Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

90 degree C-More question

JAF1680

I am having a few malfunctions and after reading a lot of other peoples posts a 90 degree mount looks like the solution. I will be putting the mount on my Sti Steelmaster. Should I get a normal 90 degree mount or the set back mount? With the shorter gun I was thinking the set back mount will get the optic further from the comp but wanted some advice.

Malfunctions can be caused by many things (springs, oal, pf, etc etc etc.

90 Mount might help a little, but finding and solving the cause of the

mlfntns isn't all that hard.

I believe most M's and GM's leave their sights up high - and don't bend

them down 90 degrees.

I went thru a year of malfunctions and whenever I shot with the guy who

invented the 90 degree mount, he would use each mlfnctn to remind me

that I should use one of his mounts.

After I found that all the mlfntns were caused by one of my four magazines,

and corrected the springs, I never have a mlfnctn (unless a spring wears

out).

There are other advantages and disadvantages to the sideways mounts -

but I wouldn't include solving the mlfnctns as one of them. :cheers:

I have a steelmaster that would stovepipe with an upright mount(even sent it back to sti, played with ext/eject, installed an aftec). Tried a 90 and removed it immediately. It was not for me. I installed a cheely offset mount and have yet to have a problem. you don't even notice the offset.

Edited by echotango

Love my 90 degree on my Open gun, the real benefit besides the obvious which is not having to tune extraction patterns is that when I go back and shoot Limited my muscle memory stays the same on my draws. The sights on both my Open and Limited pistols are essentially the same height when mounting the Cmore at 90 degrees. I have the DAA on my 38 super STI competitor and my cmore lens barely gets any powder residue on it. If it were me I would try the set back mount due to the shorter barrel on the Steelmaster. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

I went to a 90 after having problems with even Matt's offset mount. I'm glad I did as the dot is much easier to find for me besides never having ejection issues. It's ugly but it works.

Make sure your problem can be solved with the mount change. My Steel master had issues with brass getting caught between the slide and the bottom of the mount as I was using light loads for Steel Challenge. Switching to a 90 deg. solved it. I chose a setback design and have has zero issues.

I also have a STI Steel master that I changed to a 90-degree Cheely setback mount. I love it for all the reasons already mentioned: dot close to bore axis, improved balance point, and no chance of bouncing brass into the port. I have the Alchin thumb rest moved onto the Cheely mount and I am happy as can be, a great setup.

Hello: Use the Cheely setback mount. It moves the weight further back, more into your hand. It also changes the pivot point to be more central as well. A left side racker can be installed with the setback racker also. Thanks, Eric

What slide racker do you use? I'm getting ready to have a open gun built and would like to use a Cheely 90 degree offset mount. But I want the slide racker in the left side. Also want a racker with a detent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an STI Steelmaster that I started to have ejection issues with. i simply played around with my load a bit and the issues disappeared instantly and have never been back. I tried shooting a 90 deg once & it was way too distracting for me .... I also don't like the look of the gun with a 90 deg mount ... I kind of equate it to those silly looking little boxes that some shooters run around with on top of their heads ... :)

Hello: Use the Cheely setback mount. It moves the weight further back, more into your hand. It also changes the pivot point to be more central as well. A left side racker can be installed with the setback racker also. Thanks, Eric

What slide racker do you use? I'm getting ready to have a open gun built and would like to use a Cheely 90 degree offset mount. But I want the slide racker in the left side. Also want a racker with a detent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello: I have used both the Shooters Connection with a ball detent installed in the slide and the Brazos Zig racker. You will have to bend the Shooters Connection racker by heating it up and bending it down. The Zig racker you can grind it to clear the C-More. Having used both I like the Shooters Connection one that I mod a little bit more. I'll see if I can find the pics of them both installed. Thanks, Eric

If you look up the article "Ejection Perfection" from Bob Brazos and it has some really great detail on tuning the ejector and extractor. I was having lots of issues with a recently acquired used open gun with an old school standard mount. Once I tuned the extractor and ejector per the instructions given in the article they went away.

• 4 weeks later...