Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Was Your First 1911 Part To Fail In A Match?

GunBugBit

I don't know that I have ever had a part break in a match. I did buy a dawson mag catch with a thumb button and despite cleaning the threads religiously and using loctite, it kept coming loose. They finally sent me a new mag button and it's been fine since. I have also lost the fiber optic from my front sight a few times, but I highly doubt that had any bearing on my match performance.

All of my 19/2011s have their original extractors. I'm not saying I don't believe the people who say they are failure prone, or that aftecs are a good idea in 9/40 guns, etc., but I have not had a lick of trouble with any of mine. I've only been shooting for 11 years though, so maybe I'm an inch away from a major extractor failure.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just recently had a slide stop break. It sheared right where it passed through the barrel link. i didnt notice it till 2 days after the match. Guess that explains a few of my strange malfunctions I had.

Hello

Do you havea picture of that SS breakage?

I did till last night. I was cleaning my pics up and believe I deleted it. I will check to see if I still have the part

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I had a factory STI sear give way in the middle of a match, allowing the hammer to follow. Turns out wear caused it to lose the correct angle in relation to the hammer hooks. A replacement sear fixed the problem.

My first part broken was my Brazos microdot front sight. The back half broke off. I still had the front post to continue the match with, so that's a good thing. I have also had my extractor break during a match but keep one in my range bag, so it was quickly remedied.

When you shoot a lot, expect parts to break.

Barrel link...luckily enough a mate lent me his Edge to finish the match..squeezed in third place with half a (short) stage missing....

I had just switched from a Glock 35 to an Edge which only had about 2000 rounds through it - was not too impressed to say the least....

I suspect that the fact that it was a match had something to do with it...Murphy's law and all that :surprise:

• 3 weeks later...

The only failure so far is the barrel link busted. Even had a crack in the web between the holes.

I have seen at matches,

slide stop pins break in half

barrel links break at the slide stop pin

rear sight elevation screws break

extractors hooks chip off

I have matching USPSA single stack pistols in 45 and 9mm. The back up has come in useful, once so far.