Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st 1911 Purchase advice needed

NateTSU

I am planning on purchasing a 1911 in 9mm in the near future but am coming up with more questions than answers. First off I will use the pistol for USPSA, steel challenge, outlaw steel matches and multi-gun competitions. I intend on getting one in 9mm mainly because I am currently shooting a 9mm and don't want to buy new dies and components and also 9mm is much cheaper to shoot than a 45. So far I have found a much smaller selection of 9mm 1911 ranging from Taurus and Armscor all the way to STI and Kimbers. My main question is should I start with a Taurus and upgrade parts like sights and trigger components or should I go mid range and start with a Springfield and upgrade the same items or should I spend the money up front and buy a Kimber custom II or an STI Trojan and have a pistol out o the box with good sights a good trigger, excellent fit and finish and will hold it's value if I decide to sell it down the road?

Springfield RO, trigger job, and a magwell=done. Also I have always been able to sell less expensive guns like the RO much faster and easier than something in the 1500 dollar range. The RO also wont lose its value, people love Springfields.

I would avoid the Taurus. They are not built from the best parts and the customer service is not as good as Springfield.

A Springfield with some minor parts swapping and a trigger job will get you a long way. I shoot a 45 caliber Springfield Range Officer. I've installed a magwell, a couple extended controls and gave it a trigger job. I'm a gunsmith so I can do the work myself. If you need to pay someone else to do the work it is often cheaper to buy a gun that comes ready to go out of the box. This is where you will see the recommendations for the more expensive pistols.

I have 2 Pointman 9 and love them. I added the Perman grip (large hands), Dawson no gap magwell and a trigger job. I use Dawson mags. You might try a WTB post in the classified section. Both of mine came from there.

I am not a gunsmith but I have some experience working on guns, is it a major project to do a trigger job or is it buy replacement parts and springs and simply swap them out. Dawson Precision offers a Competition Ready Pistol Springfield RO that is in my price range that has everything that I'm looking for. Depending on the degree of difficulty I might be able to do the trigger job myself or have Dawson do it if I purchased the pistol from them. I know the 10 round magazine capacity isn't ideal for 3 gun but I don't have the funds for a 2011 and the 1911 fits everywhere else besides the 3gun game. I just might have two extra reloads that double stack guys don't have per stage.

I would recommend either a Springfield Range Officer or the STI Trojan. The basic difference between the two besides cost are that the RO has a forged frame, and the Trojan is a 70 series 1911. Dawson precision provides competition ready package (CRP) configurations that will set you up with a magwell, .100 fiber front sight, and a drilled & tapped mag release (with lo-pro button). This package does not include a trigger job, but you may choose to select an upgraded trigger group before having that taken care of anyway.

Everyone has their personal preference when it comes to 1911's and accessories, so I'd recommend asking to handle a fellow shooter's SS at a local match and see what feel right to you. For the most part you will get what you pay for, but at some point you will reach diminishing returns. Decide whether you want a workhorse range gun, or something higher end; but in the end a competition gun must be reliable.

Have someone do the trigger job, its not just swapping parts. If they know what they are doing 2.5-3 pounds with factory parts is very doable. I like the techwell xt but ymmv. Try an ext mag release before you buy, some people love them, some don't.

My idea of a good trigger would be around 3lb clean break and so slop or creep. If it involves fitting parts then I will have a competent gunsmith work on it. The CRP looks very appealing, it's in my price range, has everything I am looking to start with. I would honestly rather have a workhorse that is reliable over a high end show piece that I am afraid to put a scratch on. So as of now the CRP Springfield RO looks like a front runner. Can someone please explain what a tool-less guide rod is and why it is desirable, and also what a 70 series is?

Edited by NateTSU

The tool-less guide rod is a full length guide rod that requires no tools to disassemble the gun. I prefer a GI-style short guide rod, but to each their own.

A 70-series frame doesn't have a firing pin safety. The Colt-style firing pin safety adds about a pound to the trigger pull. If the firing pin block is operated by the grip safety like on the Smith & Wesson, you can experience misfires if you do not fully depress the grip safety.

Another vote for the Springfield RO. You get a good forged frame and slide, with good fit and a good barrel. The rest of the stuff you can replace later as it wears. Trigger pull is not great out of the box, but settles in after about 200 rounds. Change the mainspring housing parts to conventional and use an 18-19 lb mainspring. That will get your trigger pull down to 3.5lbs and still work with the Ti firing pin.

If you don't depress the grip safety far enough on a 70 series you won't have any fire !

Yes, but...

If you've handled some of the Smith & Wesson models with the firing pin block, you'll notice they need to be depressed further. I've seen a couple go back because they allowed the trigger to move before the firing pin block was completely moved, causing misfires.

You can take the offending parts out, but I prefer to start with a 70 series.

I was in a very similar situation to you. I went with a Dan Wesson valor, but i wasn't done. The trigger was a very nice 4# trigger, which I am OK with so I didn't want it lightened any ( I also carry it)

So cost of the gun aside, I added VZ grips ~75$ shipped w/ appropriate grip screws. Mainspring housing + mag guide $75 shipped from DW. $100 shipped for new Dawson sights (the heinies were too slow to pick up the front sight, despite being quality sights). Then there's mag cost, so whatever you want there. I don't know how the Check Mate 9mm mags are, but the 45's have performed great for me and they're inexpensive ($21 ea or less)

I recently went to back up this gun and opted for a "mid range" gun (S&W E series) and I have zero pride in ownership of this thing, it's not bad, but it's not great. Same bits as above, but decided to throw the grip bushing Wilson Combat mag well in place of a proper MSH mag guide.

Now if it was purely a gamer gun I would probably get a proper magwell like a Dawson Ice.

I looked at ROs but really wanted some front strap checkering, and at that price point the E series was "it" that featured that. A lot of people still do a sight swap on the Range Officer, and skateboard tape the front strap.

I would look at some VZ operator II grips regardless which way you go, I freaking love those things.

All of this to say: If you're only going to buy one and keep it, spend the money and get into a Dan Wesson or an STI. If your'e just trying it out, hop in with a Range officer

I have both an STI Trojan and a Dan Wesson Pointman in 9mm. Hands down the PM-9 Dan Wesson is the better gun. Best out of the box trigger, better fit and finish. Add a magwell and some 10 round mags and your ready to play.

I haven't shot any Springfield's but I have played with dozens and all of them could use trigger work out of the box. Fit has been hit and miss on many.

As for the Taurus, I'd probably steer clear if your are planning on shooting a lot as in 1,000's of rounds. I just don't think the quality is there over the long haul for a competition pistol IMHO.

Taurus is the poorest choice. My choice was a 9mm STI Trojan and it has become on of my favorite pistols.

Springer's will require more work and parts to get a really good trigger. Haven't played with a Dan Wesson

so don't have a comment. It did take a little work to get my Trojan to run 100 % but once tuned it has run

outstanding for about five years and over 30,000 rounds. Had it hard chromed once tuning was finished.

Slide to frame still tight. Trigger job done using all stock parts. Installed and Ed Brown extended mag

release with light spring, Ed Brown mag well, old school but I like to pull down on the nose of the

magazine on the load command to be sure it seated and like the angle on the funnel once it was blended.

Dawson front sight, Wilson magazines with two coils removed from the base of the magazine.

Using a 15lb main spring and a 10lb recoil spring works well with heavy bullets and 135gn lead.

Fun gun!

Have someone do the trigger job, its not just swapping parts. If they know what they are doing 2.5-3 pounds with factory parts is very doable.

my experience with 2 different STI's is that a 2.5-3lb crisp trigger is doable with factory parts even if you don't know what you are doing.

The Trojan is defiantly not what I would call checkered. I much prefer skatetape the STIppling.

The Springfields that are hit or miss on fit are usually the GIs and the loaded. The ROs/TRP/Trophy match are fitted much better.

I took apart my 1911 to do a trigger job, and decided to let someone else do the trigger job that I trusted (small parts made me nervous)

I will definently check out Brazos, I can change the front sight for less than 40 dollars to a fiber optic sight. I have to say the Dan Wesson pistols are above my price range. The STI and CRP RO are at the top end of the spectrum for me. I will still need a new holster mag pouches and 3 more mags. Anybody have a recommendation for a good holster and mag holders?