Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Peel washer vs crush washer

TitoR

I just spent an hour removing lead from my ALG Defense single chamber muzzle brake i have installed in my practice AR 22 LR. Seems like the bullets are striking the brake and shaving lead that is accumulating inside. I believe this is due to the brake been slightly off center with the bore. The brake is mounted with a crush washer. What is better for brake alignment: crush or peel washer?

Tito

I would think as long as there's a normal amount of thread engagement on the brake/muzzle threads and the barrel was threaded concentric with the bore then neither kind of timing washer could tip the brake out of alignment.

Midway shows in comes with a peel washer.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/845015/alg-defense-single-chamber-muzzle-brake-ar-15-1-2-28-thread-steel-black-nitride

Why don't you just open the hole up a little with a dremel? You're not anywhere near the rifling, just the exit hole of the brake and you could leave it on the barrel.

If you put a patch on a cleaning rod and ran it down the barrel, to near the crown, there's no chance of getting any junk were it's not wanted.

After using a 1/4" drill bit to clean the brake's exit hole, seems to me that the brake factory size should be big enough to allow for proper clearance. Hence my suspicion that the brake is misaligned. I'll revert to the peel washers, test and see if that fixes it.

Tito

I would think as long as there's a normal amount of thread engagement on the brake/muzzle threads and the barrel was threaded concentric with the bore then neither kind of timing washer could tip the brake out of alignment.

I suspect that either the the muzzle wasn't threaded correctly, or the comp wasn't threaded correctly. Crush vs. peel shouldn't make a difference in your issue.

Good luck.

Hahahah....you funny JTaylor996. The reason I ask is because if it is accurate, it is simply build up from firing of carbon and wax and lead, if it is wildly erratic it is hitting the comp. Lots of advice being thrown around without a base line....as usual for the inter-web.

Edited by kurtm

It may just be the 22lr ammo. A lot of 22lr ammo is very dirty and it may just be collecting on the comp/brake

Hahahah....you funny JTaylor996. The reason I ask is because if it is accurate, it is simply build up from firing of carbon and wax and lead, if it is wildly erratic it is hitting the comp. Lots of advice being thrown around without a base line....as usual for the inter-web.

These gentlemen are correct. .22LR ammo is filthy and deposits lead on everything. Chances are your brake and barrel are fine, especially if it is shooting straight. I had the exact same problem when firing .22LR through a Miculek brake... my solution was to replace the brake with an A2 flash hider. After all, it's not like the brake is doing anything other than looking cool.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

This guy seems to work well for me:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/538228/tactical-solutions-performance-muzzle-brake-1-2-28-thread-for-2211-rimfire-conversions-steel-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I haven't tried cleaning it yet, but it must working great 'cos I was on fie-err at the ar22 match this weekend. It was man on man, I went 6-0. When guys who normally beat me handily finished shooting they'd look over to see me already cleared, bagged, and doing yoga stretches on the line. 22LR comp is the only explanation...

... The reason I ask is because if it is accurate, it is simply build up from firing of carbon and wax and lead, if it is wildly erratic it is hitting the comp. Lots of advice being thrown around without a base line....as usual for the inter-web.

As usual, Kurt shows his wisdom. I mistakenly believed the OP was stating that rounds were hitting the comp, and my response focused on the "crush washer vs. peel washer centering the comp to the bore" aspect.

• 3 weeks later...

The layer of lead was about 1/8 to 1/4" inside the brake, which seems excessive for dirty 22LR ammo. Going over my ammo inventory records, that's after about 700 rounds.

With regards to accuracy, I was noticing a slight degradation. Went to the range after cleaning and tightening the brake, and had to adjust the sight, since impact moved off prior zero to the point that hits at 75 yards were off by 6".

Have not checked leading after shooting 200 rounds this weekend. Will check and post.

If evidence of leading is there, might just put a flash hider and be done with it.

Tito

The layer of lead was about 1/8 to 1/4" inside the brake, which seems excessive for dirty 22LR ammo. Going over my ammo inventory records, that's after about 700 rounds.

With regards to accuracy, I was noticing a slight degradation. Went to the range after cleaning and tightening the brake, and had to adjust the sight, since impact moved off prior zero to the point that hits at 75 yards were off by 6".

Have not checked leading after shooting 200 rounds this weekend. Will check and post.

If evidence of leading is there, might just put a flash hider and be done with it.

Tito

Here is my .22lr compensator after 500-1000 rounds of crap build-up: (the volcano like pile of lead)

nea22_lead-672x372.jpg

Larger picture: http://special.squad.fi/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/nea22_lead.jpg

Usually this does not seem to affect the accuracy, but once a small part broke off during the shooting:

IMG_9425-672x372.jpg

click for larger: http://special.squad.fi/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/IMG_9425.jpg

I use the compensator mainly to enhance the blast for IPSC timer to better be able to catch the shots.

I use the compensator mainly to enhance the blast for IPSC timer to better be able to catch the shots.

That is the big benefit of the comp on A 22. When we have steel matches I appreciate the guy has a comp on his rifle which makes the gun louder where you can pick up the shot behind the shooter and don't have to get right along the side of the gun to pick up the shot and get pelted with brass in the process