Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BHP Gunsmith?

Sestock

I am looking for a quality gunsmith to work on a Browning High Power.

Criteria:

1. Quality Work

2. Reasonable Prices

3. Moderate turnaround time(most places that I have talked to are in the 90-120 day range).

I am located in the Pittsburgh area, but location of the gunsmith doesn't really matter.

Don Williams at the Action Works does excellent work on High Powers. I have shot a Hi Power exstensivley that Don built sveral years ago that has been excellent. Don also does great work on 1911's I just got back from shooting one I recieved yesterday that was absolutley top notch.

Steve.

Alex Hamilton

Ten-Ring Precision, Inc.

1449 Blue Crest Lane

San Antonio, Texas 78232

(210) 494-3063

Had him do a BHP 40 Practical. Alex added a beavertail and redid front and rear sights. The frame was refinished in Cobra Chrome by TrippResearch.

Ralph at Cylinder & Slide.

If I am not mistaken, he is also a member of the pistolsmith's guild.

Actually, the fitting of the barrel is a tad bit tricky. BHPs are noted for the flyer. Bill L. at C&S was not completely happy with the way mine was shooting so when he went and visited Irv at BarSto he took my gun. They refitted the barrel. NOW - No Fliers Ever!

That is indicative of the work at C&S.

I have Novaks white dot sights and the dots have really faded. I probably should have gone with the night sights instead. But live and learn.

• 2 months later...

One of my favorite 1911 and BHP gunsmiths is Jim Garthwaite. He is located in NE PA and does excellent work.

I am looking for a quality gunsmith to work on a Browning High Power. 

Criteria:

1.  Quality Work

2.  Reasonable Prices

3.  Moderate turnaround time(most places that I have talked to are in the 90-120 day range).

I am located in the Pittsburgh area, but location of the gunsmith doesn't really matter.