Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

red dot

rmj339

Probably has a lot to do with durability/reliability of the slide mounted optics. Competition shooters can put well over a thousand rounds a month through their guns and I'm not sure the current crop of slide mounted red dots can take the abuse (except maybe the Trijicon RMR). A frame mounted C-More doesn't take the same kind of pounding.

C-More also gives a lot more variety with dot size and interchangeable diodes.

Edited by tyler2you

The CMore Slide Ride mounted horizontally to the frame puts the dot closest to the bore, with a big lens, durable body at a price ~$100 less than the micro dots.

IMG_20130427_184200_400_zps070de4ed.jpg

Most of my Open guns are setup this way, although I did recently get my hands on an RTS2 to try out on my Tanfoglio:

IMG_20150629_211737046_zpshoojxmna.jpg

The sight and mount weigh 2.6oz less, no left side blind spot and put the glass ~1/2" further back which seem to be good trade offs for having the dot ~1/4" higher off the bore. I haven't shot it yet, but I'm sure I'll be posting all about it.

C-Mores work. All though the STS has had plenty of problems. Look at what the top shooters shoot. There is a reason, and reliability is at the top. You can't win if you sight does not work !!!!!!!!!!

I recently went back to a slide ride on 2 open guns. I tried the RTS2 and even though I did not have any issues, I could not get out of the back of mind what if goes out during a match. Then having to send it back and wait. Also I like being able to change the dot size and the brightness is much better.

I have 3 Burris Fast Fire IIIs. All have worked flawlessly for four years. I have not even replaced the batteries and I shoot a minimum of 3x a week year round. One is frame mounted and two are slide rides all on open guns and none have lost zero or ever hinted at failure.

A buddy has a HUGE C-More (slide ride) on his 38 super and the C-More has developed cracks in the frame (twice). Just sayin' that the FF IIIs work too.

I have 3 Burris Fast Fire IIIs. All have worked flawlessly for four years. I have not even replaced the batteries and I shoot a minimum of 3x a week year round. One is frame mounted and two are slide rides all on open guns and none have lost zero or ever hinted at failure.

A buddy has a HUGE C-More (slide ride) on his 38 super and the C-More has developed cracks in the frame (twice). Just sayin' that the FF IIIs work too.

I am just beginning to get into the red dot/reflex dots on pistols game, and I'm quickly seeing that all of them can and will fail. If you look hard enough you'll find good and bad reviews on them all - including the one that's supposed to be the best of all, the RMR.

I have a C-More Railway (Frame Mounted) , Fast Fire III (Slide Mounted), EOTECH XPS 2-0 (Bridge Mounted) and Redfield CounterStrike (mounted on a Tavor).

The larger size of the C-More (glass not moa) allows me to keep the red-dot somewhere in the glass when running and gunning.

The Fast Fire III, although very durable (3,000+ rounds on the slide of a 40sw) disappears while running and gunning and causes me wasted seconds trying to re-acquire it. Usually a lateral flip of the gun finds it, but at times the lateral flip evolves into a vertical flip before I can find it. The slide mount (not FF III issue) also has me waiting for the slide to return (or so I think) and is a psychological distraction.

The EOTECH is bridge mounted on a Sig P229 and has a 65 moa and 1 moa dot in circle and is the fastest (and heaviest) reddot I have. It is always in the glass (65 moa) so pinpointing the focus is just subconscious and natural.

The Redfield CounterStrike is a fine for Close Qtr acquisition (not competition). Has Red/Green Dot and laser and works with a Tavor since the front Iron Sight is flush with rail and doesn't block the laser, AR folks experience the laser being block by the front sight.

If I could have the C-More with the XPS 2.0 reticle set-up, I would be extremely happy.

Edited by Austin111

I just started shooting open division this year, so the red dot is a new experience for me. Still not used to it, but I'm getting there. I have a C-More and love it. Simple. Durable. Reliable. Everything I would want in a dot.

The Cmores have been around the longest and just plain work. The only problems I've had is the switch needing replacement and I had a cracked body one time. The MRDs are really cool but have had too many reliability problems. I do have some but they are only used for experimentation or on .22 SC guns.

Sent from the range

I used a Deltapoint for 2 years, never had to re-zero, one battery change. This year I went to a C-More on a new gun, the old gun sits in the safe. To me the target is much clearer and easier to acquire with the CMore (I just wish it had an "auto off" feature)

• 2 weeks later...

The CMore Slide Ride mounted horizontally to the frame puts the dot closest to the bore, with a big lens, durable body at a price ~$100 less than the micro dots.

IMG_20130427_184200_400_zps070de4ed.jpg

Most of my Open guns are setup this way, although I did recently get my hands on an RTS2 to try out on my Tanfoglio:

IMG_20150629_211737046_zpshoojxmna.jpg

The sight and mount weigh 2.6oz less, no left side blind spot and put the glass ~1/2" further back which seem to be good trade offs for having the dot ~1/4" higher off the bore. I haven't shot it yet, but I'm sure I'll be posting all about it.

Anyone have comments on the rts2 vs sts?