Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Buffer

KOBGT

I don't use one in my open gun. I have never seen enough wear and tear on the guide rod, slide, or frame to think that I need one. On my limited gun I run a shock buff. With an 11# recoil spring and 16# main spring the head of the guide rod was showing a lot of damage.

• 3 months later...

Have the same question... I have two guns from the same top tier makes, one has the buffer, the other one - doesn't.

The one with it feels softer, it is more pleasant to shoot, but the one without is stiffer, but maybe a tad more controllable, so I added one to the second gun just to try it.

A question - are there any negatives to having the buffer?

Have the same question... I have two guns from the same top tier makes, one has the buffer, the other one - doesn't.

The one with it feels softer, it is more pleasant to shoot, but the one without is stiffer, but maybe a tad more controllable, so I added one to the second gun just to try it.

A question - are there any negatives to having the buffer?

As long as the gun runs reliably with a buff, I don't see any negatives. You do have to keep an eye on them so they don't come apart and cause a malfunction. I pop in a new one around every 1,000 rounds.

Hello: The shock buff can sometimes cause a lot of problems. When they wear they can slow the slide down by rubbing on it. They can also cause a bounce effect that messes up ejection. I don't use them and have not seen a problem when the gun is built right. I saw an open gun Benny Hill built that was on it's 3rd rebarrel with well over 100,000 rounds through it and it still was shooting great with original slide and frame. Thanks, Eric

Hello: The shock buff can sometimes cause a lot of problems. When they wear they can slow the slide down by rubbing on it. They can also cause a bounce effect that messes up ejection. I don't use them and have not seen a problem when the gun is built right. I saw an open gun Benny Hill built that was on it's 3rd rebarrel with well over 100,000 rounds through it and it still was shooting great with original slide and frame. Thanks, Eric

Amen !!!