Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

11.5 Main Spring

W_Buck

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm running the CGW 11.5 hammer spring, running Freedom Munitions 124gr new and reman, haven't had any issues with light strikes. Which is more than I can say for my two small frame stock IIIs, I'm still trying to troubleshoot them. :)

Yeah. I run mainly CCI primers and don't want to have to switch if I can help it. I tried the 11.5 in the past and had light strikes, but that was with the CZ Custom extended firing pin and spring. I wonder if the CGW firing pin will fix that?

I got light strikes on CCI primers with the 11.5lb spring in a 75B, all internal parts polished and just about everything that CGW makes installed. Once I switched to Federal primers, I put the 11.5lb spring back in and didn't have any trouble.

Now that I have a 75 Shadow SA, I was able to go down to an 8.5lb spring and still have no troubles with Federal primers.

Yeah, I'm running the CGW 11.5 hammer spring, running Freedom Munitions 124gr new and reman, haven't had any issues with light strikes. Which is more than I can say for my two small frame stock IIIs, I'm still trying to troubleshoot them. :)

In my SP-01 with CGW extended firing pin and 11.5 hammer spring the Freedom Munitions 124 gr New is the only ammo I have light strikes with. After a recent install of a hand fitted Type 1 disco I headed to the back yard with 2 full mags: one FM124 and the other loaded with PMC 115gr. PMC was flawless. I had 4-5 light strikes with FM and one took a third trigger pull to ignite. It has caused me to move the Freedom to range use only.

I am running an 11.5# mainspring, and 1 coil cut on the FPS on an otherwise unmodified 91030. I get about 1 light strike failure per 300 rounds with CCI primers.. Cutting the coil didn't seem to have effect on light strikes. It seems to be a little better if I run some brake cleaner down the firing pin channel and swap with a pipe cleaner. I'm shooting Federal at matches.

I have at least 1k of Federal, CCI, Magtec, S&B, Remington and Winchester. I'm going to run them all for 100 rounds with the 11.5# spring. Any that have 1 or less light strike for the hundred go to round 2. Round 2 will be 50 rounds with an 8.5# spring. Any with one or less light strikes in 50, get to run for a bunch more at 8.5# to try to get some differentiation. I'm hoping to get a clear order of which is most reliable in a lightly sprung gun. I'll publish data here and on the czfirearms.us forum.

BTW, I'm not happy with Magtec. They don't feed well in a Vibra-prime turning plate.

Edited by Smitty79

Out of 2000 rounds with federal primers and the 8.5 spring it's been 100%. I also use cci primers for my practice rounds and get about 1 light strike per 150 rounds.

Using the 8.5 lb CGW main spring, CZ Custom extended firing pin, and CGW reduced power FP spring. Pistol has issues with Tula and Wolf primers. Federal, Remington, CCI, and Winchester seem fine. All must be seated slightly deeper than with stock 13 lb. main springs.

I have an 11.5 in my SP-01. I had about 1 in 300 Federal primers fail. Switched to CCI and have about 1 in 100 fail. I'm going to do some more polishing before my next range trip, but I may have to switch to the 13lb spring.

I remember from prior experience that there wasn't a huge difference in DA pull weight between the 13lb and 11.5lb. I'm willing to try it again, but 0% light strikes is the only acceptable amount for me. I'll report back on it once I get the spring and some range time.

I too use a 11.5lb spring in both a 75SA and a SP01. I do have a CGW extended firing pin in both and use CCI primers and have shot thousands and have had no failures. I have not used the 8lb spring though.

I too use a 11.5lb spring in both a 75SA and a SP01. I do have a CGW extended firing pin in both and use CCI primers and have shot thousands and have had no failures. I have not used the 8lb spring though.

This is what I'm hoping for...