamming like crazy again. about 6  or more times last match. Super frustrating.It has an XP spring in it now but maybe it wore out after a measly 1000 rounds, IDK.

I ordered some Wolf springs and another extractor (my third one) hoping something ends up working correctly together. Im shooting Area 7 in 2 weeks so hopefully I can get it to work soon.

Is it clean? Some guns build up powder/ oil sludge in the extractor channel and around the extractor itself.

Extractors for Stock 2 vary quite a bit.  I have seen at least 3 different kinds of extractors - one bought from BSPS, one from EAA store and one from PD.  They all carry the same part number 11.1, but they surely have different appearances, e.g. some with marking of "9" on one side and "2" on the other side, some have no marking at all, different profiles including the hook area.  Some may not work in certain Stock 2s.  The best way is probably to buy all of them and find out which one works for your gun.

13 hours ago, johnbu said:

Is it clean? Some guns build up powder/ oil sludge in the extractor channel and around the extractor itself.

Its not that dirty. About 400-500 rounds since last cleaning. s#!t sometimes id shoot more than that in a practice session (when i used to actually practice)

6 hours ago, Shmella said:

Its not that dirty. About 400-500 rounds since last cleaning. s#!t sometimes id shoot more than that in a practice session (when i used to actually practice)

So do I.  But from where I'm sitting,  it's hard to see your firearm to inspect.  So I have to ask. Also, I've seen guns at matches that "were just cleaned" that were dirty as dirty gets.  In some key critical areas.  My primary has 30k or more on the extractor spring.  They should last that long and longer.