Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The one drill that made a difference for you.

johniac7078

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scrambler drill.

please explain ...?
Two boxes, wall or sticks to define two shooting areas. One target centred. Move side to side shooting only one round. Hit or miss move to other side.

Recommended distance between boxes?

About 8 to 10 feet. The nice thing about boxes is you can do 4 feet to work on gun up movement, say 8 feet to work on dropping it down and say 15 feet to work on full break, run and regrip. You can use the splits to test the different theories to see what distance and technique works best for you.

Damn I was overdoing it yesterday. I did 25', it made me really not want to miss.

The beauty of the drill. I am not knocking the others by any means, but I really think it is the live fire drill (with slight variations as desired) that produces the best chance at focused practice and gains in skill.

Edited by MarkCO

Thanks for bringing the drill to my attention Mark, I really like it. It really includes a lot of important skills rather than just focusing on one or two. And just like every other drill I like, I'm going to mess with throwing in different positions, targets and target presentations to try to build more skills at once.

Combination of Dot Torture and Bill Drill for me. I usually start out my training sessions with a couple rounds of dot torture, move to longer-range accuracy shooting (i.e. 25-yard headshots on an IPSC cardboard) then some speed drills to finish it out. It's made a HUGE difference for me in the past 6 months....well, that and the fact that I've started regularly going to live-fire practice.

6 shots at 25 yards - no time limit. Smallest group possible is the goal.

Edited to add: standing / freestyle shooting position.

I took a two day class with Frank Garcia and we did this drill a LOT. Very valuable in terms of learning trigger prep and sight awareness.

I haven't done enough careful shooting at the 25-yard distance, but the time I've spent on that has helped me improve. Recently I've become more consistent at hitting A's and knocking down steel at the 20 to 35 yard distances.

From draw. 2 Alphas at 25 Yds in 2 seconds or less

Lots of things have to go right for that

Mj

That is an excellent drill. Went through a period where I did it at every practice session.

Most all these drills describe what I do during my range time. As a matter of fact im heading out now to do some of these drills shortly. Like how I lossly choose my discription of training. Lol. Good drills, all of them.

The drill that made the biggest difference for me in the last year is where you set your timer on a random start time, prep the trigger, and then on the beep, break the trigger without disturbing the sights before the beep has ended. Before I started working that drill, my trigger control was pretty good in slow fire, but not so good when shooting at speed.

It also helped whip my strong hand / weak hand shooting into shape.

The drill that made the biggest difference for me in the last year is where you set your timer on a random start time, prep the trigger, and then on the beep, break the trigger without disturbing the sights before the beep has ended. Before I started working that drill, my trigger control was pretty good in slow fire, but not so good when shooting at speed.

It also helped whip my strong hand / weak hand shooting into shape.

I have done this to check reaction times. Never like this, but I will be trying it out. Thank you for sharing.

From draw. 2 Alphas at 25 Yds in 2 seconds or less

Pls tell me that is M or GM time :surprise:

Gm times?? I'm guessing they have to be less than 1.50 iron and less than 1.25 Open. I'm no GM but I was closing in on 1.60 with an Open but like is say I'm guessing and not a GM. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Another good one... 2, 8" or 10" plates at 25 yards, placed about 3 yards apart. Draw and shoot one hit on each in less that 2 seconds.

Ill be doing that one ^^^ all week since I have an ACTION STEEL Match this weekend

Mj

2 things that helped me tremendously:

1) learning proper grip

2) practicing from draw to sight picture in front of a blank wall

I'm still new and have a lot to learn, but after a day of practicing these two things, I shot in a steel match and couldn't believe how fast I made it through the first round. Everything was different, and before my brain could catch up I had 3 clean rounds in under 3 seconds each.

2) practicing from draw to sight picture in front of a blank wall

I did that almost every day for 20 years. As you start the draw, close your eyes. Open your eyes when you are in the index position, the goal - see perfect sight alignment.