Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll: What weight bullet?

danjordan78

I didn't vote because I can't make up my mind :). I'm leaning towards just loading 147's to USPSA minor PF and going with that. That way I'll have a single load I can use for anything I want to shoot - USPSA, Steel Challenge, Pro-Am, etc.

I shoot 115 grain. Not a real good reason other than is what I started with. I have loads that I like and are accurate so I just stick with it.

My brother just switched over to 147 grain and they are softer shooting. We both shoot Glocks with stock recoil springs.

In my 1911/2011 I use either 115 or 124 for 9x23 loaded Major because Win brass can't be loaded with 147g due to the inside taper (I can load 147g in Starline cases because the taper is shorter, but starline is only about 1/3 of my available brass). For 9x23 in Limited I usually load a slow 124g and in Single Stack 9mm I use whatever I happen to have around.. In my Glocks I shoot 124g NATO 9mm +P loads in open and 147g 1000 FPS in Limited.

115 in my Open gun for Steel. Light bullet with a bunch of slow powder to make the comp work.

124/125 for USPSA Open major. A heavier bullet so it is a bit easier it make major with the 9mm.

147 in my Limited Steel and/or USPSA Production minor. Heavy bullet with very little powder, shoots soft and easy to make minor for USPSA

Edited by scottlep

Glad I ordered some 115s to try:)

I like the idea of the 147s as well with the slower recoil impulse. Interested to see if I prefer the quick snap or slower push. Got some 135s too which could be a good balance between 125 and 147.

Can't wait to get them here to start some load development.

I recently worked up a load using 105 gr bayou bullets to be used in my limited steel gun. Very soft and accurate enough for steel. There were shooting about 2 inches at 20 yards off hand. I posted the load data on the reloading section. I am using Ramshot comp powder. Came in at 106 PF

Keith

Let the load development begin...

Thanks for the input. Going to be trying out a little bit of everything with a couple of different kinds of powder. Should be able to come up with something that works good!

post-46011-0-77644200-1439372108_thumb.j

STI Steelmaster. Have always shot 125s so really curious as to how the 115s and 147s will feel.

Have N310, 700x, and Silhouette and can probably get Titegroup in good quantities to play with. Wish I could get some autocomp but have never seen it here.

• 5 months later...

I shot some 147s through my czechmate today with tightgroup. I didnt really like that it took a week and a half to hear the steel ring at distance on outer limits. Gonna stick to 115s loaded light.