Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I jump into Open or Limited?

A little background: I started shooting competitively about a year ago. After sticking with IDPA and a couple outlaw multi-gun matches, I just recently took the plunge into USPSA, have shot 3 matches and love it. I've been using my IDPA ESP gun (CZ 75 Shadow SA) to shoot Limited Minor, but a Tanfoglio Limited fell into my lap a little while back and I built it up into a Limited Major gun. Long story short, the Tanfo is up for sale and I'm picking out a new gun. I've got about $3600 in my gun fund right now, not counting what I might get for the Tanfo.

In your opinion, should jump into the deep end and buy an Open gun, or should I stick with Limited and buy a new Major gun?

Thanks!

Edit: Well.....I guess I started this thread too soon. I just stumbled across what appears to be a good deal on a practically new STI Edge, so I'm going to buy it. Wish me luck in Limited!

Edited by TennJeep1618

It depends. If you reload and have the necessary ingredients I would go with open. If however you are using factory ammo, stick with limited.

I'm already setup to load 9mm and .40 on my 650. If I went with 38 Super, I'd have to purchase the required equipment.

If you try open, you might enjoy it. It's quite a different feeling shooting an open gun than a limited gun. That said, I haven't competed in open yet, just shot it for fun at the range.

Thanks, guys. I decided to keep my Tanfo, at least for the time being, until I can figure out the feeding problem. I'll compare it side-by-side with the STI and figure out which one I want to stick with. I'm not ruling out Open in the future, but I think I need to refine my skills a little in limited before I move up. As much as I'd love to shoot a completely tricked out gun, I'm fairly certain it would end up covering up some of my weaknesses.

Everyone thinks open is just this easy transition,

It is a different ballgame in many ways in the same park with the same rules. Until you adjust your "mindset" you get your butt kicked

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This thread is long overdue for an update by me. I wasn't really thrilled by the Edge, so I bought an SV I found a good deal on. I ran it for a little while, then decided to get an Open gun. I never shot it in a match and after a couple months, I decided to go back to production. I just sold my SV and Open gun and I've got a couple CZ's on the way.

Sorry you didn't like limited or open. Open doesn't interest me yet, but maybe one day. Have a great time in production, I certainly do. How did you settle on CZs for production?

I enjoyed shooting Limited, but I didn't immediately fall in love with Open like I thought I would. I picked up my CZ 75 Shadow SA (IDPA ESP gun) recently for the first time in months and remembered how much I love the small frame CZ's. That's one of the reasons I decided to go back to Production/SSP and the logical step was to get a CZ suited for those divisions.

Edited by TennJeep1618

Sorry you didn't like limited or open. Open doesn't interest me yet, but maybe one day. Have a great time in production, I certainly do. How did you settle on CZs for production?

I enjoyed shooting Limited, but I didn't immediately fall in love with Open like I thought I would. I picked up my CZ 75 Shadow SA (IDPA ESP gun) recently for the first time in months and remembered how much I love the small frame CZ's. That's one of the reasons I decided to go back to Production/SSP and the logical step was to get a CZ suited for those divisions.

Have you tried limited-10? Honestly, I like the idea of reloading... I understand that production is the same thing. However, it takes the gun confusion out of the equation.

Have you tried limited-10? Honestly, I like the idea of reloading... I understand that production is the same thing. However, it takes the gun confusion out of the equation.
Honestly, I don't see the point in L-10 and practically no one around here shoots it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk