Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are your competition Grips?

Seancass

What grips are you running on your competition gun?

I'm shooting a 929 in USPSA, ICORE and Steel shoots(well, just everything I can!). I like the factory grips, but I feel like the finger grooves aren't quite right for my hand. I'm shopping for a new set without finger grooves. I'd love to get my hands on a few sets, but that may not be an option.

Sean

I use the big butt no finger groove rubber Hogues.

I have a extra set if you want to try them at the next match or you can check them out on my gun.

I will be at South Central the 31st and June 7th and Silver Creek on the 14th.

I shoot PPC 1500 match, and use KN Nill grips, specifically, their "Master II" model in size XL.

One of the best investments I've ever made in my shooting, perfect fit and promotes a repeatable grip that actually makes the revolver feel lighter. They're also quite beautiful.

SW01X8_web.copy1.jpg?ver=1351500777

Grip choice seems to be affected by which hand you reload with. I reload with my strong hand so I grip and re-grip then gun each time I reload. So I like a smooth grip. No checkering, rubber, finger grooves or grip tape. I also use the JM trick of a bit of corn starch to avoid stickiness in case a bit of grip adjustment is required.

I use a Hogue big butt, no finger grooves on my 627 super. I got the big butt for going prone on the make or break stage of Far and Near at the IRC, but now I'm used to it and like it for everything. You also can sand off a bit of the wood on the left side to help the moons come and go and not get hung up on the grip. I might even put a couple drill holes through the sides of the big butt to cut a little weight from unnecessary material. And I saw a picture at one time of Neil Hogue's with holes. Ok, and I thought it looked cool...

I have large hands and I like the Hogue grip off the Xframe revolvers. Bigger so they fill up my hands great and they are cheap so I have them (same grip feel) on my 625, 610 and 627.

Neal in AZ

Grip choice seems to be affected by which hand you reload with. I reload with my strong hand so I grip and re-grip then gun each time I reload. So I like a smooth grip. No checkering, rubber, finger grooves or grip tape. I also use the JM trick of a bit of corn starch to avoid stickiness in case a bit of grip adjustment is required.

I use a Hogue big butt, no finger grooves on my 627 super. I got the big butt for going prone on the make or break stage of Far and Near at the IRC, but now I'm used to it and like it for everything. You also can sand off a bit of the wood on the left side to help the moons come and go and not get hung up on the grip. I might even put a couple drill holes through the sides of the big butt to cut a little weight from unnecessary material. And I saw a picture at one time of Neil Hogue's with holes. Ok, and I thought it looked cool...

Got that picture still ?

Sean

I use the big butt no finger groove rubber Hogues.

I have a extra set if you want to try them at the next match or you can check them out on my gun.

I will be at South Central the 31st and June 7th and Silver Creek on the 14th.

Paul, if I can resist the urge to hit Buy Now on midway, I'll take you up on that offer. I'm torn between smooth wood and grippy rubber(or wood) and I simply lack the experience to know which i prefer. I might have to spend the money and see which works better for me, but I'd love to save a hundred bucks if i can!

My current thought is that I can easily add grip tape to smooth wood, but making rubber non-sticky could be more challenging.

Hogue big butt grips that started with finger grooves but I used a Dremel to remove them. I also took some rubber off the grip behind the trigger guard to allow for a little higher grip. I hope it lasts forever because I love that damn grip.

I use Dog Butts.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Is that home made?

You guys that are sanding down your Hogue grips with Dremmels what specifically are you using to remove the material? I might try it on a spare grip I have but don't want it to look like I used a beaver to gnaw on it.

Is that home made?

You guys that are sanding down your Hogue grips with Dremmels what specifically are you using to remove the material? I might try it on a spare grip I have but don't want it to look like I used a beaver to gnaw on it.

I use a dremel and the drum type sanding adapter, start with rough and finish with fine, and then buff it up with some of the polishing wax ( bought a hogue )

Yep, its home made. It uses a longer grip screw. Lots of dremel and rotory file work. It fits on a standard Hogue square butt conversion grip. I made a few and gave them as gifts to a few of my shooting buddies.

Is that home made?

• 1 month later...

I tried the Hogue Rubber Big Butts (no finger grooves) and didn't feel they offered any distinct advantage and they had a bad tendency to pivot the gun around on a table start.

Tried the Miculek grips and they are ok, but again don't feel they offer any distinct advantage and at major they beat the heck out of my thumb base.

Tried Hogue wood and same as Miculek grips.

I've settled on plain Hogue Rubber Grips that I dremel away most of the finger grooves and flatten the upper left tang out for more clearance. Seems to work as good as anything and they don't beat my hands up.

I run the Miculek grips on my 686, but I am running mild loads for ICORE, about 130PF 158gr. They don't beat me up, and I feel that my transitions from WHO and SHO are much easier because my hand can move easily around the grip until I feel my index points for my hand. IMO the checkering/ texturing provides to much grip and I am unable to manipulate the grip in my hand as it may be necessary sometimes.

I use the Trausch grips on all of my revo's. Mod.10, 64 ppc, 686 bianchi, 625 and 929, i like the small beavertail for consistent holsterdraw. The models for the N frame are a little big for me but you can modify the L frame model or use the model for the Manhurin Mr73.