Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup not throwing consistent

Ctbreitwieser

I've always had troubles throwing titegroup through my powder measure, but everyone else always praises it about how consistent they throw it. I'm very hesitant to use it through my measure because I've already had one KB in my transferable M11/9 that ended in welding it back together. My load then was 3.4gr of TG under Berrys 147 RN. I'd really like to use it since I have 4lbs of it and around 3000 Xtreme 147s now. I just came upstairs from trying it again and here was my weights in the order I threw them. They were measured on an RCBS 5-0-5 scale.

Is this normal? I feel like that is very inconsistent and actually quite dangerous considering the safe margins for titegroup are very narrow.

Also, when I dump it back in the can it sticks to the inside of the measure something awful. It's almost impossible to clean it all out. Here's the measure after I dumped it back in the can.

60E0D45C-F730-4118-9E51-72643366A7AC_zps

Am I doing something wrong?

Titegroup has always been very consistent for me. I would look into your static cling issue throuout your powder measure. Maybe wipe everything down with a dryer sheet. Make sure there are no burrs or anything for powder to hang up on.

I have run TiteGroup out of a Dillon SQD for 16 years and never, ever, had an issue. It always throws +/- .1 grains. Neither does the powder stick to the inside of the hopper. And I doubt you KaBoomed your gun because of a variance of .5 grains of TiteGroup, that is not enough. Now if you had a bullet setback issue, oh yeah, blow the hell out of it. A .10" setback will double the pressure. Do you remember what your overall length was for the loads?

I have run TiteGroup out of a Dillon SQD for 16 years and never, ever, had an issue. It always throws +/- .1 grains. Neither does the powder stick to the inside of the hopper. And I doubt you KaBoomed your gun because of a variance of .5 grains of TiteGroup, that is not enough. Now if you had a bullet setback issue, oh yeah, blow the hell out of it. A .10" setback will double the pressure. Do you remember what your overall length was for the loads?

My overall length for that load was 1.14. My current load is 4.2gr of Power Pistol with Xtreme 147s at 1.165. I've run over 1000 of the current loads with no issues, but their accuracy is lacking out of my XDm.

I'm not saying the KB was due to too much powder, but it does make me more hesitant to shoot the TG loads through the MG.

Eta: the one that blew was the 198th of 200 rds I had loaded. Not that it really matters though I'm sure.

Edited by Ctbreitwieser

Something I learned from the hoity toity types at my club which seems to make sense is to keep the powder measure full to the top, topping it off every time it drops an inch or two. That way there's a consistent amount of weight pushing the powder down all the time thus dispensing charges more consistently.

Something I learned from the hoity toity types at my club which seems to make sense is to keep the powder measure full to the top, topping it off every time it drops an inch or two. That way there's a consistent amount of weight pushing the powder down all the time thus dispensing charges more consistently.

I did a lot of testing on this.. I found in the Dillon measure, that even if the charge got below the baffles, the actual charge never changed

eta - actually - i didn't get changes until there wan't enough powder left to throw a full charge. and this is on an unaltered dillon measure. this may vary from power to power, but titegroup, never a variation. so i usually let th power get close to the baffles before i fill it back up.

you probably want to do your own testing.. before doing this

Edited by D.Hayden

Maybe I need to just get a Dillon SD and be done with it. Feeding an SMG and competetion gun with a single stage sucks anyways.

Thanks everyone for your help. My friend actually has an RCBS measure he doesn't use. Maybe I'll try that out and see if it throws any better then my Hornady.

I do the same thing in my LnL and you can wrap a dryer sheet around the hopper with rubber bands. I've been able to get more consistent drops since keeping it full. Also, make sure that your dies and powder drop are clean occasionally

Edited by racnsoonr

Looks like you have a problem with static electricity, from all the powder that is sticking to the insides of your powder measure. Where you reload must be very dry. That might account for variations. But also, if there is so much static electricity, and you're using a balance beam scale, it will throw off the scale. So in a sense, your powder measure may be fine, but it's your scale that's giving you different readings.

And as a final check, you must be consistent in how hard you raise and lower the handle of your powder measure. Banging it hard at both the top and bottom strokes, will give much different throws than gently touching the end strokes.

I get consistent throws with titegroup, +/- .05 grains. I try to be very consistent with the way I raise and lower than handle of the powder measure.

You have a pretty major static issue. Use a drier sheet as others have suggested. It works. I store my drop with a drier sheet in it, and I dont leave powder in the drop for any longer than Im loading.

I also use a Hornady drop with Titegroup, weigh with a 505, and its right on, even when dropping 10 into a pan and checking average. Switching to a Dillon drop isnt going to solve your issue. I see you are using the baffle, so unless your scratching the bottom of the drop (ie: almost empty) you will get a consistent pressure on the drop weight whether its full of 1/2 full.

Titegroup is a powder that you have to be careful with as Im sure you know. 3.4gr is right at the top end of what I would load with 147s, so .1 or .2gr at the upper end of the load range can cause issues. Your M11 likely blew up because of a double charge, not being .2 or .3gr heavy, if you were at 3.4gr.

Accuracy issues with your XDM are unrelated. In your case I would load for each gun seperately. Build a load for the XDM and set OAL to plunk depth. Do the same with the M9. However its likely the M9 will shoot the load that is set for a XDM just fine, so I would load specifically for the XDM, and test these loads in the M9. If it doesnt work, load separately for each gun.

I use TG in the same powder measure and have very consistent drops.

I would thoroughly clean the measure then use a drier sheet to wipe everything down inside and out.

After I empty powder I use a drier sheet to clean out the hopper every time.

Never had an issue with the powder measure.

I clean mine with alcohol on least abrasive cloth I can find. And then gently rub it with dryer sheets once it dries.

While the powder still clings, it isn't as bad as pictured. That said, I only use Dillon powder drops as I have Dillon machines.

Well some guys on another forum told me to try the pistol rotor for the Hornady measure. Apparently there's a seperate one for rifle and pistol. All the reviews I've read are very good, and it seems my problem is common with those using the rifle rotor. Ordered a micrometer adjust for it as well since my rifle one won't fit in it. Looking forward to seeing if it helps. I'll also give it a cleaning and wipe it down with dryer sheets.

Also check the chrome tube piece that screws into the bottom of the powder drop occasionally. I've had mine come loose and throw odd drops. Make sure your powder station doesn't work loose. That's happened a time or two as well. I occasionally just make sure it's snug every 100 rounds or so

Well some guys on another forum told me to try the pistol rotor for the Hornady measure. Apparently there's a seperate one for rifle and pistol. All the reviews I've read are very good, and it seems my problem is common with those using the rifle rotor. Ordered a micrometer adjust for it as well since my rifle one won't fit in it. Looking forward to seeing if it helps. I'll also give it a cleaning and wipe it down with dryer sheets.

yes, this will help, I also suffer from the static issue. When empty i stick a dryer sheet inside the tube and just store it that way.

The pistol rotor will help tremendously. I also cut the the clear plastic front cover from a report cover and slide it in the tube before pouring the powder in. This does 2 things for me; one it does not seem to have the static problems the factory hornady tube has and nothing sticks to it, second, it keeps the tube from discoloring. Titegroup seems to really eat at the hornady tube.

I've done a bit of loading recently with titegroup and noticed it clumping when pouring it into the hopper.

I have noticed this only recently, I've used probably 50-60 pounds of titegroup and never saw this phenomenon till I opened a 4 pounder recently. Pouring into the hopper it was coming out in big clumps.

I emptied it back into the jug and shook it hard, and now make sure the jug gets a good shake to loosen stuff up before it goes in....

As I was reading this thread I wanted to say that you need the pistol drum for your powder measure. This is the same with the RCBS Uniflow, you need to purchase the pistol drum. When you get your drum, you will notice a difference and will come to love the consist drops you get with titegroup.

I have both the Hornady and the RCBS powder drops and have the pistol drums for both. The Hornady drums and micrometer measure and even an extra lower half of the powder drop is less expensive than the RCBS. Oddly enough, the Hornady LNL progressive press comes with both the rifle and pistol drums. If you are using the drop with a case activated lower assembly and you want one for each caliber you load (so you don't have to adjust it when changing calibers) then Hornady is much less expensive than RCBS.