Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting the open journey - 9 major

roklock

Ok, been looking and picked up a used trubor with about 1000 rounds. Now a few questions

I am currently shooting limited with a Para P-16, lightened slide, 12lb recoil spring, 180 gn bullet.

First thing I want to do is buy a Cheely setback mount to get the dot lower.

OK, the proverbial question, 115 or 124 bullets? Which ones to try first? Or do you buy a couple of each and try each one? Based on reading the 115's "slap" might be close to what I currently shoot. I have 10 pounds of WAC so I want to stick with that as well.

Then this winter I am hoping that with the setback mount I can still get a racker installed on the slide.

Also I have read that some recommend replacing the guide rod with a one piece, what is the theory behind that?

Can't wait to get some rounds down the barrel.

Steve

Another vote for 115's. I ran them in my old freedom gun works Sti before I got rid of it and run them in my Czechmate now. You guys that load long waste a lot of powder! I use 7.3 gr of wac in my Czechmate (around 1.135 if I remember right)and make 172 pf! ?

Edited by kitestir

• 4 weeks later...

Try the 124 JHP Montana Gold. It's very accurate and consistent. It's more expensive then other brans but you are shooting open anyway so just get the best for your gun.

The one piece guide rod will be smoother then factory recoil mater. Use a 11 lbs. variable recoil spring with it and you will have a predictable muscle flip for a faster follow-up shot.

I'm beginning the same journey. Waiting on a Dan Bedell 9mm Major delivery. Have 8# of HS6 on hand and 5K Win small rifle primers. Ordered 1000 Black Bullet International 125gr bullets. I love the whole process of load development, spring selection etc..... Will be my first go round for sight mount selection, dot module, popple holes.

I'm beginning the same journey. Waiting on a Dan Bedell 9mm Major delivery. Have 8# of HS6 on hand and 5K Win small rifle primers. Ordered 1000 Black Bullet International 125gr bullets. I love the whole process of load development, spring selection etc..... Will be my first go round for sight mount selection, dot module, popple holes.

I tried the Black Bullets in my open gun, and hated them. Plenty of lead in the comp, and strong stench of burnt plastic, even outdoors.

So I retired them to regular 9mm rounds.

They say Blue Bullets don't stink - but at this point I am staying with the jackets.

Also... 115 versus 124... get the happy medium: 121 IFP bullets! :)

I use BBI also, my recipe is 125gr BBI, 8.0gr HS-6, 1.160 oal.

Hello: I still don't understand why guys are trying to save pennies on cheap bullets for an expensive open gun? Think about how many rounds you shoot in the match. Then multiply the difference between cheap bullets and good jacketed. How much of a difference is it maybe $5? I can see using coated bullets for practice or a pistol with no comp but cleaning junk out of a comp is not fun for me. Another issue is the smoke on coated bullets? I guess for some they like using less powder but I will take a good quality bullet over cheaper coated bullets for my open guns. Thanks, Eric

Didn't mean to start a bullet war. Have shot thousands of 147gr BBI bullets. Figured I would give the 125gr a try in the Bedell gun. I'm sure there will be bigger issues to work out, trying to learn how to shoot a dot gun, than coated lead bullets. 1000 won't last very long anyway. The cost difference is quite significant, however. I can get 1000 BBI for $70 shipped as opposed to $135 for the MG.

I've shot over 18,000 BBI bullets over the last few years in 9mm and 2,000 in .45 w/o any issues. This is my first open gun. Granted, I haven't been pushing above said bullets @ 1350-1400fps, am I really expecting too much from these bullets?

I'm a bit biased, as I shoot for BBI, but I shoot BBI 125 grainers over 7.1 grns WAC, 1.168, WSP, mixed cases, to make 170+ PF.

Spray some Hornady One Shot Case Lube in your comp about every 50-100 rounds and there is no lead, just carbon. Watching my videos with my stock Trubor there is smoke, but I didn't notice it at all while shooting.

if you're like me, you're price conscious. What is a little work after a match? Should be cleaning your gun anyway. Same way I treat my limited gun. Clean and lube it after every range session. When you're shooting $2-5k guns, why not take care of them? Personal preference, I guess.