Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 vs. .45

fastluck13

Use 200he for 45 and 180 for 40. Impulse wise not much of a difference to me, personally find the 40 gets back on target faster.

This is kinda where I was headed. Can the .45 be dialed in to match that with the right bullet weight?

When I shoot .45 its with 200 gr SWCs. In .40 (Ltd or SS guns) I use 180's. Last year at SS Nats my .40 broke a barrel link so I had to go to my backup SS which was the .45. The first shot of the first stage with the .45, I was thinking.... hmm, this ought to be interesting. But in reality once the buzzer went off I forgot all about it and shot like I always do. I suppose if I did a Taster's Choice test blindfolded with ammo of the same PF I might be able to tell the difference between the two but other than that I dont think it is that much.

I went .40 because of logistical advantages: same ammo as my Ltd gun, slightly cheaper reloading costs, .40 brass is much more easier to come by, when you fly you can bring a little more .40 ammo than .45, and not having to use a barney mag at Make Ready (can load the starter mag with 9 rnds of .40 in a SS mag as opposed to doing the two mag thing with .45).

Use 200he for 45 and 180 for 40. Impulse wise not much of a difference to me, personally find the 40 gets back on target faster.

This is kinda where I was headed. Can the .45 be dialed in to match that with the right bullet weight?
Any load can and should be adjusted to the bullet weight. I use 3.6 grains of tite group with a 180 40 s&w for idpa and it shoots just as soft as any 9mm load. For major power factor I jack the grains up to 4.6 with the same bullet. I've chrono'ed these loads and know how the perform, if I choose another weight bullet I'd use different charge.

45 is a good load as well, the answer on "which one is better" depends on what your goal is. I shoot uspsa & idpa and practice a lot so 40 is the better choice for my goals.

Good luck.

Edited by wmetzler01

As stated, there's not much difference in recoil, especially after the timer beeps. Most shoot for the logistical benefit, and there's also the "cool .40 cal 1911 dude" factor cause there aren't that many .40 cal single stacks out there.

There are more 40 cals out there than you think. As well as 9mm. Just sayin' not hatin'. I have them in all except 38 Super and I am looking to fix that.

The 45 cal Trip mags have a longer tube and seat as though they're loaded down.

For ease of reloading the 45 ACP in the gun, the Tripps are great as they are true 8 rd mags. That being said the Wilson ETMs are the same thing, redesigned to fit 8 rds reloadable( slightly longer tubes) so as you see we have choices. As for the 40 I have Tripps 10mm (6) that came with a gun I purchased and I also use the Wilson 47Ds (hold 9 rds, my barney mag) and also the Wilson ETMs same deal. So again lots of choices especially since I only have opportunity to have the wrong mags for either gun 6 times. (number of 10mm mags I have) All these things have shown me that the 40 cal 1911 is a very reliable platform (as long as I do my part on the reloading bench)

Those of you having problems seating 8-round 45ACP mags on a closed slide should look to you mag catches. Wilson ETMs run flawlessly in all my 1911s Tripps do not, because they are designed to sit lower in the frame. On my pistols, they almost never strip the first round from slide lock.

You can buy mag catches designed to raise or lower the mags by up to .020" each way.

As stated, there's not much difference in recoil, especially after the timer beeps. Most shoot for the logistical benefit, and there's also the "cool .40 cal 1911 dude" factor cause there aren't that many .40 cal single stacks out there.

There are more 40 cals out there than you think. As well as 9mm. Just sayin' not hatin'. I have them in all except 38 Super and I am looking to fix that.

I'm in California, not many out here, with our "Safe Handgun Roster" keeping those evil .40 cal 1911 guns from running amok and doing evil things to our delicate snowflake population.

That said, I have a .40 Single Stack, I converted an old Kimber I had. Shoots nice, Kart barrel and bushing, STI slide and a really bad parkerizing job.

Edited by robertg5322

One thing that I have not seen anyone mention, shooting a 45 you have a better chance of scoring the higher point on a iffy shot, and shooting the 40 would be a clean miss. Very important when you are shooting for points. Historically, the 45 is normally more accurate of a round also. Yea , I know iffy is not a word, but you all know where I am coming from. Faster back on target can be handled with the springs.

One thing that I have not seen anyone mention, shooting a 45 you have a better chance of scoring the higher point on a iffy shot, and shooting the 40 would be a clean miss. Very important when you are shooting for points. Historically, the 45 is normally more accurate of a round also. Yea , I know iffy is not a word, but you all know where I am coming from. Faster back on target can be handled with the springs.

You are also closer to the no shoot.