Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akai Vs Cheely Open Guns

Maximis228

Smartest thing you are doing is buying an Open gun from a known pistol smith. You want it to function and you will be sending it back for repairs and upgrades. If you can't wait months then buy a used one.

Matt has done me very well.

I still remember the thread here a few years back about a guy buying a used Cheely limited gun and something being wrong with it. Matt chimed in and told the guy to send him the gun and he would fix it at no charge. I just don't know how much better customer service can get than that. :cheers:

If a ckarms limited gun is purchased from ckarms is it being built by Matt or who ever in on the bench that day.

I am sure Matt has shop help on occasion but rest assured he makes sure they are right and tested before they leave his shop.

Also, Matt still builds Cheely guns as well.

• 2 months later...

If I were to guess it's probably because it was assembled at Bobby's shop and not Matt's. Bobby and Matt are partners in CK Arms.

Correct. For CK guns Grips and smaller parts are made by Matt and sent to Bobby who makes the frames and puts the guns together. Both still build custom guns under their own banner as well.

Either would both make a nice pistol

Never owned a Cheely

My Akai is the nicest built pistol I've ever owned. Including a old Wilson Combat when Bill Wilson was building the guns

Every detail of the Akai is well done and no flaws found to date

Fortunately I have had guns from both builders. Neither made me better but I felt great owning them. JMO but I prefer the Akai. The previous post by Neil is from a gun he purchased from me. He seems to agree?

Not even considering Infinity??? ;)

From what I hear both are functionally great guns, but they do have different aesthetics and personalities, so maybe consider that when making your decision.

Also I'm not sure, but do either of them shoot more matches here in the Midwest? If you ever wanted to talk to them, or give them your gun to take a look at that would be the easiest/cheapest way.

I just ordered and will receive my new CK Arms Open Gun tomorrow, but with the RTS2 sight. What sight did you have on your gun originally?

it had the same c-more but with vertical mount.

i liked the horizontal setback more so i swapped it which led to changing the zig racker and modifying it to clear the set back. ie. Bending it

My limited gun is an infinity and i love it but i wanted to get into open quickly this year and i also did not want to spend the extra money. That said, i will have an open sv in the future. There is just something about them, i dont know what it is but its there.

I really like my CKarms open gun.

It runs great and shoots flat.

I changed the trigger to an SV and added a CK horizontal mount with the Zig racker to match.

9mm or 38 super ?

9mm