Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to reloading, what to buy besides the press?

Southpaw

Hi all, I'm finally ready to make the jump into reloading. I'm trying to figure out exactly what I need to buy to get set up and where to get it all from. I conveniently live close to Dillon so can easily pick up the press (550) from there. What I'm trying to do is make a list of everything else I need besides the press, dies, toolheads, etc. and figure out which models of each item to get.

I could buy all this stuff from Dillon, but I know there are cheaper alternatives available online from Midway, etc., but not sure which of the items are worth spending the extra money on and buying from Dillon and which I'm safe to buy elsewhere.

I think this might be a list of everything else I need. Please let me know what I'm missing and would greatly appreciate advice as far as what brands/models to look at for all of the larger purchase items.

Tumbler

Media separator

Powder scale

Case gages

Primer flip tray

Primer pick up tubes

Bullet puller

Reloading manual

Tumbler media

Case polish

Case lube

(already have calipers)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I can think of is instead of a media separator get case sorting bowls, use the 9mm bowl to shake out the media, and get a brass broom type tool, you won't mind picking up brass by hand till you get one, then you wish you did earlier

You'll need a chrono - as little as $70-$100 extra.

You can usually save some money on anything to do with

cleaning your brass ...

Case gauges are personally optional - I don't use one - I

use the chamber of my barrel. But, others love gauges. :cheers:

Buy a square shaped flip tray. Every carton of primers is in a square shape and it's easier to put a square peg in a square hole :) also a big funnel is handy for powder. I think I bought mine at walmart or auto zone. I like my cause gauges but if you're trimming fat you can do without. I love my CED M2 chrono and without one you're really working without a net... definitely worth it to get one as soon as possible... I'd say Jack's right and it's pretty mandatory to own or have available.

Buckets, plenty of buckets. I got a set of calibre sorters, the ones that you put in a bucket and shake it around. I use that for my media separator since it is much easier to just rattle it round and pour it back into the tumbler. Having spare buckets makes sorting much easier too.

Any reason you are set on the 550? Quite a few people I know usually outgrow it and jump to the 650 as soon as their wallets allow.

Thanks all for the replies! Yes I forgot to mention the chrono. I need to ask at the range if I can get access to theirs, otherwise I'll definitely buy one. Any recommendations on which chrono to buy as well as the tumbler and powder scale? Or which to avoid?

And good point on saving some cash at least initially and skipping the case gage. I'm fine with using a barrel at least for now.

Also forgot to mention ammo containers, already have plenty of ammo cans and some of those MTM boxes, but will need to get a few more.

Lee factory crimp die! It has a built in chamber checker and besides, taper crimping sucks.

I know nothing about reloading. What's the differences and advantages to this over the regular Dillon crimp die?

Buckets, plenty of buckets. I got a set of calibre sorters, the ones that you put in a bucket and shake it around. I use that for my media separator since it is much easier to just rattle it round and pour it back into the tumbler. Having spare buckets makes sorting much easier too.

Any reason you are set on the 550? Quite a few people I know usually outgrow it and jump to the 650 as soon as their wallets allow.

Good idea on using the case sorter buckets for the media separator!

I was planning on getting the 550 for a few reasons. First off every single person at Dillon strongly recommended I get the 550, including those that are fellow USPSA shooters. I also don't shoot as much as some of you, only around 500 rounds a month. Also like how easy it is to change calibers on the 550 (not sure how hard it is on the 650, but I hear it's a PIA?) since I often switch off between shooting 9mm and .40, and will probably wind up reloading a few other calibers as well. And of course there's the cost, how much more would it be to get a 650 fully set up vs. a 550 (obviously I'd want a case feeder if I got the 650).

Buy a square shaped flip tray. Every carton of primers is in a square shape and it's easier to put a square peg in a square hole :)

Good tip!

You mention case gauges, but not dies. Since you said "gauges" plural, I assume you're going to load multiple calibers...so you'll need caliber conversions, and for pistol, one extra tool head per caliber (so you can leave the dies setup in a dedicated tool head). For rifle, you'd generally want 2 tool heads per caliber.

If you only shoot 500 rounds a month just get a Lee Classic Turret press. They are just over $100, and once you get use to it and know what you are doing you can do 300 rounds an hour of pistol.

I started with the lee turret and keep thinking about moving up to a Dillion. But the lee turret has worked so well that I have a hard time switching and justifying the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much slower is a 550 with a case feeder than a 650? I'm not planning on getting a case feeder right away, but could add it if I wanted and I would mostly be reloading pistol ammo. I know you can add a bullet feeder to the 650 which would speed it up...

You mention case gauges, but not dies. Since you said "gauges" plural, I assume you're going to load multiple calibers...so you'll need caliber conversions, and for pistol, one extra tool head per caliber (so you can leave the dies setup in a dedicated tool head). For rifle, you'd generally want 2 tool heads per caliber.

I meant to cover all that when I was asking what else I needed besides the "press, dies, toolheads, etc.". I was assuming I'd buy pretty much everything that actually attaches to the press from Dillon. Or should I consider non-Dillon dies or other parts? Thinking about buying the press tomorrow so let me know ASAP :)

I was mostly looking at where I could save money on all the other accessories I needed. For example a powder scale from Dillon is I think around $150 and Midway has some for $35...

500 rounds a month is not much, is that number ever going to increase? I think about reloading machines no much like I do as gun safes. Buy it in the capacity of what you want not what you currently have. You will get the use out of a 650. Hell I love having the auto index on my 650.

And when you are done with all the components, get yourself a good reloading manual like Lyman's 49th, a good fire extinguisher and a really good pair of safety glasses....want to make sure we can read Lyman's next version when published.

pay once cry once ....

get the Dillion 650 ..... you're going to end up there anyway .... you'll be very glad you did .....

Agreed, but he wont listen to me.

Spend the extra $127 dollars and get the better machine.

So why has every single employee at Dillon that I've spoken with recommend the 550 over the 650? This is even coming from guys there who also shoot USPSA.

How much harder is it to change calibers on the 650? Also I have no time on either press so don't really get why the auto indexing is so great. Can't you rotate the shell plate while placing the bullet on? I understand it would be bad if you forgot to rotate the shell plate, but I really don't think I'd make such a huge mistake and not catch it.

I am still waiting for someone to explain the Dillon employee's preference for the 550. I have the 550 and run 2K a month-run 6 calibers and find 550 at 300 rounds an hour OK.

Changeover with dedicated tool heads for each caliber reduces the changeover to less than 30 minutes including cleaning and lubs.