Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEVER OWNED A CZ .....

bowenbuilt

I won a Springfield P9 at Second Chance but let it get away, that is as close as I have ever been to a CZ. So I am thinking I need to get into the CZ corner to see what all the excitement is about. If you were going to purchase a brand new gun today for Production what would it be? I am a total nubie when it comes to CZ, never owned one, never fired one. What should I get that is reasonably priced?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternately, buy a SP01, buy all the parts from CGW, install them, and save yourself about $400 or so. :)

I've done it both ways, and I think a shadow is worth the extra. Then, if you add some CGW parts on top, it's even better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I've done it both ways, and I think a shadow is worth the extra. Then, if you add some CGW parts on top, it's even better.

How so? What are you getting besides the sights and (as I understand) no FPB?

An extra mag and a better trigger out of the box. My 75 Shadow SA had a very nice 3.5lb trigger out of the box. It's down about 2.5lbs now just with dine CGW parts. I haven't done any polishing yet.

There's nothing wrong with an SP-01 with CGW parts. I did that before I bought the Shadow. I just like the little extras that a Shadow offers, for not a lot of extra money, given what you get.

Edited by TennJeep1618

For production, I'd recommend a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow.

I second this, it was a toss up between Shadow or a SP-01. The Shadow had a better trigger and was definitely worth the extra cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An extra mag and a better trigger out of the box. My 75 Shadow SA had a very nice 3.5lb trigger out of the box. It's down about 2.5lbs now just with dine CGW parts. I haven't done any polishing yet.

There's nothing wrong with an SP-01 with CGW parts. I did that before I bought the Shadow. I just like the little extras that a Shadow offers, for not a lot of extra money, given what you get.

Cool :D

For me, it was all about getting into the gun. With the help of a person who had already done the work, I was able to buy the SP01, and all the CGW parts. Then, I watched a bunch of youtube videos, and followed the KneelingAtlas thread on how and what to polish. In the end, that gave me a 7.5lb DA/2.5SA trigger. So, I was happy. You definitely have to put in the extra work. If you have the tools and aren't afraid of getting into the gun a bit, it's well worth your time. (If for nothing else, you learn how to properly take the gun apart).

So there is a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow and then just a Shadow? See here is where it gets kind of confusing, you have an SP-01, a Shadow and an SP-01 Shadow? Are there only 2 guns or 3? I am going to purchase one of them it's just hard to figure out which one. Which has the most gun for the money?

I prefer my SP01 shadow over my SP01. I can notice the difference, not much but there is a little difference. I got the SP01 as a backup, and now my daughter shoots it. I have essentially the same parts in them (CGW).

Three guns, SP01, SP01 Shadow, and Shadow. SPO1 designates full dust cover. The Shadow is no firing pin block, so a shorter reset is possible.

I prefer my SP01 shadow over my SP01. I can notice the difference, not much but there is a little difference. I got the SP01 as a backup, and now my daughter shoots it. I have essentially the same parts in them (CGW).

Three guns, SP01, SP01 Shadow, and Shadow. SPO1 designates full dust cover. The Shadow is no firing pin block, so a shorter reset is possible.

Now that clears things up quite a bit. Thank you for that information. So, an SP01 Shadow is a full dust cover with no FP block. Sounds like just what I need.

I hear you Smitty on the magazines. Thanks! I very much appreciate the help and recommendations. What is everyone using for sights? Stock rear with a DP FO front? And I have read enough to know CGW's for all the internals right?

Edited by bowenbuilt

Shadow is a variant of a base gun, so there is a 75, a 75 Shadow, an SP01, and an SP01 Shadow. As mentioned the Shadows have no FPB and some other upgrades.

Personally I'm stuck between the 75SA and the 75 Shadow. I don't know that the better trigger is worth the extra $300, but I see it has a thicker barrel so maybe there are some hidden advantages or upgrades. Part of my being stuck is that I like the SA trigger, but I'm really new and don't think shooting Limited sounds like the right thing for me.

Mec-Gar mags work well, I have one stock mag and the rounds rattle. I use it for dry fire only. I like the stock rear sight and a DP front. I can't remember the height, but I got it tall so I could file it down and put the dot on the top. I like a skinny front sight.

Get the a model without FPB. It will be better as a stock pistol and only costs a little bit more. SP01 Shadow was my choice. Got an SRT job, action work and race hammer from CZC and it is pretty sweet. This let me get into the pistol for about $900, then upgrade trigger/hammer/action for about $300 a few years later. Couldn't be happier.

+1 for Mec Gar mags, although I replaced all my CZ mag springs with wolff +10% springs and they have been totally fine for 5000 rounds.

So I am thinking I need to get into the CZ corner to see what all the excitement is about. If you were going to purchase a brand new gun today for Production what would it be? I am a total nubie when it comes to CZ, never owned one, never fired one. What should I get that is reasonably priced?

Am wrestling with the same questions.

I think the excitement is about inherent accuracy + easy control (weight / balance / size / grip angle / grip height) + some flaring of magwell for easier reloads + reliability. Folks with more trigger time can correct or expand.

An option that may or may not be past what you define as "reasonably priced" would be this one. http://czcustom.com/cz75shadowls-pblk.aspx

It offers a longer sight radius than the SP01, which I think might be found to be a plus by many shooters (not certain about this though, 5.5 and 6" limited guns are not the choice of the majority), but has a slightly smaller mag opening and a slightly lower grip height and might not be as nicely balanced and has a heavier slide which could theoretically effect spring choice and muzzle dip, so it may or may not lose more in handling than the sight radius is worth.

I just don't know.

In any case, another option to think about, and yes, I think confusion is unavoidable when you first start thinking about CZ's.

IHAVEGAS, you're really over thinking this :) bowenbuilt asked "What should I get that is reasonably priced?", the CTS costs three times what an SP01 does, so I don't think that fits the bill.

The best Production shooters in the world are shooting SP01 Shadows and Stock IIs, there's no need to reinvent the wheel. If you lean to the CZ and want to save a few bucks on the initial investment, an SP01 fully tuned for ~$1,000 is so close to an SP01 Shadow I can barely tell the difference (I've owned many of each).

IHAVEGAS, you're really over thinking this :) bowenbuilt asked "What should I get that is reasonably priced?", the CTS costs three times what an SP01 does, so I don't think that fits the bill.

The best Production shooters in the world are shooting SP01 Shadows and Stock IIs, there's no need to reinvent the wheel. If you lean to the CZ and want to save a few bucks on the initial investment, an SP01 fully tuned for ~$1,000 is so close to an SP01 Shadow I can barely tell the difference (I've owned many of each).

I know you are right about the over thinking part (it is what I do) and I very strongly suspect you are right about everything else.

"Reasonable" gun price for a USPSA production gun is kind of a flexible concept though. When you look at gas & ammo and match fees and accessories and training time and yadda padda peeda etcetera, sometimes you end up convincing yourself that you might as well get the gun you really want. Perhaps the original poster is smarter than I am and will be immune to this process, but "buy once cry once" has trapped many a man.

The 40 you had listed is frigging slick by the way, if I could somehow justify another 40 limited gun . . . .

My $600 Sp-01 with $250 in upgrades(and Atlas polish) was a much better gun than my $850 SP-01 shadow. The shadow was the "back-up" gun, and actually slightly disappointing, until I invested some considerable time and money into turning into my primary gun. Either way they're both great starting points.

Edited by Leadpilot

The only difference in the Shadow and the SP-01 after all the CGW upgrades is the SP-01 has a ~1mm longer reset. Trigger pull and everything else is the same. If you feel that is worth the extra $300 then go for it. In most cases when people say that the Shadow has a better trigger then the SP-01 it is in reference to a stock trigger(who shoots a stock trigger) or trigger jobs before we had CGW parts. David has went through a lot of effort in designing parts to get the best possible trigger out of FPB pistols. One thing that the SP-01 has an advantage over the Shadow, other than price, is the CGW rear sight. It only fits in the standard 75 dovetail that he SP-01 has. The Shadow has a different dovetail The reason I like it more is David's sight has a much deeper cut that allows more light around the front post that allows for quicker acquisition.

My word of advice is that it doesn't really matter what you choose out the gate, because they tend to multiply like rabbits and you'll eventually wind up with all of them. Granted this is an observation of a n=1 sample size.

OK guys I have made the decision to purchase an SP01 just because I like the sight options better. I have made my list for David and I should be good. Thank you all for the guidance and opinions. This is a great forum, probably the world's best if you want to know something. I appreciate all the participation and help. I am looking forward to getting into the gun and learning how it all works. Working on your own gun is after all, half the fun. Thanks again to you all for the help.

Edited by bowenbuilt