Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How well do you drive?

Sam

First off, my taxes and toll money are paying for the entire damn road, so I am going to use the entire thing. 2nd, I learned how to drive by dropping my father off at O'Hare airport starting the day after I got my permit. Lastely, I will again state the fact that there is a large difference between being a good technical driver, and staying within the stupid "Rules of the Road."

If no one is is sight, I should be allowed to crank the V-Max up to 135 whenever the heck I want to.

Top Speed 167 MPH

Craziest move:

2 lane road in Africa, wide dirt shoulders :huh: , a paved road tho, lots of trucks are in front of me. Decide to pass the whole lot of them, about 20 all together. Have it floored, going about 155 mph and see a small hill coming up. have about 5 more to pass, but the hill is coming up fast at that speed. Uh oh, here comes a truck in the opposite direction, no where to go, so.....

I pull on the opposite side shoulder and keep it floored, let the truck pass in the middle, pull back out, continue passing the remainder of the cars/ trucks and pull back into lane!!!!

My two passengers were both impressed :D and unimpressed :o at the SAME time!!!!

I thought it was VERY quick thinking in a difficult situation.

Edited to add:

I am an adrenaline JUNKIE!!! :wacko:

Too bad we can't switch those radio buttons to check-boxes... and add a few more. I can't quite decide which is best for me..... I can relate a little to the one about creating new terrain or roadside features... :lol:

I am an excellent driver! (My offroad parking skills however, leave a little something to be desired. Quit laughing, Chriss! :LOL :LOL)

Back when we were still covering a lot of spot news, most cop desk reporters were terrified to get in a car with me ---- they just couldn't grasp the concept of getting to the scene in time to make a picture. After all if they got there too late, they could still write a story......

zhunter

you had three other people on a motorcycle?????  What were you driving to reach 167mph..... :ph34r:

The top speed of 167 and the detailed story are not the same "incident"

I was in Germany driving 167 MPH, but had passengers then too. My former caddie HATED traveling with me, but he price was right, and he got there FAST!!!

But, to answer your question, I was driving a BMW 750iL for the 167 MPH

Am I supposed to answer what I THINK - or - what my WIFE THINKS??

Lots of ground in between.... ;)

Merlin, I believe that would be 2 entirely different posts. Wait a minute, that might me 2 entirely different threads!!!! :wacko:

Now I think I can answer the original question. So far, over 50% of the respondents checked "all of the above".

I'm an average driver. :lol:

I'm wondering if BE has voted yet. (I recall reading about the rental car incident).

I'm an occasional autocrosser, and those trips to the track have seriously improved my driving ability.

And, like every other American male, we all do 3 things better than anyone else - innately:

1. shoot

2. drive

3. make love

After taking mulitple shooting classes, I came to find out I really did not know how to shoot at one time. :o

After taking a few driving classes, I came to find out I really didn't know how to drive at one time. :o

It surely is leaving me wondering about #3. :lol:

bountyhunter has the right idea.

Also, since the world obviously revolves around ME, I typically treat traffic laws as suggestions, although this mostly applies to the speed limit suggestion. My radar detector helps out a lot too.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first speeding ticket 3 months after getting my licence.

I was driving a 1956 Morris Minor 950cc side valve. Down hill at 70MPH. I just had to find out!!

The traffic cop stepped out from behind his vehicle into my lane and stood with his hand up. I fizzed past him with my foot hard on the middle pedal and stopped waaaaaaaaay up the road. Drum brakes :D

$20 fine and $20 court costs. 1981.

I got my first speeding ticket 3 months after getting my licence.

I was driving a 1956 Morris Minor 950cc side valve. Down hill at 70MPH. I just had to find out!!

The traffic cop stepped out from behind his vehicle into my lane and stood with his hand up. I fizzed past him with my foot hard on the middle pedal and stopped waaaaaaaaay up the road. Drum brakes :D

$20 fine and $20 court costs. 1981.

I got my first speeding ticket a few weeks before my 16th birthday/getting my driver license. Doing 80 on a motorcycle on the 210 freeway, splitting lanes, running late for my zero period calculus class. Had my "license" suspended for one month. I'm just glad that the judge didn't know about CA motorcycle laws... I shouldn't have been on the freeway and, therefore, should have had my license suspended until I was 18. That would have totally f@cked up my social life. ;)

How many tickets have I gotten since then? Enough so that I lost count. How much money have I paid to the government and traffic schools? Enough so that I lost count. How many tickets have I gotten out of in court? Enough so that I lost count. How many times a day do I break traffic laws? Enough. :)

For "totaled" ...can I count the rail (dune) buggy that my buddy and I undertook the building off in high school? Only to have the project "taken over" from us.

When mom didn't get that in the divorce, that buggy meet it's own Friday Flame War...by way of the torch.

i used to race motocross and am a former drag racer so this i where i acquired my driving skills or lack there of. i've totally wrecked at least 8 motorcycles including the one in 1985 which i was on when hit by an amtrak passenger train. the score of that confrontation was "train - 1", "dan - 0" :wacko: . i have yet to wreck anything on four wheels but did manage to blow up a few engines and transmissions in my drag racing days which only resulted in a sore wallet.

Porsche Twin Turbo nuff said :ph34r:

Those are happy miles too fast...

3.2 DME Remapped Carrera, Open Cup Exhaust and exhaust porting, Henny (Open Division in Cars; Standard in SV.Guns B) One of two manufacturers should sponsor me :lol: SV/Grand Prairie, I own 3 vs Porsche/ Stuttgart, I own 1 :( )

Still Happy after.....all those .....hard years of work which made me able to buy me the best the world has to offer :lol: esp. as it comes to reliability SV/Porsche, for me one of a kind! Both, performing at top level! I am the weak factor :ph34r: