Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HiTek coating

ickus

I use HS-6

Run PF closer to 172.

Your question is a little vague though. Are you casting and coating yourself, or a commercial bullet?

I imagine quality control and the care taken in the coating process could play a big factor in things.

My experience is with leatherhead bullets.

Good product.

I've been using Bayou 124 RN gold coated in my STI GM. I cast my own LEE 356-125 with hard alloy (not sure of the exact composition) I've coated with Red Brick, three coats. I've done some beginning experimenting with this combo in my open gun. I get no leading at 1400fps. I have no build up in the comp with the bayou bullets so far. They are working very good for me.

I've shot both hi-tek coated and the blue bullets through my FGW 5" with 3 holes. They work fine and I see no degradation in accuracy but I definitely have to clean more vs jacketed or plated w/ the holes.

Thought I'd try some cheaper Bullets.... Acme Lipstick Bullets. They are 124gr NLG-RN Hi-Tek coated. I'v shot over 400 rounds and they are Not accrete at all.... I get groups up to 7' and out at 20 yards off a sand bag. I'm use to 2' groups or less with Berry's 9mm 124gr HB-TP-RN

My loading and spec's are the same I've us'ed for years

Mix Brass, 124gr over 6.6gr IMR 7625, OAL 1.145-1.150, CCI small rifle primer, lite crimp leaves no marks, PF average's 168-170 out of KKM barrel

Not sure what ta do Now ?

Thought I'd try some cheaper Bullets.... Acme Lipstick Bullets. They are 124gr NLG-RN Hi-Tek coated. I'v shot over 400 rounds and they are Not accrete at all.... I get groups up to 7' and out at 20 yards off a sand bag. I'm use to 2' groups or less with Berry's 9mm 124gr HB-TP-RN

My loading and spec's are the same I've us'ed for years

Mix Brass, 124gr over 6.6gr IMR 7625, OAL 1.145-1.150, CCI small rifle primer, lite crimp leaves no marks, PF average's 168-170 out of KKM barrel

Not sure what ta do Now ?

Do you want to try some BBI 125 9mm (https://www.blackbulletsinternational.com), assuming you have some acme's left? We could swap and you can see if results different with different producer? PM me if you are interested.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 10k+ of the 125 blue bullets through my CK open gun. Kkm barrel w/3 popple holes. No isseues at all... except what to do with all the money im saving. Oh thats right, buy more bullets. Load is 1.165 OAL, 7.9gr HS6 and 125 gr blues making 175 PF.

I have used Bayou 124TC's in my G31, and they go a little over 1,400 FPS, with no leading. These coatings are very sensitive to curing time and temperature and coating thickness. If not properly done, they are little better than moly. So OP, this was home cured?