Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning A5 shoots slugs 6-8" left at 50-yards, need advice.

sasquatch981

Just shot the Oregon 3Gun Championship in bend and had a great time. Shot a gazillion slugs, and was having difficulties. They shoot 6-8" left, even with the Gobble-Dot adjusted all the way to the right.

I have heard of people whacking the barrel against a tree to solve this problem, but the idea of taking an $1100 shotgun and hitting a tree with it does not sit well with the little lizard brain I have. Any ideas?

Thanks

I turn out a lot of A5s and they are pretty on poa/poi with the factory sights. They shoot a little high at 50 yards, windage dead on.

After trying different slugs...

How did it shoot WITHOUT the Gobble-dots sights? The original question is, did it shoot that left with the original factory sight? Can you take off "Gobble-dot" sights and test. If still that bad with original sights, CALL BROWNING!

Sorry should have given a little information before.

Have shot several different loads slugs through before the match.

B&P's Perfect POI and POA, but won't cycle

Fiocchi full power and low recoil All shot furhter left

Federal Law Enforcement Low Recoils, Federal Penetrator Low Recoils all shoot left

Breneke were not even on paper

This was all done before the match, and hence the reason for the Gobble dot. Once the sight was on and adjusted still shot left.

The frustrating part is I have a case of the B&P's!!!!

I'd be more concerned that B&P slugs don't run it. The very few Brownings I have played with all ran those just fine, but every shotgun is different. I.E. My old M1 doesn't really like to run with more than 5 B&P slugs in it, and yet my "newer" M1 will.

I'd be more concerned that B&P slugs don't run it. The very few Brownings I have played with all ran those just fine, but every shotgun is different. I.E. My old M1 doesn't really like to run with more than 5 B&P slugs in it, and yet my "newer" M1 will.

Have seen a few that wouldn't run them.

Taking weight out of the bolt does not make a gun run lighter loads. Lightening the bolt in an inertia gun is done to make it cycle faster, making it harder to outrun the trigger. I can outrun a stock Benelli pretty repeatably, I have yet to outrun one of mine since they have had the TTI package done on them.

Then what makes an inertia bolt move faster? If a light load is what makes the bolt move, wouldn't a lighter one move faster, as there is no gas system bleeding off the pressure?

I am by no means an expert, but as I understand it, basically....

When you fire, the mass of the bolt moving forward against the rest of the mass of the gun coming back will load the inertia spring, which then cycles the gun. The lighter the bolt, the less it will load the spring, meaning less energy in the spring then to cycle the bolt.

In an inerta gun you would need a lighter bolt return spring to cycle lighter loads. Less resistence to the bolt moving to the rear allows it to cycle with less energetic loads. The down side is less energy moving the bolt back into battery which can just as easily cause problems in a semi-auto shotgun.

Edited by T Bacus

Go practice without the stress of shooting a match. Try different slugs, distances and record the results. More than likely you will not need to bend the barrel. You may need to have the rib milled to install a rear sight. Getting a shotgun to shoot slugs takes some patience.

my Benelli does the same thing. I did two things to get the right point of impact, I took the cast off shim out of the gun and I pivoted the fibre optic seven squillionths of an inch to the left before loctiting it back down.

It shoots spot on now, though I did plant a tree in the back garden in case my mods didn't work

P.D.

And now all we need is a jig to WELD the A5 back together after it breaks at the front of the receiver! It won't shoot B&P slugs AND it's POI is off. Least with the spaghetti slinger it was only one problem ;)

And now all we need is a jig to WELD the A5 back together after it breaks at the front of the receiver! It won't shoot B&P slugs AND it's POI is off. Least with the spaghetti slinger it was only one problem ;)

Wonder if JB Weld would sponsor a team??

So .. how straight is your rib?

Something I discovered with my M3000 is that being a relatively inexpensive Turkish gun, sometimes the dude with the hammer and the welder might be a bit drunk. In my case, and I may be unique as so far I'm the only case I've heard about, the rib is not quite perfectly straight on the barrel, it is a VERY tiny smidge to right of the receiver and a bit more to the left by the time it gets to the muzzle. That means that if I have a front and rear sight mounted on the rib and actually use to aim after I have them nicely aligned it will shoot to the right. That means that I have to drift my rear sight quite a bit to make it all work.

In theory the Beretta/Benelli/Stoeger people will fix it, but they've advised me to not even bother sending it in until the end of the season because the wait time if 8-10 weeks (or was when I called them). I may even not bothered now that I know how to aim it for slugs and it makes little difference for birdshot.

I wonder if other guns have this issue as well.

My versamax has the holes for the rail on the top of the receiver drilled at a weird angle. Also the flat on the top of the receiver is milled at a strange angle. I would hope alcohol was involved, because I don't know how you turn out that kind of quality sober!