Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Visual Acuity requirement

Youngeyes

I've read debate on the definition of " adequate" hearing protection . I've not seen any requirement for an "adequate" visual acuity requirement. If for example, a shooter without corrective lenses is 20/100, and that shooter doesn't wish to wear a correction in their shooting glasses, is a there a rule in place? Is there a minimum vision rule? You need a required level of vision to drive a car or fly a plane. Can anyone find any such vision requirements in the rulebook? I've also wondered if the certification for RO shouldn't have such vision rules in place as well. They really should be required to have their vision documented and be at an " adequate" level.

while in theory this might sound like a good idea I think the reason you don't see this anywhere in the rules is because it would virtually be impossible to enforce. Do you require all shooters to have on file with USPSA HQ a signed physical froma doctor stating they have the required minimum visual acquity? Same for ROs ....? While it would be easier to mandate & enforce for ROs, given they they are volunteers I'm not sure this is such a great idea ... if we had a paid, professional RO corps then absolutely, you'd set & enforce a set of rigorous standards ....

As long as a shooter can "see" the 180, I couldn't care less what there vision is. As far as ROs go, I figure if they are not tripping over stuff they can see well enough to make sure safety rules are followed. Tell the truth, do you feel you got a bad foot fault call at a match this weekend? :-)

As long as a shooter can "see" the 180, I couldn't care less what there vision is. As far as ROs go, I figure if they are not tripping over stuff they can see well enough to make sure safety rules are followed...

This.

He can be shooting at blurs, and still know which way is the safe-shooting area. I'd like to think my score will be higher, though.

20/100 is measured at 20 feet. My front sight is significantly closer than that. As we age, many of us will need to decide what distance we want to be corrected to. If you're corrected to the front sight, a point 20 feet away may very well be blurry. How would this be unsafe?

20/100 is measured at 20 feet. My front sight is significantly closer than that. As we age, many of us will need to decide what distance we want to be corrected to. If you're corrected to the front sight, a point 20 feet away may very well be blurry. How would this be unsafe?

Person downrange would come to mind -- or someone coming over the berm. Hopefully the other eye isn't set for front sight focus as well....

If I'm actually watching the front sight, anything off the front sight's focal plane is going to look like garbage and my visual acuity doesn't matter. Luckily I only watch the front sight like 40% of the time.

Edited by thermobollocks

as long as a shooter knows which way to POINT the gun I could care less what he can or cannot see beyond his muzzle, that's his problem not mine. the more interesting question is about RO visual acuity since they are responsible for safety and must be able to see lots of things, including what's going on downrange beyond the gun.

What do you think would happen if HQ set a minimum acuity standard for ROs?

Well, I think good vision is required for a range officer. You want an RO scoring your hits, with overlays, while his reading glasses are back in his truck? :surprise:

That's why you have the scorekeeper hold the overlay and the RO hang back until it comes into focus :D

• 2 weeks later...

Given the OP's screen name, I find this thread somewhat ironic. :D

6.4.4 An individual may be barred from participating in a USPSA match, at the match director’s discretion, if the person:
a. has demonstrated an inability to safely complete courses of fire, or
b. has demonstrated behavior which would or may disrupt the match, or which would bring disrepute to the sport.

6.4.5 A Match Director enforcing Rule 6.4.4 must submit a detailed report to USPSA within seven days of the occurrence.

It' a judgement call that has to be made by the MD as to whether or not a shooter can safely complete the course of fire.

Given the OP's screen name, I find this thread somewhat ironic. :D

6.4.4 An individual may be barred from participating in a USPSA match, at the match directors discretion, if the person:

a. has demonstrated an inability to safely complete courses of fire, or

b. has demonstrated behavior which would or may disrupt the match, or which would bring disrepute to the sport.

6.4.5 A Match Director enforcing Rule 6.4.4 must submit a detailed report to USPSA within seven days of the occurrence.

It' a judgement call that has to be made by the MD as to whether or not a shooter can safely complete the course of fire.

Youngeyes is just drumming up business. ;-)

i believe this is going to be self regulating.Those of us who have Grandpa eyes are driving our optometrist nuts trying to figure out correction at front sight distance.I would suspect the ability

to " run " thru a course of fire is going to root out more than eyesight.

• 2 weeks later...

Really? When your focus is on the front sight, the targets are blurred anyway. Do you want to require eyes that can focus on two distances simultaneously? I wear distance Rx to drive. When I shoot, seeing a blurry target is just fine, so no Rx to shoot. Sounds like somebody got beat by some old dude with bad eyes. :-)

Heck, poor vision is a common reason I hear for jumping to Open.

Edited by NewColonial