Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Shooting Assoc

So here is the question, Will this new sport make it? It looks a lot looser than another sport I have tried.

TACTICAL SHOOTING ASSOCIATION

Here is what the web site states:

From TSA Web site

What is TSA?

The Tactical Shooting Association (TSA) is a shooting sports discipline that involves the use of “Real World” fighting guns.

TSA is not to be confused with IPSC or IDPA, nor is it intended to be a replacement or substitute for either sport. TSA uses a completely different method of scoring, has more firearms divisions and fewer rules and restrictions.

Weapons used in TSA competition are “Practical/Tactical” Pistols, Rifles, Carbines, Sub-Guns, and Shotguns. Courses of fire are designed to resemble realistic, urban self-defense encounters and/or anti-terrorist type survival scenarios.

Shooters competing in TSA events are required to use handguns, holsters and related equipment that is suitable for everyday concealed carry. Long arms used must be suitable for home defense and/or counter-terrorist survival purposes.

The main goals of the Tactical Shooting Association are:

• To test the gun handling and shooting skills of the competitor

• To test the practicality of the firearms and related equipment

• To encourage the evolution of tactical shooting technique

• To encourage the evolution of related equipment

I like the "Fewer Rules and Restrictions" ;)

Regards,

So here is the question, Will this new sport make it? It looks a lot looser than another sport I have tried.

TACTICAL SHOOTING ASSOCIATION

Here is what the web site states:

From TSA Web site

What is TSA?

The Tactical Shooting Association (TSA) is a shooting sports discipline that involves the use of “Real World” fighting guns.

TSA is not to be confused with IPSC or IDPA, nor is it intended to be a replacement or substitute for either sport. TSA uses a completely different method of scoring, has more firearms divisions and fewer rules and restrictions.

Weapons used in TSA competition are “Practical/Tactical” Pistols, Rifles, Carbines, Sub-Guns, and Shotguns. Courses of fire are designed to resemble realistic, urban self-defense encounters and/or anti-terrorist type survival scenarios.

Shooters competing in TSA events are required to use handguns, holsters and related equipment that is suitable for everyday concealed carry. Long arms used must be suitable for home defense and/or counter-terrorist survival purposes.

The main goals of the Tactical Shooting Association are:

• To test the gun handling and shooting skills of the competitor

• To test the practicality of the firearms and related equipment

• To encourage the evolution of tactical shooting technique

• To encourage the evolution of related equipment

I like the "Fewer Rules and Restrictions" ;)

Regards,

...Then go look at the pistol divisions. Restrictions galore! :o

Looks like somebody else wants to come up with a new sport because they can't win in USPSA. I love how every time somebody gets a bug up their ass about something they have to come up with a NEW sport that is supposed to be real life. You want real, march your sorry ass down to the local Marine recruiter. He'll send you off an a reality trip with real guns and real bad guys shooting back at you!

This is supposed to be "self-defense" oriented, yet they specifically prohibit the use of hollow point and soft point ammo? Riiiiight. And it looks like they got the same type of loosey-goosey safety and FTDR rules as another sport.

It will be interesting to see if any of these spin-off organizations actually let their "members" vote on who will service on the board and as officers of the organization.

The TSA is explicit about "We are in charge of the rules. We saw IPSC go a direction we didn't want it to, therefore we must always be in control".

I'm not absolutely sure that TSA or the new IDSA will either fill any real niche. In the end, it all comes down to the shooting. It doesn't matter where they have to carry their holster, what they have to hide behind, what size box the gun fits in, or how the stage scenarion is read, TGO and Dave Sevigny would still kick our asses. I think we'd all be better in the long run if we quit whining about equipment rules and just became more proficient with whatever equipment we choose to use.

That being said... tell me the rules and point me to the range!!! I'll shoot USPSA, IDPA, NRA action pistol, GSSF, TSA, IDSA or anything else that goes bang!!! I love to shoot, and am always looking for an excuse to do more of it. I wish the new organizations the best of luck, and look forward to shooting a match if one ever happens in my area!!!

I guess I have a bit of a problem with a couple of TSA things. It is a monarchy like IDPA. Members have no say in the way things are done. Secondly, I don't care for folks, Middlebrooks, that post their own quotes.

It sounds just like all the other shooting organizations to me. You must wear your gun in a holster on a belt through belt loops. What's the deal with all these belt loop fetishes anyway? Not even 'tactical' shooters can live without belt loops? I'm not even talking suspenders or braces here, suppose a guy wants to go to the mall in his Green Bay NFL warm up suit? Can't take a gun in a clip on holster because there are no belt loops? Not tactical or real world enough to put a clip on IWB holster in your sweats when you go out to walk the dog? You can bet your bottom dollar when I quit my job I'm going to start a REAL practical shooting organization that will let people who don't like belt loops in their velour travel suits have a place to compete!

It will be interesting to see if any of these spin-off organizations actually let their "members" vote on who will service on the board and as officers of the organization.

The TSA is explicit about "We are in charge of the rules. We saw IPSC go a direction we didn't want it to, therefore we must always be in power".

We implies plural. The TSA president is the sole authority over the rules, and the board of advistor exists only to make suggestions to the president/founder. To quote from the FAQ in the forums on the TSA web site :

Actually, I am fully responsible for TSA rules & restrictions, as I have the final say. They (BOA) are a sounding board for new idea’s and for solving problems.

Hmmm My version of Tactical is use what you got and how you use it.

If you want a reality based competition then real carry gun and gear, hot, RO at any given moment screams "Threat!!!!" you fire your 3 shots at 3 yards and either go home or are "dead" and banned from competition for life. Or RO or the B) target pummels you before you shoot. Now that's reality based competition. :ph34r: I am taking names of interested people. And by the way No-one is in charge :rolleyes:

I really like the part about the holster test where they take your LOADED pistol and see if it falls out of the holster when turned upside down. Is that stupidity at it's finest or what? Darn, your $1500 pistol hit the ground so you get a FTDR. Never mind that it may have discharged and killed someone.

38 oz max weight- I guess they didn't learn from the IDPA rules that this is where much of the problem is.

I think I will pass. Sounds worse than IDPA.

I think multi-gun rules are about the most efficient there are...if people want to shoot a particular way or use different equipment, its not a big deal to create another class/division within an existing match if there is enough interest.

Regardless of the rules...some people will always be there to win, and win only, and will find ways to exploit the rules.