Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Release Buttons

tyler2you

I'm having trouble activating the mag release on my 2011 and have to shift my grip more than I'd like to get it to work. The current release is threaded and I have a Dawson Low Profile Button installed.

I've seen the CR Speed Snake Skin Button and the STI Extended Button. Does anyone have experience with either one? Or, should I be looking for an extended mag catch?

Thanks.

I have small hands and like you have trouble reaching the magazine release without shifting my grip. When I went to the 2011 platform I tried the STI oversized button and have used it ever since. Two things I found were (1) Do not use too light of a magazine release spring, I have found the normal spring to work best and (2) slightly angle the button upwards towards the safety, this will take a little work to find the perfect spot. This serves 2 purposes, first it keeps from hitting the button with your weak hand and second it makes it easier to hit during mag changes.

I have small hands and like you have trouble reaching the magazine release without shifting my grip. When I went to the 2011 platform I tried the STI oversized button and have used it ever since. Two things I found were (1) Do not use too light of a magazine release spring, I have found the normal spring to work best and (2) slightly angle the button upwards towards the safety, this will take a little work to find the perfect spot. This serves 2 purposes, first it keeps from hitting the button with your weak hand and second it makes it easier to hit during mag changes.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

I have the same problem. I've been using an extended Dawson mag button and still occasionally had problems activating the mag release. I recently purchased the CR Speed Snakeskin button and it seems to have fixed my problem.

Using a Wilson which is just a checkered, round, raised, oversize button. It works well for my medium-sized hand. The STI and CR Snakeskin look really good, never tried them.

Edited by GunBugBit

Have a STI Sentry 1911, put in a Wilson extended have used in a Springfield Loaded and Kimber,went in and worked no problems. GOT for the Sentry and 1-too big to fit in frame.

2-once in,locking screw would not turn enough to lock the release in and let it function.

3-once screw lock fitted to fully lock very hard to seat mags.

First STI, so this common on STI? or problem with mine or the parts? BTW took parts from Springfield and they wouldn't work either.

I have the same problems.

Have the larger Dawson's button, but still have to shift grip to activate.

I ordered the Aradondo button. After getting it in, am not sure the plastic will be robust enough.

Will give it a try, but will probably end up w the STI extended myself.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there an oversized (diameter-wise) mag catch? My old STI grip's magcatch hole is a bit bigger that wont hold the mag catch in place and let it slide past the grips left side. Maybe Its worn with age and use.