Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which is more accurate?

9x45

Theoretically, if the unpolished brass has a uniformed coating, the unpolished brass would be more accurate since there is less deviation between rounds. Polished brass will feed more reliably.

Assuming you are shooting USPSA (9MM), the distances shot on a typical stage, I would hazard a guess that the difference in accuracy would be miniscule. If you were shooting benchrest or long range there might be some difference due to neck tension and release of the bullet.

I think we're chasing unicorns here.

If you're serious and wanting to believe your $$$ wet tumbled, hand dried by baby diaper or dehydrator brass is somehow 'better,' well - some would say it cleans so well that it removes any traces of carbon inside the brass, which may actually impact bullet tension/release in a negative way. At least that's the claim for some rifle BR shooters.

Walnut + Nu-finish is just fine, but do what makes ya happy. :)

I may be the only person that has experienced this but, 9mm brass that has been tumbled in SS media sticks severely on my Dillon powder funnel. Polished the funnel, bought a new funnel polished it, tried running the brass through corncob and still have the problem. No more SS polished brass for me. The worst was RP brass which is thick but Win drags pretty bad also. Dillon says this a common problem with SS media.

Humm, those bullets look exactly like mine, are those mine?

:)

Well, in terms of accuracy for a pistol round, I would bet, that you won´t find a difference in accuracy at all.

But the dirty cases might do more to your pistol´s chamber and your reloading machine (dies) after having shot and loaded a bunch of them (I guess).

If they affect anything at all in the end, I only could imagine, that the grind on it works like a fine paste?

Edited by jayjay1

I think we're chasing unicorns here.

If you're serious and wanting to believe your $$$ wet tumbled, hand dried by baby diaper or dehydrator brass is somehow 'better,' well - some would say it cleans so well that it removes any traces of carbon inside the brass, which may actually impact bullet tension/release in a negative way. At least that's the claim for some rifle BR shooters.

Walnut + Nu-finish is just fine, but do what makes ya happy. :)

Ha! The first to spot the unicorn! Actually I got 10lbs of that super amazingly clean brass in a trade for once fired indoor 40S&W. Normally I trade by equal volume, but that stuff was so amazing I gave him equal piece count, and wouldn't mind getting more of it because I don't have to do any of the work, not to mention a roll sizer is really expensive. I have used walnut (loaded with mineral oil) followed by corn ( loaded with NuFinish) for decades.... And the nasty looking brass runs just fine.,

Edited by 9x45

A while back a friend changed up how he polished his brass. He showed me how much brighter and shinier his brass had become.

A short time later, he made the jump from B class to A class.

Of course he also increased his practice routine and shot more local matches, but I'm sure that brass was also a significant contributor to his success.

Bill

snip... hand dried by baby diaper or dehydrator brass is somehow 'better,'...snip

It's summer, just throw your media separator on top of your house's AC unit. Collect brass in 20-30 min.

Edited by SV650Squid

A while back a friend changed up how he polished his brass. He showed me how much brighter and shinier his brass had become.

A short time later, he made the jump from B class to A class.

Of course he also increased his practice routine and shot more local matches, but I'm sure that brass was also a significant contributor to his success.

Bill

Of Course! That shiny brass made the .5% jump to A! Well, OK, practiced the fundamentals too, yea.

I doubt you or anyone else can shoot the difference in a pistol, coming from the world of precision rifle uber clean brass does not shoot as good as brass that clean on the outside and just the carbon brushed out of the neck