Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optic P09

knedrgr

*peeking out of my cave* why is the p09 going to dominate? Will an all metal pistol be too heavy for the division? I am going to have my slide milled for a red dot but I am doing this more for a pistol I can shoot (can't see worth a darn...).

Yes, division maximum weight is 35 ounces I believe

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*peeking out of my cave* why is the p09 going to dominate? Will an all metal pistol be too heavy for the division? I am going to have my slide milled for a red dot but I am doing this more for a pistol I can shoot (can't see worth a darn...).

My opinion, I think the SA of the P-09 is superior to the striker fired guns. Very good accuracy and ergonomics. There are a few guys talking about some steel CZ guns making weight, those will be the real gamer guns if they can make weight. But remember, just like PF, you need a little hedge room at the weigh-in. I would not feel comfortable going to a big match (if/when it's approved for Level 2/3 matches) with a gun weighing 34.9 oz. on my home scale.

P-09 is reportedly one of the most accurate CZs. Even mores so than the Shadow. You can find on YouTube video of a guy shooting groups at 100 and 200 yards with a red dot.

Heh, that's Joe. He has beat out plenty of 1911's and other all steel guns in bulls eye comps with his P-09.

I think once you add an optic the barrel length is less relevant. IMO the real sleepers in this division will be pistols like the P-01 set up like a full on comp ready Shadow but with a red dot.

+1, with the red dot the sight radius advantage goes away. Just need to make sure your PF stays above 125 with the shorter barrel. CZ compact with the steel frame or the P-01 with the aluminum frame and rail w/ decocker could be polished to run just like the full size guns. Shorter grip may make reloads challenging for those with beefy palms getting pinched. But it sure would transition quick!

Max weight for Carry Optic is 35oz.

This division was made because Glock, S&W, and Springfield basically told USPSA they weren't going to support the league on the same level they were in the past because essentially their guns aren't as competitive as the CZ's and Tanfoglio's. So since USPSA likes their money they made this new Carry Optic division with a 35oz weight limit thinking they would now be competitive since just about all the all steel guns can't make weight...
Now the Glock/S&W/XD guys are still pissed because they have figured out the CZ P-07 and P-09 are going to dominate the class due to the triggers being leaps and bounds better than any striker fired guns trigger could be.
Edited by bruceg

Like others have said, I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the S&W and Glock marketing conference rooms a year from now when they realize their master plan has failed.

Somebody needs to make a Downfall meme out of this..........

Like others have said, I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the S&W and Glock marketing conference rooms a year from now when they realize their master plan has failed.

Somebody needs to make a Downfall meme out of this..........

4269665.jpg

Edited by bruceg

This division was made because Glock, S&W, and Springfield basically told USPSA they weren't going to support the league on the same level they were in the past because essentially their guns aren't as competitive as the CZ's and Tanfoglio's. So since USPSA likes their money they made this new Carry Optic division with a 35oz weight limit thinking they would now be competitive since just about all the all steel guns can't make weight...
Now the Glock/S&W/XD guys are still pissed because they have figured out the CZ P-07 and P-09 are going to dominate the class due to the triggers being leaps and bounds better than any striker fired guns trigger could be.

People are thinking the P Series CZ's are going to destroy everything in this division because the SA P series CZ trigger is above and beyond anything a striker fired gun can come close to. The whole thing is kinda controversial...well...not really I guess but my belief is that the Glock/S&W and other plastic gun lovers want a division to excel in (since essentially CZ and Tanfo dominate everything) and they thought this would be the class for them. But that won't really be the case because as others have eluded to, I think the P-07 and 09 will be the top guns in this division. I mean, the added weight of an all steel gun is certainly an advantage, but let's face it - CZ's and Tanfo's dominate the striker guns in other divisions because of the triggers, not the gun weight IMO.

Though I've been very anxiously awaiting my new P-09, I have to admit that I've actually been toiling over whether or not to keep it or sell it, despite having bought a red dot specifically for it. I just didn't know what I'd be using it for besides a range toy. A new carry optics division changes . . . well, everything. Looks like I'll be calling you pretty darn soon, Bruce. Gonna need some work done.

People are thinking the P Series CZ's are going to destroy everything in this division because the SA P series CZ trigger is above and beyond anything a striker fired gun can come close to. The whole thing is kinda controversial...well...not really I guess but my belief is that the Glock/S&W and other plastic gun lovers want a division to excel in (since essentially CZ and Tanfo dominate everything) and they thought this would be the class for them. But that won't really be the case because as others have eluded to, I think the P-07 and 09 will be the top guns in this division. I mean, the added weight of an all steel gun is certainly an advantage, but let's face it - CZ's and Tanfo's dominate the striker guns in other divisions because of the triggers, not the gun weight IMO.

Though I've been very anxiously awaiting my new P-09, I have to admit that I've actually been toiling over whether or not to keep it or sell it, despite having bought a red dot specifically for it. I just didn't know what I'd be using it for besides a range toy. A new carry optics division changes . . . well, everything. Looks like I'll be calling you pretty darn soon, Bruce. Gonna need some work done.

We'll be waiting for ya, man!

Edited by bruceg

even i think that's a cool gun, and i think the whole PO idea is pretty goofy. So if p09's dominate, will the sig lobby try to change the rules some more to try to exclude them?

only if our current President is still lurking around for them to pander to .....

Edited by Nimitz

CZ's website says the p09 comes shipped with a decocker installed but can be converted to manual safety easily. Is this production legal?

As I mentioned in the other thread, I was pretty set on a G34 but now I'm reconsidering as I do love some CZ.

CZ's website says the p09 comes shipped with a decocker installed but can be converted to manual safety easily. Is this production legal?

As I mentioned in the other thread, I was pretty set on a G34 but now I'm reconsidering as I do love some CZ.

Yes. It comes with both in the box when you buy it

I would think that the decocker would be the way to go. Not only does it make it easier and safer to drop the hammer while making ready but it leaves the hammer on the half cock notch so your DA trigger pull will be shorter and slightly lighter.

Which optic do you guys think most will prefer for this class? Looks like the C-More stuff gets the most talk.

I don't think C-More will be the most popular when it comes to slide mounted optics. IMO the big three will be Burris Fastfire III, RMR, and Deltapoint.