Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

aluminium or polymer throw lever?

flipnrr

need some help coz i just got my new razor 1-6 and that mag ring is really tight! never used a lever since the rest of my scopes are easy to turn. need some input between mgm's switchview being too rigid and can damage the scope or the eagle eye breaks easy when they get snagged or bumped?

Vortex will loosen up the adjustment if you send it in. Just make sure you tell them you are between matches so they put a priority on it or it may be a while. This is a good idea whether you add a lever or not.

oh didn't know they can do that but does it have any negative affect on it though?

I've got aluminum ones from MGM and Charles Drissel (check the vendor tent), both have been flawless. I've not had the best of luck with the universal polymer ones and wouldn't trust them under match conditions. For coyote hunting conditions they work fine.

Edited by Shooter115

This is about 10 minutes worth of work and 10 cents worth of scrap kydex. I'll probably redo it to make it look it better, but it works great.

9fc46c34-69b4-46ac-ab2e-ef57b0bbe4fc_zps

If i send you a quarter will you send me 2? Oh, and keep the change. :roflol:

The reason I decided to have the factory loosen mine was that I use the Warne RAMP mount and an offset red-dot, and there is no room for a throw-lever between the adjustment ring and the dot sight. Vortex says there is no drawback to loosening it other than the possibility of inadvertent power change if you rub it against something.

I use the Vortex Switchview. Works like a champ. It is pretty expensive compared to the zip tie models.

But something about putting a zip tie on a $1300 scope on top of a rifle that costs considerably more just strikes me wrong.

But, that is just me.

The reason I decided to have the factory loosen mine was that I use the Warne RAMP mount and an offset red-dot, and there is no room for a throw-lever between the adjustment ring and the dot sight. Vortex says there is no drawback to loosening it other than the possibility of inadvertent power change if you rub it against something.

Not to derail....but how much looser is it?

thanks for the replies really a big help! just emailed vortex and haven't yet get any info from their tech guys. so the switchview is much prefered and poly breaks frequently for me i just don't wanna run levers for the reason it might snag on something and damage the scope but from some of you it's not a problem so i'll see what vortex will do then it will be the switchview.

Edited by flipnrr

I use the Vortex Switchview. Works like a champ. It is pretty expensive compared to the zip tie models.

But something about putting a zip tie on a $1300 scope on top of a rifle that costs considerably more just strikes me wrong.

But, that is just me.

I've got the MGM lever. It works great.

+1

are vortex and mgm levers the same?

When I bought my scope lever from Vortex, they were MGM made. It wasn't hidden at all. I don't know who makes them today. But, I'll say that since Vortex uses the trademarked word "switchview" on their web site I'd bet that MGM makes them. It's their trademark, not Vortex's.

But, that is just me.

I've got the MGM lever. It works great.

+1
are vortex and mgm levers the same?

The aluminum levers are made by MGM and then branded by Vortex.

I broke my MGM throw on my Vortex after two years of use and just went to a polymer one after buying a new MGM throw which were out of stock. I like the bigger handle on the polymer one but we'll see how long it lasts getting tossed into barrels.